FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Revelation M, PSU1, Lautus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
fbpearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fbpearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revelation M, PSU1, Lautus
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 2:42am
Full disclosure-consumer and music lover, amateur musician, not a reviewer 

I obtained a Reflex M, PSU1 and Lautus through the US loaner program-thanks Bruce!
It says something fundamentally good about a company that finds a way to get the items into a home system for tryout. Many of us can't even hear the products in a local hi fi shop anymore as most of those have gone by the wayside and the ones that survive (understandably) de-emphasize the 2 channel offerings. Bruce's willingness to cooperate helped make this easy for me to do. This is a first in my many years of this hobby. 

Rest of my system: WTL Amadeus TT with Grado Reference Sonata (MM/MI), DeHavilland Ultrverve linestage, Bryston 4B SST, Vandersteen 3A Sig speakers. Various cables, mostly Blue Jeans.

Hookup was a breeze. Lautus cable between Revelation and linestage.

Started with Robert Glasper Trio, "Covered."  Piano trio recorded live with an audience in Capitol Studios. 
Right away the bass and subtleties of the percussion were incredibly lifelike. 

Next Harry Belafonte-Belafonte Sings the Blues-reissue.
Great midrange on the voice and some very pleasantly forceful guitar. No clipping or distortion and lots of detail and music coming through. 

Then some older classical and jazz which required non-RIAA adjustments. Sometimes my judgement of the best sound was in agreement with the recommendations in the manual and sometimes not. This is probably a function of my less than ideal room. 

I also appreciated the ability to use the mono switch on some of the above earlier recordings as my linestage does not have that ability. This clearly makes a difference.

Continued listening over the trial period-new details from familiar recordings, fast with involving sound. 
This preamp is a marvel and a testament to superb engineering done by folks with a real love for the music. Highly recommended. I also like that it seems to slay some audiophile dogma-"no switches=audio purity" "circuit boards are bad as electrons have to squeeze though" and other things that we've all heard-or maybe I'm just not a "true" audiophile! 

Would love to have some explanation (for dummies!) regarding what the numbers/units on the front panel mean. 

Keep up the good work GSP. 
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 3:36am
Great review, Bennett.
  You will find...
The forum members will help understanding audio equipment setup and control settings.

Graham and I have posted some clarifications later in this topic.

Here to help,

Edited by BAK - 16 Jul 2016 at 6:58pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 7:01am
Hi re the numbers on the revelation I guess you mean the against each of the switches?

If you check out the information on Graham's website there is a detailed section on the differing equalisation curves for the revelation and jazz club (personally I find the text on the jazz club more user friendly to follow).

Good look - I had a revelation M and was very good!
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:50pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:27am
Bruce asked me to clarify what the switches on the Revelation do.

The markings on them coincide with the "turnover" and "rolloff" found here: http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html

I included three turnover frequencies: 250Hz; 375Hz; and 500Hz. There is 3dB difference in level between each one. So, for example, when you look at a record needing 200Hz and you use 250Hz there is only going to be a very slight difference in level at that frequency, and probably well within the tolerance of the recording equipment at the time.

Rolloffs are selected by the other two switches. These are the relative levels at 10kHz. A modern RIAA record calls for -13.7dB. A Decca FFRR LP calls for -11dB (usually), and American NAB (NARTB) call for -16dB.

The other rolloffs are -5dB and 0dB (centre off's) which many 78s call for.

The webpage Bob referred to gives suggestions as to their use with different record labels but the "WAMS" page deals with them in greater detail. The instruction sheet included with the Jazz Club and Revelation phono stages is a condensed version of all this, but it is better in my opinion to consult the two webpages linked so far, to find the closest match to the label in question.

Even after all this it is often a case that tuning by ear gives the most acceptable result.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:10pm
I hope to clarify further...

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Bruce asked me to clarify what the switches on the Revelation do.

The markings on them coincide with the "turnover" and "rolloff" found here: http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html

I included three turnover frequencies: 250Hz; 375Hz; and 500Hz. There is 3dB difference in level between each one. So, for example, when you look at a record needing 200Hz and you use 250Hz there is only going to be a very slight difference in level at that frequency, and probably well within the tolerance of the recording equipment at the time.

Rolloffs are selected by the other two switches. These are the relative levels at 10kHz. A modern RIAA record calls for -13.7dB. A Decca FFRR LP calls for -11dB (usually), and American NAB (NARTB) call for -16dB.

The other rolloffs are -5dB and 0dB (centre off's) which many 78s call for.

The webpage Bob referred to gives suggestions as to their use with different record labels but the "WAMS" page deals with them in greater detail. The instruction sheet included with the Jazz Club and Revelation phono stages is a condensed version of all this, but it is better in my opinion to consult the two webpages linked so far, to find the closest match to the label in question.

Even after all this it is often a case that tuning by ear gives the most acceptable result.

The link Bob gave... https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/reproducing-old-records.html
  Shows a graphical representation of the WAMS link Graham gives above and gives switch settings to achieve the desired results.

The 2 switches on the left both control the rolloff of the higher frequencies only.
Only 1 switch of the 2 will be used at a time and the other kept at 0 (zero).
The amount of rolloff is marked in decibels reduced at 10 kHz in reference to 1 kHz, 1 kHz is shown at 0 dB on the graphs.
 All recording frequency equalization charts and graphs have the desired results referenced to 1 kHz.

The switch on the right selects the turnover frequencies (or break-point)
   1.  above which the high frequencies are reduced and
   2.  below same the low frequencies are boosted.
              (Keeping 1 kHz as a reference for boost and cut.)

You will notice in the charts and graphs that the lowest frequency 20 Hz is always boosted 15 dB or more referenced to 1 kHz.
NAB, FFRR, and RIAA are boosted close to 20 dB at 20 Hz.
   The shape of the curve between 20 Hz and the turnover frequency selected is also changed by changing the turnover.

Another technicality I see is the turnover frequency is + 3 dB more than the 1 kHz reference. This has to do with the frequency response of a turnover control circuit,

If one knows the age and recording response applied to the disk to be played, then the switch selections can be chosen by the referenced links above. Many times this information is not available.
 I would test-play a disk and note the settings that sound best for each disk in my collection.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:35pm
I can't much to that other than feel free to experiment and go with what sounds right. I found a few recordings came to life with the -11dB HF rolloff setting and some (old and new) sounded harsh on RIAA but -16dB helped. I struggled to find reliable references and the different preamp manuals I found elsewhere sometimes contradicted each other.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic