FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:44pm
Maybe you are onto something there Tim, what if there were 1/5 or 1/6 the residue left on the records compared to brush and suck? I certainly noticed a drop in the noise floor on the good records when I started to use the ultrasonic machine. Some vinyl is noisy, cheap or recycled material in the mix, and is 'crunchy' despute careful cleaning - I have a number of 1980's LP's like that. But the good vinyl is much better, just the odd click from actual surface damage.

The best tip I got for a brush and suck RCM is to run two cycles i.e. wash then dry. First distilled water and cleaning solution, second with just distilled water. I got that excellent tip from this website. It takes a bit longer but is worth it. Some do even more to get more residue off their records.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The best tip I got for a brush and suck RCM is to run two cycles i.e. wash then dry. First distilled water and cleaning solution, second with just distilled water. I got that excellent tip from this website. It takes a bit longer but is worth it. Some do even more to get more residue off their records.

Some cleaning fluids recommend you do this as part of their cleaning process. I use AI #15 which is a combo enzyme + surfactant cleaner and run two rinse cycles, so three cycles total. On some records I find I need to clean them a second time after playing the record, but that is usually limited to LPs that have extra contaminants embedded in grooves. For most used LPs, one total cleaning does the trick. 

I have not tried US cleaning yet. The biggest barrier for me was the price but now the prices are starting to come down a bit with all the different options on the market and DIY kits and such. Maybe later this year or possibly next year I will get around to trying one. 
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:08pm
Man, 2 cycles on the Moth then the U Sonic?

I like a clean record as much as the next man but that’s gonna have to wait until I retire!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Old skool Old skool wrote:

I like a clean record as much as the next man but that’s gonna have to wait until I retire!
In the two years since I retired, I'm afraid I spend less time worrying about such things & more just enjoying music. Didn't expect that but happy nonetheless.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
 I use AI no. 6 for most records and a MOFI Record Brush to apply. If I have particularly dirty records I start with AI no. 15 and then go over it again with the no. 6. Then I use a Nitty Gritty 2.5FI, but only for vacuuming the cleaner off. I have had wonderful results.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
A combination of buying a number of new albums and limited play time over the last 2-3 months meant I have not played much of my existing and cleaned albums.

After playing some really good new albums, I have been very impressed by some ‘family acquisitions’ 60s albums all being cleaned by my former RCM.

These appeared to display some attributes I had noticed when I tried before and after cleaning tests, including notably good fine detail, natural with particularly clean, well focused and detailed low frequencies.

Good as my new albums sounded I couldn’t help feeling there is more to come so bit the bullet and boxed up 15 of them to ship off for professional ultrasonic cleaning.

Will see if they do as suspected sound better when they return.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
Why not buy an ultrasonic cleaner and clean them yourself?
That’s what I did. 
Not too expensive nowadays. 
Mine was 350ish. 
You really do need a vacuum Moth type cleaning machine to dry them off. 
I know they’re supposed just drain/dry but I’m impatient to get them back in they’re sleeves!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
  Share Topic