FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Replacement for Ortofon 2M Silver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robmoores1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement for Ortofon 2M Silver
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:21pm
I have the GSP Revelation M too and looking to change my Ortofon 2M Silver. When I originally got it (as a package with the Project Classic) I was very disappointed with it - sounded bright and edgy through the Rega Phono Stage. I let it run in as recommended and after quite a few hours it was more palatable through the Rega although still not great. 

I then picked up the Revelation at a bargain price and whilst I am not back to square one it is not far off. Through the Revelation everything is improved over the Rega - especially the detail and soundstage - but that edginess to me is highlighted again probably because of how revealing the Revelation is. 

I have made a shortlist of cartridges to look at - the issue is not really being able to dem any new cart properly and so you have to go of recommendations. 

Up to now it is a very shortlist of something from Nagaoka (max here I would go for is the MP-200 albeit the 110 is supposed to be stellar for the price) or Hana. I am a bit stumped after that.

Any views on what would be recommended for a bigger lusher sound that doesn't sound too murky?
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
Hi Rob,
You're right - getting to try cartridges before buying is very difficult as few dealers
will demo them - with one or two exceptions.
The Nagaokas are well thought of & another you should add to the list is the Audio Note IQ1.
A superb tracker with excellent sound & upgradeable by changing the stylus assembly if you 
so wish. 
Good luck.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:27pm
I cannot recommend any cartridge but if you are in the north east of England there is an excellent dealer for demo facilities in Stockton who is a GSP dealer also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

I cannot recommend any cartridge but if you are in the north east of England there is an excellent dealer for demo facilities in Stockton who is a GSP dealer also.

I am quite away from the dealer you are referring to. 

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:12pm
Ortofon say:

"2M Silver phono cartridge is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) model that takes most of the characteristics of the 2M Red. 2M Silver's special feature is silver plated copper coils, the same coil wire material as in the 2M Bronze and Black models, with a reduced number of windings." (emphasis mine)

The Black can be a little strident too. It might be due to the silver plating which is known to add brightness, but if it hasn't got the sound balance the higher-up models have, it will tend to sound overly bright.

Have you tried lowering the arm? If the arm is slightly up from parallel at the back end with record in play, then the lower end of frequencies can sound a little thin, emphasising the tops. I recently witnessed an increase in "grunt" from my Hana EL through adding a 3mm thick mat on my SL1200, which brought the cartridge to a better vertical tracking angle (VTA).

The use of silver wired interconnects can also make things sound artificially bright, so if you have any in line, then try swapping out for copper ones.

Another dodge is to toe the speakers out a little, so the HF is less prominent, and also move your listening position fore or aft until you get the best tonal balance.

My personal view is that Ortofon cartridges have great tonal balance, but maybe the OEM silver was made for first impressions - to sound hi-fi...?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
Graham,

Thanks for the reply - I had already tried most of the things you have suggested and so the only conclusion I have been able to reach is the same as yours in that the cartridge has been designed for excitement and not long term listening. 

For the presentation I want and from the review read it seems that a Nagaoka is the way to go....

Thanks again. 

Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmoores1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 3:34pm
Received a Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge today and will be installing it later to see how the Nagaoka house sound compares to Ortofon. I am keeping my fingers crossed......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic