FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommend a new cart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 8:19am
A great shame that Jico have discontinued their SAS stylus. . . .It's been the saviour of many a cartridge. I use one on a Technics p-mount P22

But a big thumbs up for the SAE carts Thumbs Up - NOS from Thakker in Germany.

The Zyx R-50 Bloom carts get a good press too, though even the H model needs an MC stage since it's output is only 0.48mV. It's only "high" in relation to the "low" output version . . Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 8:25am
I was just thinking the same thing. I'd been musing on checking out the Shure M97XE with that stylus just as they announced it was discontinued and prices rocketed.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:00pm
I'm struggling to find any info on the Hana carts. I've found their webpage but it doesn't provide much info (prices, compliance, that sort of thing). Anyone have a link?
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:10pm
This page has a link to UK dealers Paul

Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 12:36pm
Those Hana carts do look interesting. Any thoughts, Bob, on how they compare to the 2M Ortofons?
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 1:47pm
I've never listened to a 2M Paul, so it's hard to say how a Hana compares to them. Taken on it's own merits the EL version I have is a great all-round cartridge - plenty of depth, smooth and detailed midrange, and nice highs. The Shibata version is no doubt more refined, and the high output versions will sound a little different but almost certainly share similar traits. None of which answers your question! 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 1:56pm
I like the detail of the 2M Blue but I'm sensitive to brightness (a contradiction if ever I wrote one) so, what I'd like is a cart that gives me the detail but without harshness. I deliberately picked some fairly "dark" speakers to tone down the brightness in my system/room and am again tempted to go for something a little warmer (like the Hana). My concern is though, that the combination will overdo the warmth and remove the detail I like. Of course, there's only one (expensive) way to find out.

Any idea what the compliance of the Hana is, Bob? It's a fairly light cart and I suspect that compliance will be crucial in determining how well matched it'll be with my 8g tonearm. Can't seem to find it in any specs.

Edited by Paul H - 23 Mar 2016 at 1:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic