Print Page | Close Window

Audio Projects Magazine

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: Graham Slee Blog [sponsored by Cadman Enterprises Ltd]
Forum Description: This category is where Graham Slee comments - you can reply - but the rest of the forum is for members postings
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=758
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 12:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Audio Projects Magazine
Posted By: Graham Slee
Subject: Audio Projects Magazine
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2010 at 6:25pm
I'm in the process of setting up a subscription online audio projects magazine.

In the past there were some really good electronics magazines which featured audio projects but sadly these aren't easily available or non-existent today.

The magazine is for owners-forum members only, and is a paid for magazine... Some projects will appear here and at DIY-Audio-Kits.com free-of-charge (as samplers), but design time and materials cost money, so most will only be available in the magazine.

I can give members quite a number of interesting audio projects and will listen to our members wish-lists Question, so the magazine will have worthwhile projects in it. However, I am an "analogue man", so it could be difficult for me to do a DAK without bringing in another.

At the beginning I think I can only manage a bi-monthly (6/7 a year) magazine. What price would you consider reasonable for a magazine with some real top audio circuits? Question

In it I will feature...

DIY upgrades of the Graham Slee range of products - how to do it - the ins and outs - where to obtain components (sometimes us)...

At least one "called-for" project per edition - something the hobbyist can get his/her "teeth" into.

Larger construction projects may span 2 or 3 editions: here I'm thinking about power amps, that sort of thing. I have more ideas than the ability to turn them into viable products - it is far less restrictive for me to make and tweak a prototype and then make it available in "print"

Also circuit ideas/interesting applications.

A PCB service.

I will allow advertising to help with the running costs - anybody interested should PM me.

The magazine would be done as a PDF and distributed by "member-permissions" where those who buy a copy will have access to the download for the period of that edition.

Comments? Question

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Replies:
Posted By: rhmbus
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 3:23pm
great idea  a must for the price of a couple of pints
rayEmbarrassed

-------------
many an old tune

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 4:48pm
So is that 5 quid per edition on a twelve month?

So £10 (GBP) is OK per edition on a six month?

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: mrarroyo
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 9:00pm
I can see paying $30 USD per year for a bi-monthly electronic edition.

-------------
Miguel

Posted By: rhmbus
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

So is that 5 quid per edition on a twelve month?

So £10 (GBP) is OK per edition on a six month?
must drink in your local at those prices....... sounds about correct for the mag tho
ray

-------------
many an old tune

Posted By: iamalexis
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 9:15pm
i think it is a great idea! i would be happy with an annual subscription of around £60.

one thing i wonder is how easy or difficult the various projects will be to understand and how accessible they will be to the novice (i count myself in this category). how much basic/starter information would there be, along with information such as where to source components, psu's, enclosures etc. from what i know of how you seem to do things and how good the novo kit it i'm guessing this will all be very thorough?

i'm going to have a think about possible suggestions...

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 6:12am
Considering that, and based upon the "complete" lack of interest in doing anything ones self in the UK (victims of the couch slouch), I think it very reasonable indeed for any engineer worth more than ten quid an hour to work enthusiastically for 4 weeks on a top-notch printable electronically downloadable quality content magazine for an income of maybe twenty quid a month from two readers.... Ouch

As for 5 dollars per edition... ever tried outsourcing the entire project to a far eastern farm labourer? Ouch

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a non-starter?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 2:36pm
Graham, if there are 10 subscriptions then the actual benefit to the corporation would be 50 quid per edition. Still not a lot but ... it could grow as more people become aware and subscribe.

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 7:04pm
It would be more confidence building to know it was nearer 100 at £5 with a chance of growing. At least that could cover the cost of parts (prototype PCBs are quite expensive) and a bit for labour.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 7:46pm
I agree but as you very well know growth is both slow and sometimes painful.

-------------
Miguel

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 10:57am
Graham,

I was thinking in the £50  - £60 a year figure.  Think what you are offering is well worth that amount and I would be happy to pay it.

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Posted By: Analog Kid
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

...to work enthusiastically for 4 weeks on a top-notch printable electronically downloadable quality content magazine for an income of maybe twenty quid a month from two readers.... Ouch

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that. Big%20smile
Sorry, but that was too funny.
However, imagine how privileged and special those two readers
will feel, getting a limited edition handmade magazine just for them.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:28pm
Oh well, you gotta start somewhere, and I can always sell the back issues when the world realises what it's missing.Cool

-------------

Posted By: iamalexis
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 11:48pm
i had a couple of thoughts...

you could have different levels of membership, depending on whether subscribers to the magazine only wanted the printed info or everything including all necessary components etc. you could also offer discount to subscribers on already available diy kits, products etc.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 8:50pm
As I studied science at school and nothing remotely useful, will the proposed magazine include a ' how to section ' eg soldering!!

Adrian.

Posted By: Breakable?
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 4:02pm
Hi,
I just wanted to register my interest in an audio projects magazine,Great idea. I loved building my Novo kit and look forward to building more kits or modifying the Novo (can it be improved as it sounds fantastic as it is).
Thank you to all at Graham Slee Audio for their true 'Hi-Fidelity' products and for their help,service and welcome when i visited G.S. HQ

Posted By: RobW
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 2:50am
OK. So it appears that the magazine didn't fly ... yet. But obviously I'd be interested.
Damn those economic realities

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 5:22am
Originally posted by RobW RobW wrote:

OK. So it appears that the magazine didn't fly ... yet. But obviously I'd be interested.
Damn those economic realities

I did say I was "in the process" on the 7th of this month - only ten days ago.

The magazine will fly, probably straight into a rock face(ed public), but never mind..., and the Phono Preamp Project on this forum is a taster of things to come - a really juicy taster I'd have thought? By gum! I'd have given my right arm for such priveledged insider knowledge back in the 70s! But I forgot that my world ended in 1979! Its tangibility has since been replaced by the intangible we call potential - something that could work, but we, in the west, simply don't have the will to get off our fat couches and make it work! (not intending to be offensive here Rob - this is aimed at the other nearly-trillion members of the human race)

Contained in it are a number of embodiments of subjects covered in "The Art..."

"The Art..." goes in for the steep university learning curve because it is written for that one guy (or guyess) who wishes to obtain a BSc in that ancient paleolithic art of electronics, rather than regurgitating the same old computer circuit in as many sub-miniature forms possible to make a guy called Jobs the richest man on the planet, so we will worship him..... for we are not worthy!

Do not worry RobW, I shall put myself through the very heat of hell fire to bring my great understanding of this Neanderthal art to you, my customer!

Such a great modern world insn't it? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

(do you think I overdid it with the "Lord O Lord's"? I don't think so)

-------------

Posted By: RobW
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 1:51pm
[QUOTE=Graham Slee]

I did say I was "in the process" on the 7th of this month - only ten days ago.
/QUOTE]

And so you did. Obviously I was suffering some form of brain damage when I posted that last comment.
(perhaps from trying to cram electronics theory into my head?)
I really do remember seeing "2008" on the posts. The brain softens.
To be honest, the desire to understand your Phono Preamp Project combined with the Novo kit experience
(coupled with my audiophile leanings) is exactly what fueled my curiosity about the subject.
I truly do view this an an Art and for me it is enough in and of itself to be just that. It's a luxury for me to be
able to view it that way. Different for you I suppose when it comes to being and artist running a business.
I notice your Solo amp was featured fairly favorably against a few others in Hi-Fi Choice this month -
you might be busy.

Loved the reference to the Divine Jobs
Off with his head.

Posted By: jonclancy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Graham, if there are 10 subscriptions then the actual benefit to the corporation would be 50 quid per edition. Still not a lot but ... it could grow as more people become aware and subscribe.

Hi All,

This is an interesting proposal.  One of the reasons I won't be renewing my sub to HiFi+ is that it has become less relevant to me over the past year or so (but I still like the music reviews).  For me, a tenner per issue for content only is too steep.  If there were some boards included and the like, then that would become, for me, more do-able.

However, if the subscription was wider than just the few people on here who have shown an interest, then this could really take off.  Look how popular the DIY section was in Hi-Fi World was reputed to be.  Win-win.  More income for the Corp, less cost per issue for the readers, more input into forum threads and future project requests.

My 2p

Cheers

Jon

Posted By: J2004823
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:09pm
Hi Graham,

Personally, I hold great admire to you and all those old-school engineers who ascented the EE to the form of an art in the field of audiophile. I too, like many other members of this forum, am interested in your upcoming magazine. However, the absence of required knowledge holds me back to the couch with much frustration. If only your magazine can contain some references to the basic knowledge which is needed to fully appreciate the content of your writings, I will be among the first wave of substribers to chip-in.

-------------
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro / iPod Classic 160GB (7G)

Posted By: Chaucer
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 3:28pm
Hi all,

May I be the one who asks for news about Graham running through the very heat of hell fire for us all ?

LOL

I bet many of us are still holding their breath !

John

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:52pm
"Of Mice and Men is a novella written by Nobel Prize-winning author John Steinbeck. Published in 1937, it tells the tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers during the Great Depression in California." (Wiki)

Now, I know it is obvious that few understand that the UK, USA and other parts of the world are going through a similar depression which puts additional pressures on those who earn the national crust.

e.g. exporters and the nice way we get treated by the taxman (of Ephraim: the silly dove of Hosea) in times such as these whilst having to work longer hours - I'm already over the 72 hour week - to find more of the national crust. Corporation tax is 21% and that is how the country is supposed to earn its keep, lest the Siamese-twin Eaton educated prime ministers are unaware...

However, the truth of this great depression is now emerging and I feel very sorry for those under the age of 61 in the UK who will have to work an extra year (to 66) in failing health to support the greedy.

O sucks! I just lost 1% of our customer base! But somebody has to stand up to the fat pieces of lard.

At the same time we hear that 6 of the fat pieces of lard are to get over £2m in bonuses from the public purse...

For failing to reach target!

But, I am happy! I love the struggle because one day it will have all been worth it. I will also come out by saying I earn £10.68 per hour (work it out...)

Even though the UK is going down the flush, Graham Slee Projects Limited is busily investing in the future having already spent £7k on better test gear and is embarking on a £20k upgrade of workshop facilities, because somebody has to try and earn the dosh for the great lumps of lard to fill their troughs with.

So what's that to do with an Audio Electronics Magazine?

Nothing really apart from I found my cramped conditions made it impossible to compile a magazine and that once the improved workshop facilities are complete in August/September this year I will at last have my own R&D bench (instead of sharing one with production) and space to set up more prototypes... LUXURY!

I can't wait - hope you can Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:31pm
Was that a brag or a complaint? I had to sell my reality meter in order to eat!     But there is no depression.

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:52pm
Heck! And we Brits thought that middle management in the US was well paid!

Land of opportunity? Don't tell me the yanks lied? Wink

What a marvelous tool for finding the truth this Internet is! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:57pm
Graham, my comment was tongue in cheek. I feel I am well paid, if I wanted more I could go back and work overseas as I did before. However I used to work 70-80 per week and as you can imagine I had no life outside of work. I am much better now working 45-50 hours a week.

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:29am
Just as aside ( sorry! ) I accidently watched part of a program on America on TV last night. It stated that 37,000,000 ( million ) americans receive 'Food Aid' Many have had their homes reposessed ( by the banks!!! ) as they cannot afford to keep up payments following the banking crisis. The film showed very many boarded up properties.

1 lady interviewed earns $24,000 a year and is on food aid!! as she cannot afford to buy food after paying rent, utilities, school fees, health fees etc. Crazy!

Perhaps Obama is too wrapped up in trying to bring down BP and GeneralsConfused 

Ooooer a bit political here Wink

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:02pm
Greed coupled with mismanagement caused many of the problems. People thought they could make money by buying a house/apt and then sell it at a profit, well the prices were unrealistic and the banks loaned the money knowing it. Guess what ... crisis in the making.

Some through no fault of their own lost their jobs when the companies they work for went overseas due to cheaper labor and less strict environmental laws. We also made things worse by buying products that were cheaper and thus created a self full filling cycle. Of course now the workers in some these countries are asking for higher pay, wonder what next?

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:30pm
Miguel, you've just described the UK Shocked

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:24pm
It seems we do not learn, darn! At least we have music to ease the pain.

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

It seems we do not learn, darn! At least we have music to ease the pain.

"We" in this context doesn't include you (or me, or ABPest plus a few others). At least we are grateful for that!

The trouble is that even though the penny has dropped with some, they know it hasn't dropped with the multitudes and so they're inflating the bubble all over again, dimly unaware that there is a gaping blow out on the blind side...

"And the serpent  said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:"

When will they realise it was a great big lie?

PS. My earlier reply was tongue in cheek also Wink

-------------

Posted By: Fernando
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 8:31pm
Great idea. Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net