FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:33am
Well, this Planets shootout is harder than i ever imagined it would be!
Unfortunately i still only have the Previn LP so i have been comparing digital files.
My current list of Planets2DieFor in order of preference is: Solti/Boult/Elder/Dutoit so i will start searching for these LP's.

I also listened to Mehta and Karajan and was underwhelmed to say the least.

Comparing the digital files to the Previn LP was a waste of time as to my ears the LP rules supreme! 
Except for Solti, i did not get any emotional impact from the other digital versions.  

No Music, No Life!
Paul
Kory View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:02am
I'm getting ready to conduct Stravinsky's L'Histoire du Soldat(A Soldiers Tale) and have been listening to a fabulous recording I totally forgot I even had. It's by the Boston Chamber Players recorded back in the 70's. Only released on LP. These were the principal players of the Boston Symphony and the playing is spectacular. With super kudos to Joseph Silverstein on violin. What's also so stellar on the recording are the narrators, especially John Gielgud. Holy Smokes. He's something. It's just a terrific recording and I couldn't recommend it more. Those who are interested will find it immensely rewarding I'm sure.
Kory

Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Schiit Jil ADC, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic