FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 Enigma Micro-Signal Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:04am
I am not sure which silver cables you have tried Ash but I have never noticed that feature with interconnects but will I suppose like most things it will depend on how they are designed.  The sibilence occured WITH the standard mains cables here and NOT the pure silver cables.  

I noticed this (to a greater degree) when switching from the standard cable on my Era Gold/Revelation some years ago also so I know I am not hearing the Enigma at its best (yet).

Edited by Richardl60 - 07 Dec 2018 at 7:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:14pm
Sadly my listening window was closed this evening and by the time I was able to listen I was past it so chose to leave it for the night and have another try in the morning......

Edited by Richardl60 - 07 Dec 2018 at 11:15pm
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:43am
Although I have not heard the Enigma Richard, some of your findings sound similar to my own when I flipped over the figure-8 mains lead on a standard PSU1. Only one way sounds absolutely 'correct' to me.

Does the Enigma use the same arrangement & have you tried swapping polarity?
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:04am
Thanks Andrew.  It had occurred to me that the F8 could be a factor but I decided not to add yet another element in to the comparison- my previous tests when I first installed the cables a few years ago provided me with sufficient evidence that whilst there was a F8 difference it was a lot smaller than the cables and on my Elevator the differences were difficult to reach a conclusion on i.e. so small unlike the phono stage.

Since my current mains/f8 has a fixed position I can insert the Enigma in the same config as my current PSU; the only question then is will two PSUs have the same directionality!!!!

I still have the new DC lead to try if I get time also!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:38am
I have not settled in to some further listening directly swapping the Enigma with my existing PSU and cables.

Assuming the config of both PSUs is the same (which is sounds so) initial impressions are of quite small differences on my Accession MM.

I have at times had to go and look at which one is in circuit (and have left the unused PSU plugged to a spare cable to maintain powered up status).

Whilst I will try again later the Enigma does appear very slightly lighter in balance, perhaps more crack/less punch to the bass (reflecting the reduced weight).

Mid range/vocals are a little different possibly the Enigma is maybe more cultured and refined.

Rhythm, soundstage and fine detail a paper very little different and not enough currently to comment on.

I am currently enjoying both and in some ways reminds me of the types of differences when I changed from my mark 1 to mark 2 Leema Tucana amp though not as prounounced.

Should get a little further time later to update again.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:16am
Which way round are you plugging in your figure 8 leads? Live to top or bottom?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:23pm
Not sure to be fair I settled on one F8 combo some time ago by ear and this is what I am currently using.  I think I am now getting to understand the differences more.

Extending the variety of material has now started to focus my thoughts.

std PSU - bass does appear a little softer, maybe less detailed but certainly a little more weighty.  Presentation blacker in some ways and seem closer to a more spacious soundstage and possibly conveying a fraction more emotion on vocals. Noticed feet tapping more on same tracks.

Enigma - I satisfied the bass is a little tighter, crisper with potentially a little more detail if less power though on balance in my system to my ears preferable.  I am not wholly convinced by the mid/upper and vocal areas.  Whilst I wouldn’t exactly describe as being slightly nasal it does lack the air and space of the standard unit.  Also feel the Enigma does a marginally better job minimising low level surface noise.

Material used - Donna Summer, Bee Gees, Genesis, Elton John, fairground attraction and B52s.

As it stands I could easily live with either -the differences in my system remain very small; you could argue the Enigma provides a slightly more refined, lighter and tighter presentation whilst the standard unit is slightly heavier and has a more open, airy mid and upper ranges.

At the moment I wouldn’t propose upgrading with my Accession MM ..unless the DC cable makes a significant difference in my system at least.

I cannot see I will get the time to try the loan unit on the Elevator but in my system the differences are small and certainly nowhere near the differences the mains input cable and DC lead upgrade gave me.

In this context all my mains feeds have been highly upgraded, from dedicated consumer unit, 10mm twin and earth feed to upgraded wall socket, power HUB and leads to individual devices oh and an earth rod too - suspect the effects may be cumulative.

Will get back after adding the new DC lead but unsure when that may be as have a busy few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic