FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

P******t RPM 5 Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:19pm
also to consider is where the deck is sited I.e. Is is near the speakers, suspended/concrete floor, platform etc. Floaty floppy suspension is unlikely to be perfectly partnered to suspended timber floors but a solid plinth unit MAY suffer from more feedback in other circumstances than a good suspended 

The world Is your oyster 
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:38am
I’m also in the camp of looking at a cartridge upgrade. If you like the 2M sound you’ll probably enjoy the Bronze and Black as well, and they do offer a great deal more (detail, dynamics, texture, separation, phrasing...) as you step up the range. My experience is that it will be a more obvious change to the sound than swapping out the whole deck. Also cheaper.
However, if you’re after a change of deck, I’m on board with the second hand approach if you’re comfortable doing so. 
If not, then it’s all trips to dealers to hear what’s out there. In addition to the DD/Belt, and house sound differences, there’s also mass loaded vs lightweight, and suspended or not. So many Options!
Why not just enjoy the process of hearing as much as you can?
Good luck!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:35pm
Nice looking Oracle Delphi + Audiomods v on eBay?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:14pm
Good tip. That will sound much better than a well marketed but bland modern turntable.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:05am
Follow up to the OP. Bit the bullet and purchased a Thorens TD206 last month and I am very pleased with it. Although the supplied cartridge is cheaper so in theory inferior to the Ortofon 2M Blue I was using previously this does not seem the case!. Seems a good match for this turntable. Perhaps less is more?.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 4:03am
I have the Xtension 10 Evolution and have upgraded the tonarm wire which improved the sound towards a more refined and smooth sound. The connection to the Reflex M is by a Van den Hull D 501 Hybrid from my previos SME 3009 s2 arm. The ultimate upgrade so far was adding a Clearaudio Charisma to it and I have to say it goes well with the 10CC Evolution arm. It’s analog heaven and then some. A few things you could do to your RPM 5 to improve it.Wink
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic