FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius Amp tweaking......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Well made and think another good Yorkshire company!

Neh, t'badlands! (Lancashire) Wink

Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

In my experience I agree that the 'best' sound tends to come when preamp volume control is 10.30 to 12.00 o'clock best balance between openness, power, dynamics and clarity. This has been subjective on 4 amps over the years and whilst not fully sure on the science suspect may be related to minimising possible preamp overload in some cases and allowing the power amp to function properly I am sure the more educated may be able to clarify.

Another Neh. They make them do nearly full output at around 1 o'clock to sound impressive! Been there - didn't like it - resigned.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:47pm
Hi, pictures in new website great and notice the Proprius has a different power supply to the normal psu. Is it a different case or differing supply?

Richard
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 6:08pm
Yes, it's a 48 volt bought-in switched-mode with built-in short circuit protection and excellent regulation. Does 120 (real) watts.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 4:07pm
These little gems need no tweaking whatsoever.  

They are driving my 6Ohm Harbeths with ease and then some srtrapped to the back with super sticky velcro.  It's just amazing how quality sound travels at normal listening levels.  

It's fair to say everything else sounds poor to middling by comparison.
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
goldiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 11:27am
Hi all - a question for those with more technical knowledge than the likes of myself!

My Majestic-Proprius combo happily drives my Spendor standmounts in a small-medium size room, so much so that I rarely exceed 9 o'clock on the Majestic's volume dial when the Proprius pots are set to max. If I adjust down the Proprius to say 12 o'clock, the Majestic can go to 10 o'clock or beyond with comfortable listening levels. BUT the sound changes - it's more relaxed, slightly less dynamic etc.

Ohms Law tells me that turning down the volume on either one, or both, components will reduce the Power (W) output to the speakers. So why the variation in sound?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 5:55pm
My setting is to have the Proprius level at about 2 o'clock. It reduces the gentle hiss but most importantly means I can use the more of the Majestic volume control range as you mentioned.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 7:20pm
The Proprius exhibit audible hiss at high dial positions with low impedance loads like speakers. I don't set them at max or out of circuit for this reason. I set the Proprius between 9 and 12 o'clock, allowing for more usable dial range on the Majestic too. For my cardboard open baffle speakers where I listen at close proximity, I set the Proprius at 9-10 o'clock to achieve a totally silent background at the speaker cone so I can use them like enormous headphones with angled drivers. Set at an appropriate signal to noise ratio, the Proprius are just like the Solo Ultra Linear.

I guess in theory that you are better having a higher preamp level going into a less amplified amp stage; a purer output in terms of signal to noise ratio.

Edited by Ash - 05 Jul 2022 at 7:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic