FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Replacement for Ortofon 2M Silver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robmoores1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:23pm
So I have probably put around 20 or so hours on the Nagaoka and it is starting to loosen up nicely. 

How does it compare with the 2M Silver? To my ears there is no comparison. It is so much more refined. No hard edges, great soundstage, nice "in the room" presentation. Treble is extended but now there is nothing brittle to irritate as with the 2M Silver. Bass is marginally deeper - maybe slightly looser but nothing to bother me.

Some of this could be the Revelation M now showing me what it can do with a better balanced cartridge (to my ears in any case) but the only variable is the Nagaoka so will have to go with that. 

Suffice to say I am very happy although I now wish I had moved further up the range - the MP110 was more of an experiment than anything. I'll enjoy what I have for now though and look to upgrade in the future. 

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
I bought an MP-300 a while back and thoroughly like it. You can hear it here:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

The MP300 must be amazing - saving up to move up the range now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Robmoores1 Robmoores1 wrote:

The MP300 must be amazing - saving up to move up the range now.

One thing I have noted with the MP100 is a significant increase in surface pops and clicks - is this something you have encountered and if so did you find a solution to the issue?
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:09pm
I can't say I noticed a change in surface noise with the MP-300 . . . Ermm Can you change VTA at all?Sometimes that can have an effect.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:30pm

I can't say I noticed a change in surface noise with the MP-300 . . . Ermm Can you change VTA at all?Sometimes that can have an effect.

I can change the VTA - would you go up or down?
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 12:12am
Suck it and see?
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic