FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 Enigma Micro-Signal Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm
I have now had a listening window to try my ‘best’ mains lead from my CD player using a figure of 8 converter plug on both Accession MM and Elevator with my standard PSUs.

Given that the cable I am currently using provided a significant improvement over the standard cable and is already very vapable if expensive the results still suprised me more than expectee. These proved unequivocally an improvement in all areas on both units on all material tried, using some of the albums used on the Enigma trial so was very familiar.

I am not proposing to go in to any detail of my findings but if the Enigma with my Elevator provided anywhere near the level of improvement seen on either unit I would have one tomorrow.

The biggest improvements I would say were on the Accession MM but sure they will be cumulative on both as I have found previously.
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

For the last couple of weeks I have been testing the PSU1-Enigma Power Supply with the Majestic Pre-/DAC and comparing it to its supplied PSU1 Power Supply. As most of you will know the Enigma was originally designed by Graham for the Accension MC, where he found it made a noticeable improvement to the sound. 

Because there is a difference in price between the two PSUs I thought it would be useful to find out how noticeable a difference there was between the two devices. In order to do this I have been running the Majestic using the Enigma PSU for the last two weeks. At the same time I left the original PSU1 powered up in order that in the near future, once the Enigma has had time to bed in, I will switch the cables over and make a comparison.

I am posting this report before swapping the cables over so that I can give you my first impressions. I will then write a second report letting you know how much difference I noticed going back to the original PSU. It is worth saying that although I am trying to be as unbiased as possible any impressions are necessarily subjective and are my opinions only.

Initially I spent no time running the Enigma PSU in. It was completely new and fresh from the test bench. As soon as it was plugged in I did notice a difference. The sound seemed to have greater clarity, was very detailed and seemed to have more space within the soundstage. One was able to position the instruments in a way that I hadn't noticed before. I found this quite inspiring though it was a little clinical.

A week or so later I noticed that there had been a noticeable change. There was an increased warmth and musicality that had begun to appear. I noticed that there was no longer any suggestion of the sound being cool or clinical. Everything seemed to be much more natural, fuller and in its place. On most recordings there was a noticeable improvement  which I found hard to believe and at times incredibly exciting. Everything had taken on a more natural depth and grain without losing any of its detail. The high treble rang hi and clear without any trace of strain or annoyance and while the bass and midrange (as time progressed) took on an individual depth, grain and natural quality which showed the nature of the instruments played and the ambiance of the studio, echo, and the amplification used. There seem to be an air and breath around the vocals which added to the atmosphere of the recordings.

There were some recordings which I noticed immediately became much more interesting and vital. Bob Dylan's song 'Forever Young' was especially exciting. Previously I had not realised what a good recording it had been. I was also greatly impressed by Yo-Yo Ma playing the Bach cello sonatas. This had a quality of detail and naturalness which normally only manifests when hearing the instrument played live and close. There were tracks by the Portuguese Fdao singer Mariza there was a depth of silence in the background which added presence atmosphere and quality to the music.

As you can see I have been very impressed and astounded by the improvement that a PSU can appear to make. It is my intention in the next day or so to swap the two units over to find out if or how much I will notice any difference. I will report back when I can. I would also be really interested to know whether other people with the Enigma PSU agree with my findings.

I'm sorry this second stage of my review has taken so long to appear, but things have been extremely hectic with the preparations for Christmas.

After allowing the Enigma about three weeks to burn in I have spent several hours  over the weekend making comparisons between the standard PSU 1 and the Enigma when used with the Majestic. The first thing I would like to say is that they are both excellent PSUs. However, the Enigma (to my ears) is a subtle, though noticeable, improvement over the standard PSU 1.

When compared the Enigma seemed to produce a warmer, more musical sound. Full of detail with the instruments sounding more realistic, tighter and more natural. Above all the Ambiance and soundstage seemed more real and atmospheric. The vocals on many tracks seemed a little more forward when compared with the standard PSU 1. One could almost imperceptibly feel the air moving around the singer and microphone.

My first action was to listen very carefully in turn to a number of tracks that I know very well. I then quickly swapped the input lead over to the other PSU. This allowed an instant comparison, seconds apart. This showed the subtle differences but was revealing with even my wife noticing the difference. After doing this with a number of tracks I then proceeded to play, at random, various pieces of music from one of my playlists one after the other. This confirmed that to me the Enigma was easy to live with and was the one which proved to be the more enjoyable unit when used over an extended period of time. In the end I was left with a broad smile on my face!

As I said before both units are excellent. Anybody would be more than pleased with the results either of them produce. I myself found the Enigma the one I would prefer to live with even if I had to pay a little extra for the privilege.

I hope this has been helpful. I will take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Thanks for that very thorough and informative review! I'm going to get me the Enigma in the near future for my Majestic. ClapThumbs Up
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
My Enigma has been powered up for three weeks now and the Majestic sounds better than ever.
Listening to CDs is more enjoyable than ever. I can't hear any digital nasties as before and no glare. On some CDs I could hear them but with the Enigma it's gone. Most CDs have improved and I can clearly hear more nuances of instruments and voices. The sound stage is much wider, deeper and so much fuller. This was apparent after I put on the first CD. The deep bass is more pronounced and the highs are clear and clean and never annoying. Seems to me the Wolfson DAC is quit power hungry and to show its full potential the Enigma is the perfect partner for it.  Beer I would go as far as to say, if the Majestic and Enigma come as a set for $3000 it would still be a bargain, it's that good!!!
Ordered the Enigma and ten days later it was at my door step. Thanks for the fast service John!

Edited by musicdude - 09 May 2019 at 8:01am
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
latinaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote latinaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:01pm
I don´t know if this was asked before, but can I use the Psu1 Enigma to operate a Reflex M "Green" instead of the regular upgraded Psu1?
 And second: is there any significant improvement in sound using the Enigma instead of the normal Psu1 that justifies the price difference in this particular case? I´ll upgrade my basic "Green" SMPS and would like to know first hand from this Forum.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Edited by latinaudio - 05 May 2020 at 7:02pm
"Music nourishes the spirit"
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:30pm
Hi, 
Yes the Enigma & PSU1 are interchangeable and a PSU1 will be a worthwhile improvement over the standard Green PSU.
I can't comment on the improvement the Enigma will have over the PSU1 with a ReflexM - 
perhaps others have tried it in this way, although I can say that it improves the Majestic DAC.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
latinaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote latinaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:43pm
Thanks, Rich.
Perhaps it´s time to evaluate those improvements (if there is any relevant) with all the gear available in Graham´s line whose cost guarantees the investment.
Originally designed to mate the Accesion, the Enigma was not available when I bought my Reflex M "Green", a decision I made at the time to make an upgrade later on. My Reflex is an incredible piece from which I want to extract the last drop of it´s performance. 
I already read the Enigma mini-review in Stereo Times as part of the Accesion review: 
http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/graham-slee-accession-mc-moving-coil-phono-preamplifier but I would like to know if someone in this forum has made that comparison with at least the Era Gold and up in the phono stages. The loan service it´s not available in my location to "try before you buy", so as with the Reflex M I´ll make my decision based on your comments.
Thanks in advance !

Edited by latinaudio - 06 May 2020 at 8:44pm
"Music nourishes the spirit"
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by latinaudio latinaudio wrote:

Thanks, Rich.
Perhaps it´s time to evaluate those improvements (if there is any relevant) with all the gear available in Graham´s line whose cost guarantees the investment.
Originally designed to mate the Accesion, the Enigma was not available when I bought my Reflex M "Green", a decision I made at the time to make an upgrade later on. My Reflex is an incredible piece from which I want to extract the last drop of it´s performance. 
I already read the Enigma mini-review in Stereo Times as part of the Accesion review: 
http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/graham-slee-accession-mc-moving-coil-phono-preamplifier but I would like to know if someone in this forum has made that comparison with at least the Era Gold and up in the phono stages. The loan service it´s not available in my location to "try before you buy", so as with the Reflex M I´ll make my decision based on your comments.
Thanks in advance !

I have a Reflex and started with the wall wart before moving to the PSU-1. To me the PSU was worth it because of the drop in noise floor and knowing that the two components were designed to work together for optimal performance. The Enigma never really crossed my mind because it was frankly a bit out of budget for me at the time I got the PSU-1. 

If I ever decide to upgrade to an Accession M I might consider the Enigma at that time. I will say if you are the type of person that is extremely picky (you "need" the absolute best) and if cost differences are not a major concern, then just go ahead and buy the Enigma, or just get an Accession M with Enigma. 

I wish I could help more on this...my 2 cents. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic