FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RIAA/American/British settings for Mono records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
UchidaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UchidaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIAA/American/British settings for Mono records
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:00pm
Hello everyone,

First of all, nice to meet you and thank you for all the helpful posts that helped me in the purchase of my first Graham Slee piece of equipment.

I am the happy owner of an Accession phono preamp that I have been using compulsively since the month of May. I listen to all kinds of music, but I think these past few months I've been using the Mono switch on the Accession more than the Stereo switch (I'm a sucker for classic jazz). I use a MM Stereo cartridge (a Clearaudio Virtuoso v2) and have come to the conclusion that I vastly prefer the sound of Mono records played with the Mono switch on. However, when it comes to whether the record was originally EQ'd by RIAA, American or British standards, I get really confused. So far, I play most records made before 1958 with their American or British setting, since as far as I know, RIAA was not standardized at the time. I always assume for records from the 1950's that if RIAA was used, it should be printed somewhere on the label (and it often is). 
However, I just purchased Sony's beautiful "Bob Dylan, The Original Mono Recordings" box-set (I encourage you to do the same, by the way!) and the "faithful reproductions" of the original albums' cover art, cardboard jackets and labels obviously don't say squat about the records' EQ. I was wondering if anyone knew, for these 1960's Mono records from the Stereo era, if RIAA EQ was also used or if each record company used its own EQ, in which case the switch on the Accession should be set to whatever sounds best for each particular record. I also welcome any insight on the subject and am of course open to any kind of recommendation regarding the use of the Accession!

Thanks again for everything,

Bruno

Edited by UchidaT - 21 Sep 2016 at 2:40pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:48pm
Hi Bruno, even if they used the original 7.5 IPS mastering tapes, the EQ was put there by the cutting lathe - it's not on the tapes although the de-essing will be. Therefore the new pressings will be from new stampers cut on a modern lathe which I'd think will be RIAA.

For a "better mono" experiment consider making a shorted phono plug and insert it into one of the stereo inputs (which mutes it) - plug left or right from the cartridge (your choice) into the other input, and with mono selected both outputs will be the same - although slightly lower in level. You might prefer it that way.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:10am
I agree with Graham, modern releases will be RIAA. I have some modern but trebly records where the US (CBS, -16dB) setting is helpful but I know I am really EQ'ing to meet my preference.

My experiences of different EQ on old records are similar to yours Bruno. I wrote about the options on the Revelation M I had. The LF option was good occasionally to tighten the bass or add some body. However I found that it was the HF options I used most to address bright and dull sounding records. As happy Accession owners we know it includes that useful feature!

My thoughts on playing older LP's was that RIAA was fine unless I had a record that needed something IMO. I can't be certain it was matching the cutting (reference) or fitting my preference in sound. I've yet to find a definitive 'what EQ for what label' despite reading a lot of articles and manuals on the internet so I use my ears and switch if the record sounds wrong to me. In effect it's a treble cut/boost with +/-2dB at 10kHz and very well designed with it!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:38am
Welcome to the forum Bruno!

I too am a very happy Accession user - and a lover of classic jazz, too, with a slowly increasing collection of mono records. Like Jon I use the EQ "to taste". You can be too hung up on being "correct" IMO - if something sounds better to you with the "wrong" EQ setting then go for it! Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
reflectingpool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflectingpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:25am
I've been listening to the Accession USA loaner for the past week. I have it hooked up to the Elevator EXP and a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC with CuSat and Lautus as interconnects. I've experimented with the RIAA/American/British settings while listening to records covering classical records from mostly 1960-present along with rock and pop.

At first I tried the RIAA setting since that's the "correct" setting according to the manual. However, on many of the classical recordings (especially recently recorded ones), the violins were a bit harsh for my taste. I tried lowering the loading on the Elevator to compensate. Then I tried the different curves. The American curve took the edge off the violins slightly. When I tried the British curve, the sound is more forward for what I presume are the midrange instruments in the orchestral mix. Feels like I moved from the balcony seats to the forward orchestra seats. This might be technically less accurate, but I prefer the warmer sound and lets me listen at lower volumes in my small New York studio apartment.

For rock and pop with vocals, I noticed a less drastic change than with orchestral music but British is still a warmer sound. I guess it's not a surprise that I prefer this sound since my current phono preamp uses tubes. I ended up just leaving the switch on British for everything now.

Edited by reflectingpool - 24 Apr 2017 at 2:25am
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:20am
Thanks for your comments, Daniel. The flexibility of the Accession/Elevator combo is really useful, and though I tend to use RIAA most of the time, like you I use the British option to get a warmer sound. I've a SS Zephyr (a MIMC Star) too  . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:42pm
Maybe I've misunderstood, I think the British setting is slightly treblier than RIAA. It does make strings stand out more, maybe that's "warmer"? Either way it's great to tweak the sound to taste.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic