New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PSU1 question.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

 

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)


PSU1 question.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ernie View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2014
Location: Birmingham UK
Status: Offline
Points: 223
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by iz_thewiz149 iz_thewiz149 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

All power cables are coiled and signal cable is separated. 

Any thoughts? Thanks for the read.   

Don’t coil power cables or any cable for that matter. Looping is best but isn’t particularly practical, figure-of-eight them if you need to take up any excess.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Back to Top
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Location: Middlesbrough
Status: Offline
Points: 5487
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:51pm
I found similar issues with valve amps: vibration of components and inductive coupling between different transformers in a few cases.
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Back to Top
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Cyreg Cyreg wrote:

IMO when you switch off the power conditioner, than quickly change the powerconnector of the PSU1 to a seperate wallconnector (with or without a longer lead)
For normal use you just should keep it powered on! (2 minutes 'no power on' to change will be no problem)
 
When you switch on again, change the PSU1 connector back to the power conditioner

I'm curious to see if the power conditioner will actually eliminate the noise, it is essentially running off the same circuit as the PSU1. Ideally, I would prefer to run it off the power conditioner if it does in fact eliminate the noise but this would go against the advice from the manufacturer to always leave the PSU1 powered on. I will do some troubleshooting soon. 
Back to Top
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Originally posted by iz_thewiz149 iz_thewiz149 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

All power cables are coiled and signal cable is separated. 

Any thoughts? Thanks for the read.   

Don’t coil power cables or any cable for that matter. Looping is best but isn’t particularly practical, figure-of-eight them if you need to take up any excess.

Funny you mention that, all power cables are actually figure-of-eight'd. Most people assume coiled is figure-of-eight'd when it comes to power cable, although I don't generally do the same with signal cable unless it's something like Neutrik NL 2/4/8 cable.  
Back to Top
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Welcome to the forum Matt.
From what you say about the hum changing when you move your Era Gold I would suspect hum pickup  from something nearby. It would be unusual for the PSU1 output to produce noticeable hum in connected equipment.
Have you tried the PSU1 via your power conditioner? Does it reduce or eliminate the hum?

Ian

Thanks for your reply Ian, 

I will do some troubleshooting this week and let you know if powering the PSU1 from the power conditioner does clean up the noise. The issue with this though if successful, is that the PSU1 will no longer be powered on continuously which goes against the manufacturers recommendations. My argument is that I have surely passed the burn-in phase, as I have owned and used the product for almost two years now. Also worth noting, there is a RJ11 outlet located directly behind the turntable, roughly 1/2 a metre, and RJ11 cable running behind my main cabling. The RJ11 is strictly a internet line, but I'm curious now if this could be causing interference?!
Back to Top
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Check the arm tube is actually screening the wires inside it.

This is an arm I had to eventually reject because it relies on the bearings to conduct the ground to the arm tube, and the film of lubricant prevents it, even after nearly 30 years!

arm base conducts ground

As can be seen, connecting arm base to arm base components shows conducting ground.


arm tube not grounded

Shame the arm tube has no protection at all (open circuit)

Any ac mains magnetic field in the vicinity will be picked up as hum by the wires inside the tube.

Any ac mains vibration of the arm tube is fed into the magnetic circuit of the cartridge, and is worse with MM because of the greater number of turns of its fixed coils.

However, there's worse to come, because neither is there any shielding at radio frequencies, and electro-magnetic waves can set-off oscillations at any point in the amplification chain, often emitting a buzz.

So please check for ground continuity. We need to realise we are dealing with 19th century mentality in the 21st century, with its crowded electro-magnetic spectrum.



Well that's interesting. I may have to dust off the multi-meter and do some troubleshooting!
Also, I just mentioned this to another reply that there is an RJ11 outlet and cable for the purposes of internet in this room. It is possible that this may be the culprit.  
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.