FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record weights - worthwhile or turntable bling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record weights - worthwhile or turntable bling?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:29am
I don't use a record weight and wonder what the experience of others is.

There's a wealth of after-market choice using a wide variety of materials, a few claim the benefit of physical technologies leading to sonic improvements. Some have eye-watering prices.

If I buy a new record that's warped it gets sent back; if it's second hand then I take it to a record shop that has a record flattener. 

I feel inclined to instead spend the money on more vinyl.  
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 12:10pm
I used to use a basic weight though some manufacturers e.g. Michell, oracle and Luxman vacuum Decks appear to be a designed in this feature. They can flatten the record and will have some impact of interface and vibrations between vinyl and platter (for better or worse). 

Never found a significant difference either way on my former DD TT.  

Some of them (e.g. Stillpoints) claim to be energy absorbing and appear likely to have more of an impact though how some would sit on a suspended deck may need adjustment to levelling 

Never felt any great need to invest in anything exotic but would keep an open mind as I haven't tried any at that end if the price range. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:24pm
Clamps and weights are similar but a little different. 

I have only used a record weight. I actually don't use it that often ATM because my main deck wasn't designed for it. 

Weights or clamps can be beneficial when you have a dish warped/bubble warped record that you want to flatten out. Often you can only flatten out one side, you will have to figure out which is which and act accordingly, removing the clamp for playback one side and using it on the other.

If you have a clamp and some felt or rubber washers of varying thicknesses, you can probably adjust things a bit more than with a simple weight. Depending on the type of warp, some people might use these on both sides of the record before clamping down to the platter/mat. 

Now, in terms of audible benefits on flat records, I've not encountered any that were immediately discernible. Test equipment may be able to pick up subtle differences that we cannot hear. 

The main thing I would say is figure out if your TT is designed for a weight or clamp or neither before using one. 
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:32pm
Any weights or clamps I have tried 'seemed' to take a little liveliness out of the music but I accept that this could be a wholly placebo effect. 

I do use a clamp to get a belt-driven table up to speed but then quickly rotate it off before play. My Technics 1200G is definitely preferable without any form of weight or clamp.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 6:59am
I agree that the benefits or negatives of using weights are deck and possibly system dependent. I had great benefit using one on a Kuzma 'table but using an HRS weight on my OL 'tables always robbed the music of life and generally dulled the sound. Best try before you buy if possible
Derek
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:30am
or sale and return...

Edited by Richardl60 - 30 Apr 2019 at 7:30am
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 10:35am
The Roksan I use is designed to work without a clamp & is even designed with a removal
spindle so that the only contact the player has with the record is the platter mat & stylus.
Other turntables are designed to use a clamp to perform as intended - such as the Avid range.

I remember trying the Michell clamp on a Gyro SE a few years ago & couldn't hear much difference,
although the possible benefits of the clamp may have been masked by the abilities of the arm/cart & setup.

Edited by RichW - 30 Apr 2019 at 10:55am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic