FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Pro-Ject TT Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro-Ject TT Upgrade
    Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:04pm
I recently got an upgrade kit for my turntable, a Debut III Esprit, and thought I'd share the result and impressions here since I guess there are at least a few Pro-Ject TT owners amongst the forum members.

The kit consists of just two thick rubbery o rings to dampen the motor against the plinth, a thin round belt instead of the ordinary tape kind and also a new motor pulley to fit the round belt.
After installation I could instantly hear a clear improvement. The kit effectively silences the faint motor rumble of the TT. Now to be honest I had never been too troubled by it previously as it didn't seem all that obtrusive to me before and I was blissfully unaware of the existence of the remedy. Still, with the improvement there in front of me I could clearly "hear" the newly acquired silence and so I was very pleased with it no doubt.

Now I have had the upgrade installed for a few weeks and gotten quite used to it, so it was rather shocking when I switched it back today out of plain curiousity. Suddenly it seemed like there was a lot of air missing in the soundstage. Everything sounded remarkably denser. Suffice to say I quickly changed it back and all was bliss once more. I now feel that my Pro-Ject TT actually does my 2m Black pickup justice even though the cartridge actually costs more than the whole TT with the separate speedbox and really plays in another division, or at least ought to.
If you have a Pro-Ject turntable I strongly recommend looking into this kit. According to the ebay seller this kit will suit most Pro-Ject turntable, at least the less costly models.
The only downside I've found is that the new belt doesn't drive the platter as powerfully due to the smaller contact surface of the thin rounded belt. However it doesn't flutter or sway at all or in any way, unless you mess with it, so I don't consider it to be a problem.

edit: scratch that, I just had the belt pulley mounted too low, now I can't discern any real difference in drive power.

Here's a link with pictures and more info about the kit:
http://www.theapplechap.webspace.virginmedia.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/7/29_Installing_the_new_suspension_set_on_a_deck_with_50_%26_100Hz_rumble.html

Cheers

Edited by suede - 08 Aug 2012 at 3:38pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic