FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:33am
Well, this Planets shootout is harder than i ever imagined it would be!
Unfortunately i still only have the Previn LP so i have been comparing digital files.
My current list of Planets2DieFor in order of preference is: Solti/Boult/Elder/Dutoit so i will start searching for these LP's.

I also listened to Mehta and Karajan and was underwhelmed to say the least.

Comparing the digital files to the Previn LP was a waste of time as to my ears the LP rules supreme! 
Except for Solti, i did not get any emotional impact from the other digital versions.  

No Music, No Life!
Paul
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:02am
I'm getting ready to conduct Stravinsky's L'Histoire du Soldat(A Soldiers Tale) and have been listening to a fabulous recording I totally forgot I even had. It's by the Boston Chamber Players recorded back in the 70's. Only released on LP. These were the principal players of the Boston Symphony and the playing is spectacular. With super kudos to Joseph Silverstein on violin. What's also so stellar on the recording are the narrators, especially John Gielgud. Holy Smokes. He's something. It's just a terrific recording and I couldn't recommend it more. Those who are interested will find it immensely rewarding I'm sure.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 4:30am
My Planets collection is growing slowly.
I now have versions by:
Previn / LSO. Still the most emotional to me.
Williams / Boston Pops. $2, why not?
Solti / LPO.  MF UHQR copy, near mint. A few clicks but otherwise glorious sound.
Dutoit  / Montreal Symphonic. Sealed copy.
Boult / NPO. Near mint. Playing tomorrow.
Bennett & Bradshaw. The 2 piano version. Near mint. Playing tomorrow.
Gardner / UK National Youth Orchestra. I love the proms version on you tube so i hope this LP is just as good. Sealed copy. Playing tomorrow!

i still plan to get Steinberg, Mehta, Ozawa and Holst himself versions on LP. 
Elder on CD and Mehta on R2R tape.
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 1:09am
Wow Paul, way to go. You've got your project really going. I've still yet to find a sonic match to the Mehta. But have enjoyed every version I own. Hard not to with this piece.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by PaulRS PaulRS wrote:

My Planets collection is growing slowly.
I now have versions by:
Previn / LSO. Still the most emotional to me.
Williams / Boston Pops. $2, why not?
Solti / LPO.  MF UHQR copy, near mint. A few clicks but otherwise glorious sound.
Dutoit  / Montreal Symphonic. Sealed copy.
Boult / NPO. Near mint. Playing tomorrow.
Bennett & Bradshaw. The 2 piano version. Near mint. Playing tomorrow.
Gardner / UK National Youth Orchestra. I love the proms version on you tube so i hope this LP is just as good. Sealed copy. Playing tomorrow!

i still plan to get Steinberg, Mehta, Ozawa and Holst himself versions on LP. 
Elder on CD and Mehta on R2R tape.
You seem like I am with Walton's 1st Symphony - 20+ versions and counting LOL.

If you can't wait for your copy of Holst's own recording to arrive, here it is:

Other versions you may not have considered:

Vernon Handley - RPO (originally a CD on the RPO's own label - great recording and exemplary performance)
Bernard Herrmann - LPO (Decca Phase 4 - with all the sonic benefits/drawbacks that implies!)
Karajan - VPO (Decca - surprisingly good performance)
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Kory Kory wrote:

Wow Paul, way to go. You've got your project really going. I've still yet to find a sonic match to the Mehta. But have enjoyed every version I own. Hard not to with this piece.

Kory, same here! i have enjoyed every LP so far, just the different interpretations in pace keep me coming back for more!
No Music, No Life!
Paul
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:20am
[/QUOTE]You seem like I am with Walton's 1st Symphony - 20+ versions and counting LOL.

If you can't wait for your copy of Holst's own recording to arrive, here it is:

Other versions you may not have considered:

Vernon Handley - RPO (originally a CD on the RPO's own label - great recording and exemplary performance)
Bernard Herrmann - LPO (Decca Phase 4 - with all the sonic benefits/drawbacks that implies!)
Karajan - VPO (Decca - surprisingly good performance)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob, apart from Karajan i have not heard the other two, but i will...
It must be 50 years since i last heard Walton's 1st, so thanks for that as well. I will pay more attention to British composers from now on!
No Music, No Life!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
  Share Topic