FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 9:00am
I wonder what they'd find if they tried rather than Mozart  .......... Motorhead!! Wink
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

No Beethoven mentioned yet . . .

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58
Glenn Gould, piano, and Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra
originally released under the Columbia Masterworks label in 1961
reissued 2012 as a 180-gram pressing by Impex Records IMP6011

"All the hard ways!"
Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:49pm
This is a true gem. Genius composer and brilliant pianist who plays with such emotion and agility.

Jean-Yves Thibaudet - Saint-Saëns: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 5

Signed CD here: 20 bucks.
https://www.shopsfsymphony.org/shop/Jean-Yves-Thibaudet-Saint-Saens-Piano-Concertos-Nos.-2-and-5.html

Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 10:26pm
Calamus - The Splendour of Al-Andalus. Lovely recording (at an authentic location, providing beautiful accoustics).

Edited by Fuzzy - 07 Jun 2016 at 10:31pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
jeremyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 4:59pm
Anything on Coup d'Archet/L'Archet d'Or (http://www.coupdarchet.com/), labels started in the 90s initially to bring to our ears lost recordings by the incredible violinist Johanna Martzy - try getting her original recordings for less than the price of an Accession! More recently label reissued her EMI recordings at a whole new level, but it started by putting out previously-unreleased recordings. In due course other artists were added. The releases are principally (entirely?) mono, mainly chamber recordings, dating from the 50s golden age and into the 60s, and artists that on the whole have been criminally overlooked (aside from the legendary Martzy herself who didn't exactly make lots of records herself). The recordings were retrieved from the archives of various radio stations by Glenn Armstrong and painstaingly remastered at Abbey Road, pressed impeccably on heavy vinyl when it was blooming hard to find anywhere to cut or press LPs to any quality (there are CDs too, if you must). The L'Archet D'Or records are even more special but only very limited vinyl so good luck getting them (http://www.coupdarchet.com/LArchet-dOr).
Glenn is a perfectionist and would only put out the best sounding recordings so the records sound wonderful, but there's a lot of unusual repertoire in there too.
Incidentally there is now a non-classical string to the Archet bow (pardon the multilingual pun) with Coup Perdu, which is new recordings of (so far) jazz-inclined material http://www.coupperdu.com/ Personally I especially love the Kit Downes release but they are all beautiful. Again, get the vinyl!
I should declare an interest, though you probably divined one. I met Glenn in the early 90s when I sold him a cassette deck in a pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap hifi shop I worked in at the time. To my credit it was the best we had, not the one with the biggest commission Wink. We became close friends and I watched as his obsession with Martzy grew into this (whilst he also introduced me to a lot of lovely hifi that passed through his hands). So I'm not unbiassed, but these are genuinely some of the loveliest recordings you will hear, in the best pressings and most gorgeous sleeves (especially L'Archet D'Or) so do take a listen!
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the info, Jeremy - the Kit Downes album looks especially interesting . . 

Meanwhile, another one from me:

Roy Harris: Symphony No.3, New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein, CBS, 1962

Arguably the most well known American symphony, it's short (around 18 minutes) and in one movement. The 1962 Bernstein recording has an excitement missing from his 1987 version on DG (which is a minute and half longer) and the rather brash but exceptionally spacious CBS recording suits the wide open prairies conjured up by the music. In objective terms the DG recording is better - more clarity and depth of tone with a nearer view of the orchestra (in fact more akin to what EMI's Kingsway Hall recordings were like in 1962), but when you're swept along by Lenny in 1962 that hardly matters.

The music might only last a short while, but you have the whole symphonic experience in a tonal, yet modern and entirely "American" idiom - with a suitably "big" tune at its core developed into a fugue like section before the whole plot opens out majestically. 

It was the first time I'd heard my LP via the Accession, and my misgivings about the brash and somewhat thin sound when I decided to play it recently were brushed aside as it presented the music with more refinement and tonal depth than I was expecting. And the soundstage - well it stretched from North Dakota to Texas . . . Wink

Edited by morris_minor - 10 Jun 2016 at 7:04pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
jeremyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 11:20am
The Bernstein sounds great, and can't be too hard to find.
The Kit Downes is also fabulous from the point of view of allowing your system to recreate a sense of space and place. There is one track where the piano and cello develop the music whilst you become aware of rain pattering outside, splashing on windows and trickling in gutters. Quite magical. I think I'd like to hear that through an Accession...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic