FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 6:15pm
Out of interest,what do you think the propius would sound like in a home cinema system? Currently I have an arcam processor with 4 x p30 power amps, the front three speakers have one p30 power each speaker. I use this system for films & music, & despite processor being av, it sounds incredibly musical.
James
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 6:30pm
I'm using my Proprii in an AV system - turning it back into a proper stereo with AV switching.

Currently the tape out from my Onkyo AV amp feeds a Sudgen Headmaster pre-amp so I don't get Dolby for the fronts, and balancing the backs means juggling two volume controls. When funds permit I'll get an AV pre-amp - the Audiolab 8200AP is favourite at the moment, and a little T-amp for the rears.

But I have to say the Proprii have plenty of grunt, plus of course finesse, for AV. If my rear speakers were bigger (I use Audica Pro Microlines - more often seen in bars, lecture theatres, museums etc) I might have been tempted to get a pair of Proprii for them as well, but TBH movies play a secondary role and my real aim is a really decent stereo system that also does video switching and the audio decoding...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:08pm
Like Bob I've got the Proprius and GX100's connected to my AV amps' left and right preamp outs. It does give better sound quality than connecting the speakers to the AV amps output terminals.

Bob (and Ian/BinB) is right about the low bass grunt the Proprius gives. I have disconnected my subwoofer because the main speakers produce deep and fast bass. The Proprius is a brilliant amp filling the room with music and the sounds of each instrument can be heard.

Anyway I am wary of testing the same AV to Proprius arrangement with the centre channel for obvious financial reasons! Next it would be the surrounds and the wides...

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:02pm
As FMG stated, I was certainly impressed by the Bass power and extension of the Proprius amps. Over the two weeks I had them they were continuously powered with signal applied as often as possible. The improvement in Bass extension was quite significant. Those who now have their own might care to enlighten us as to their view of the burn in process!
I would imagine that they would be more than suitable in an AV setup. Their ability to "make music" appears to work with all but the poorest of sources, as I noticed with Internet radio sources. I have listened to some "Good" power amps which whilst using high quality sources sounded very good, with poorer sources just highlighted the inadequacies, "musical" they were not.
I am puzzled by the need to differentiate between 2 channel stereo "HiFi" and AV amplifiers. Surely "Musicality" is as important in each instance? And on the same theme, what does THX certification mean? From what I have heard it seems to mean exaggerated Bass and screeching highs. Hardly an endorsement for quality sound!
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 7:54pm
Hi all

Three weeks ago I was lucky enough to try a pair of Proprius monoblocks on the loan scheme together with the matching Lautus phono to XLR interconnects. I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to explaining how good/bad a system sounds, and haven't had the luxury of owning or trying out lots of equipment for comparison, but I thought I'd try and post my findings as a thankyou to GSP and Jon for providing the loan scheme.

So why have I waited so long to post? Basically because I wanted to spend some time listening to my own integrated amp again after sending the monoblocks back. Playing the same/similar music again, so I could figure out what the differences were.

I'll start out by saying that ideally my floor-standing 2-1/2 way speakers need a bigger room (which they were planned to have - and will have eventually!). The study that they're in is around 12ft x 8ft and is full of furniture, LCD panels and other stuff in near proximity to the speakers. This makes getting a decent 3-D sound stage virtually impossible due to reflections - I can tell if something sounds better or worse in terms of imaging but can't really define width/depth/height to any degree - so I won't :-) The speakers have a sensitivity of around 90dB and the impedance dips to 3 ohms or so.

My current amplifier (for the comparison) is a 80W/8ohm, 160W/4ohm integrated (Jungson JA88D). Probably not a name many people are familiar with as it's Chinese, but actual users seem to give it good praise for the cost, and I've been very happy with it over the last 2 years. But this is not an ad for a Chinese company, so I'll move on...

The sources I used were my SL1210Mk2, AT440mla and Reflex M for vinyl, and a MiniMax Dac plus for digital, fed straight into the mono-blocks by swapping the cables around when necessary (using the mono-block volume controls).

So, here are my findings:

The mono-block amplifiers have slightly deeper bass, even though they're got 1/3 of the output power of my integrated. They have just as much control over the bass. Perhaps slightly better, but my room acoustics don't allow me to quantify this.

The sound is very 'clean'. Not clinical, but there's nothing there that shouldn't be. This allows some of the quieter details that are supposed to be there to show themselves, rather than be buried in the mix. On quite a few occasions I heard little details in the music that I hadn't heard before. Not a 'hit you in the face' difference overall, but noticeable. I felt that the monoblocks were giving the nice drive units in my speakers a chance to deliver the detail that I'm sure they can do. I can only imagine that this helps with sound staging in a more ideal environment.

When playing vinyl at a reasonably loud (and safe) level in my room I had the volume controls set a little above 10 o'clock, maybe at 11 depending on the recording level. When using my DAC, which has a high output of 2.5V, I had the volume control set a little lower, maybe around 9 o'clock. Just to see how much 'headroom' there was available I played some vinyl and turned the volume control to a little further than 2 o'clock - this is getting too loud for my study and I can't really comment on whether the monoblocks were sounding strained at this volume because the acoustics of my study sound awful at high volume levels anyway. All I will say is that at moderately high volume levels the monoblocks sound very good. They also sounded good at low volume levels, still managing to bring out detail which is something my integrated amp isn't so good at, needing the volume to be turned up a little.

So would I buy them? Yes - if my funds allowed and if the Aria pre-amp was available. I do have a Linn Kolektor pre-amp that could be used with the monoblocks but in my opinion it would destroy some of the sound stage. The Kolektor has a very refined sound but it is not entirely 'real'. I wouldn't expect the monoblocks to deliver 'party' volume levels with my speakers in a bigger room (though I could be wrong!) but I wouldn't buy them for that purpose. I don't think I'd miss the extra 100W or so of power that the integrated can deliver - I never use it anyway.

Can I still live with my integrated - yes - it still sounds very good - but I do miss the slightly deeper bass and the little details.

Hope all this has helped!
James.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 9:58pm
Thanks James. Thanks for an interesting comparison. Compared to the 840A v2 I also noticed the extra low bass (like I'd added a subwoofer to my stand mount speakers) and I could hear more of each instrument. Above all I found it easier to relax and enjoy the music.

In my living room the Proprius amps are very loud when turned up to 3 o'clock on the passive preamp I built (6 way stereo switch and Alps Blue stereo pot - keep me going until the Aria arrives) and I estimated that full output would be slightly above that with my DAC. No sign of the amp or speakers straining, bit too loud for me though!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 11:17pm

This is a bit late in coming but work commitments and attention demanding SWMBO has delayed the writing of this. I originally borrowed the Proprius before xmas expecting a few days off over Christmas would allow some serious listening and side by side comparison with my current amplifiers. However a cold and work curtailed some of that so most of my listening was done with just the Proprius with an immediete listening session after I sent back the Props.

My current setup consists of:

Shearne Audio Phase 2 (integrated) and Phase 3 Anniversary amplifiers biamping my speakers.

The speakers are a pair of Audio Physic Yara (mk1) floor standers. (89db 4ohm)

The speaker cables are I think (I have lost the receipt) LFD Spiroflex 1 Biwire. They are a solid core cable not as flat/restrained as DNM and not bright.

When they arrived I disconnected the in place amplifiers and placed the Proprius on the rack to warm up, I decided to biwire rather than dig out the speaker links. An initial listen confirmed that there was a bit of warming up required a slightly thin sound with some splashy cymbals so I left it on with some Internet radio.

A colleague tells me that his multi thousand pound Naim System takes 2-3 weeks to return to normal when he comes back from holiday. The power supply upgrade for his system (discrete regulator modules) actually costs as much as a pair of Proprius!

I left it warming up for a week before I started my listening using my Marantz streamer but I rapidly came to the opinion the bass quality was not up to the job of reviewing the Proprius and certainly not up to the standard of my Gyrodec wired to my Revelation M so I switched all my listening to Vinyl. 

Perhaps the streamer needs an external dac upgrade.  Wink 

In my system/room my initial thoughts were that there was slightly less weight compared to my biamped system, not so much bass as presence (see later). Turning the wick up on Massive Attack’s Angel still shook the room anyway; so no lack of bass then, I soon adjusted to the perceived balance change too enjoy my listening sessions.

Overall there seemed to be a wide left to right soundstage and I am sure that I was picking out some more detail than previously noted. Since it was such a clean sound you did feel encouraged to turn it up and the sound is fatigue free so listening to multiple records wasn’t a chore. The actual soundstage seemed noticeably wider than my current system with sounds easily discernible outside the space between the speakers rather just in between them.

While listening to Sade’s Diamond Life SWMBO commented how good Diamond Life and Cherry Pie sounded lots of detail.

Holly Cole’s Night album sounded intimate, Massive Attack sinister and the Black Keys rocked.

Sending back the Proprius and plugging in my amplifiers revealed a bit of a shock, I seemed to have lost some treble down the back of the sofa.  Perhaps my perception of less weight mentioned earlier wasn’t strictly correct.

I can say that part of the perception is that Proprius seems to be a wider flatter bandwidth device with an clean and explicit treble (not in a bad ear shredding way) whereas with my amplifiers the treble is slightly recessed in comparison, maybe some sort of earlier treble roll off (it’s supposed to be a valve like topology)? I suppose this roll off of treble would mean the mid-range appear stronger whereas in fact it is probably more a case of I am used to the balance of system with my more recessed treble. 

I would still like to be able to hear a fully biamped Proprius system with the Aria driving them to confirm my thoughts about bass weight but I feel that this will be out of my price range for a while.

I will just add that my amplifiers are not dull and certainly outshone my previous amplifier a NAD 3030.

As I told Graham I am now looking at rearranging my system and cabling in the vain hope that all the improvements were down to the Lautus which would be a cheaper system upgrade.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 29 Jan 2013 at 11:20pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic