FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex M Loaner Report - Try the Accession next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex M Loaner Report - Try the Accession next?
    Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Hi all. I'm very new to the forum, but I thought I'd pop in for a bit to share my impressions of the Reflex M I've been using for almost two weeks now. First, thanks to Bruce for his responsiveness, conversation, and for getting the unit to me so quickly. I should also thank Graham for having this loaner program to begin with. First hand experience with a product is a major hurdle for any audio purchase, and this program addresses that in spades. Why more audio companies don't follow this model is beyond me. In any case, this will be relatively brief since this product has been reviewed on this forum so many times already. 

I know the Reflex M needs to be burned-in/warmed up for 24-48 hours or so before settling in, but a few hours in I just had to take a listen to get in idea of what it sounds like. For some context, my current phono is an Ifi iPhono2 which is connected to a Marantz 2265B on one end and a VPI Aries 1/Soundsmith VPI Zephyr on the other. During my first listen I found lots of unfamiliar detail coming through — I think I was listening to 24 Carat Black — but overall the sound was a bit brittle and lacking in bass. I knew I needed to allow more time for it to settle in, so after listening to a couple sides, I called it a night. The next day I put on the same record. The bass had filled in, and I found the sound to be very balanced and dimensional. Maybe still a little thinner than I'm used to, but the sound continued to evolve during the first few days. 

The Reflex is the first dual mono I've heard in my system, but I think I understand the impact it has: separation and imaging was fantastic, and the sound had much more dimension than I've experienced with other phonostages. This amp is also very fast, so I heard more detail without the presentation being what I would consider bright. 

After using the Reflex exclusively for nearly two weeks, my ears had adjusted to the sound. I still found it enjoyable and an improvement over my iPhono2, but I wasn't sure how much of an improvement. It was enough of an improvement that a friend of mine who hadn't heard my system since December noticed the difference without being told of any changes. But with the sound of the Reflex being so fluid the first few days, I hadn't had anything close to a side-by-side comparison. So mid-way through the first side of It Serve You Right to Suffer (John Lee Hooker) I decided to plug the iPhono back in. 

I don't want to dig on the iPhono too much because I think it's a really good phono. My main issue is how particular it seems to be about grounding, and how their support team was so quick to blame the rest of my setup. I went so far as to buy Ifi's GroundHog, which killed the noise up to moderately-high volume levels but not completely. I had no such issue with the Reflex by the way. Dead quiet. Anyway, after listening to side A, the switch from the iPhono back to the Reflex was astounding. My prior description of the dimensional soundstage and transients still stand, but what stood out with this particular recording was that Hooker's vocals were much more forward in the mix. The iPhono had them placed somewhere near the drums, but the Reflex put them front and center along with his guitar. The texture and general room feel of that recording was more fully rendered. I was truly astounded at the difference. What have I been missing?!?

I really like the Reflex M, though I wish it had more options for loading and perhaps gain. I love my Zephyr cart, but should I decide to explore other carts in the future I would hate to be too limited. Of course, I could consider the Accession, which everyone seems VERY happy with, so maybe I'll get in line to try that one next. 

I know the Accession has user settings that the Reflex M doesn't, but would anyone like to take a stab at describing the difference in sound between the two models?
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:51pm
That's a great write up, Jango - and welcome to the forum BTW!

Yes, the loan scheme is a great idea! You've found out what I discovered - and that is putting the old unit back in highlights differences more clearly than just trying to listen out for them while using the new unit! I assume you'd been using the Reflex M with the PSU1 power supply? Switching between this linear supply and the plug-top supply would show the improvement this makes too.

The Accession gives that bit more detail, depth and dynamics over the Reflex M and I would say is definitely worth an audition. It also has variable loadings too, along with different EQ settings, a mono switch, and a second, variable output - great for hooking up to an ADC for doing vinyl rips. By the way I use a low output Zephyr Star and love its detail and tonal balance.

Let us know what you think of the Accession if you borrow one from Bruce!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:00pm
Thanks for describing the Accession. Yes, I did use the PSU1 along with the Reflex which I’m sure helps. I haven’t tried a linear power supply because whatever phono preamp upgrade I decide to go with, it will have a separate power supply unit. I’ve looked into getting an SBooster to replace the iPhono2 wallwart, but ultimately decided I didn’t want to put any more money into that preamp. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:28pm
I agree with your assessment of the PSU1's positive impact on the preamps Jango and your switch back comparison is the best way to compare old to new kit.

My first GSP phono stage was a DIY kit of the Genera which is similar to the GA2SE. It came with a switched mode/green power supply and sounded better when I got a PSU1 (linear power supply). I haven't tried the higher range GSP phono preamps with the SMPS , only the PSU1's they usually come with, but I did try this with the GA2SE and the PSU1 won! One of our fellow members did this with a GA1 Communicator and the PSU1 helped there too.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:34pm
I forgot to mention that I haven't tried the Reflex out with the CuSat 50 interconnects yet. I've been pretty happy with the interconnects I have, but I mainly wanted to cut down on the variables while doing my listening comparisons between phonostages. I'm going to try them out tonight. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:41pm
That's a good approach for comparing the new additions separately and lets you open the presents one by one! I hope you enjoy your Cusat50's as much as I have my sets.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:59am
I’m curious to hear what you think of the Accession if you try one out. I’m trying to decide between the Reflex M and Accession. I figure the price difference between the Reflex M and Era Gold is small enough that the upgrade is worth it, but the price jump from Reflex M to Accession is quite a bit more. I have a P******t X2 with a Sumiko Moonstone and I’m hesitant to spend more on my phono stage than my turntable/cartridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic