FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Propius in Av set up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propius in Av set up?
    Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 2:51pm
I am planning to possibly upgrade my current music/av setup, the emphasis more on the av side as music listening is usually done via solo UL & headphones. My current processor ( if Arcam manages to fix fault) is an AV8 with a same brand P35 power amps, 3 that mono lock fronts & centre, then a further P25 that powers rears. Speakers are all B&W 800 series. I'm thinking of upgrading the three power Amos to the front & centre speakers & was thinking of Arcams P1. However, with awareness that Graham's gear often outperform much more exotically priced offerings from the big brands, I have started considering the benefits of three propius power amps to replace the P35s. I like my movies loud & room is about 5m x 4.5m, so they need to cope with the explosions etc. music is important but secondary to av, for reasons previously mentioned. Many retailers would claim the based on price point this would be a side way step as the P35 retailed around £700 a £800 each, but I realise that this is not always the case. My only other query is that the mono blocked speakers are connected via two runs of speaker cable to run high & low frequencies separately, I notice the propius only has facility for one set of cables, I realise that the area of having two sets of cables is subjective some in support some not, but would like to also gauge opinion of this.
James
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 5:00pm
James, they have terminals that accept one cable horizontally and the other vertically or you can use the forked terminals under their clamps. There - they'll accept three cables!

Are they going to be loud enough to handle explosions in a 5m x 4.5m room? Just one moment...

The guys here just played Lobby Scene Matrix in this 22.5 sq metre place, which is the same area as your room, and apart from realizing why there's so much violence and bad attitude in the youth of today (and their parents if they watch this ....), I also had to ask myself if everybody has a vendetta against all their neighbours?

Now, I'm only running Stirling LS3/5a's that are 11 Ohms so it's only 18 watts full out, but I wasn't risking these speakers so the volume was adjusted a good deal below clipping.

And yes it was so loud it could be heard outside because the studio soundproofing wasn't quite designed for such high volumes. Luckily no neighbour was disturbed.

One of the guys here uses his Proprii at home for movies and he did all the testing in that respect. I trust he makes sure the neighbours are out...

One final thing. I worked down a coalmine during my heavy engineering apprenticeship so I can be as rough and ready as they come, but today after watching that clip I am shocked, really shocked.

Thank God for music.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 5:29pm
Sounds good, so you think this is a viable upgrade from my P35 amps?
James
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 5:41pm
Yes I think so. I am in a similar sized room and use my Proprius Hi-fi amps for the AV left and right channels. It's a midrange Onkyo AVR with 7.1 pre-outs and the Proprius amps do a great job. I would also add that the soundtrack music sounds much better!

Would you like to try the Proprius amps on home loan James? They come with Lautus cables to connect to a source with phono sockets, which I suspect is what the AV8 has. Please pm me if I can help.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 5:55pm
My Proprii handle the fronts in my AV setup with ample headroom ...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 5:56pm
Hi Jon, yes the av8 is phono output, I'd love to organise home trial but the av8 is currently on its way to Arcam after it decided to keep turning itself off, following a loud bump through the speakers, so I'm currently waiting to see if it can be fixed, & Arcam true to their reputation of taking their own good time have quoted possibly 6 week wait. So once I've av8 sorted (fingers crossed as I'm more than happy with this, even after listening to their av888), I'll get in touch Jon & take you up on your kind offer.
James
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 1:53am
Hope you're back in 7.1 land soon James. Let me know when you're ready to loan the Proprius amps.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic