Print Page | Close Window

Speaker recommendations

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: And the rest
Forum Name: Transducers, Speakers, Mics...
Forum Description: Interested in bi-amping, tri-amping, crossovers, speaker design, miking techniques, EQ - the list goes on
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5535
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Speaker recommendations
Posted By: Paul Billington
Subject: Speaker recommendations
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 4:40pm
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum.
I'm now the proud owner of a full rack of graham's gear proprius, majestic,
accession and solo ultra linear.
I feel the weak link in my system is now my speakers whi h are monitor audio bronze 2, although I love them it's time for an upgrade.
I've watched loads of reviews and my head is just a mush now so looking for recommendations.
My room is 4.5m x 4.5 m and my speakers have to be 12 inches from the wall but also three feet higher than they should be, not ideal I know but that's how it has to be.
Looking to spend between £1000 - £1500.
Any help is much appreciated. Paul

Replies:
Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 5:28pm
If you are okay to DIY, Alpair 10P is a fantastic speaker driver that does Graham's electronics justice.

If you want a pre-made product, I would consider something like Cesti MBR.

Well-engineered products.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 5:36pm
thanks Ash. Not really into DIY but I'll take a look.
Had been looking at alot of speakers but didn't really know whether to go front ported, rear ported or closed box.
I do like a bit of bass. Mainly rock, thrash metal 

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 6:04pm
If in doubt as to what is suitable for your listening space and listening distance, buy a DIY driver pair with some budget speaker cable and mount them in double-walled cardboard boxes to get an idea of what sound is possible. DIY speakers like this have tremendous performance to price ratio and if you don't like them, selling is easy and shipping smaller drivers isn't too expensive. Then just try another speaker. It's good fun.

I have a pair of CHR-120 drivers and they are VERY capable full-rangers; quite large and very reasonably priced. If you want bass, you've come to the right place!

-------------

Posted By: Mikeh
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:05pm
Paul, my suggestion would be to talk to any local dealers to check what they suggest for demonstration as only your ears can determine the right sound. A decent dealer should  be able to offer a home trial or at least 'sale or return'.  There are so many good speakers available in your price range, it would be difficult to make any recommendations.  You have quite a large room to fill and if you like metal / trash at volume then you will need some fairly efficient speakers to pair with Proprius. Dealers would be able to give some.options for demo and take some of your style.of music to check what you like. 
Best of luck, enjoy the selection process and let.us know how.ypu get on

Mike

-------------
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:08pm
Have you tried MA Silver? The floor standers have good bass and clear sound 

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:20pm
Speakers are a very personal choice and room/listener matching is key. A square room is especially problematic due to standing waves. Reviewers usually listen to audiophilia-du-jour in treated rooms with ample speaker positioning choices and have no idea how Megadeth is going to sound in this particular special situation.

A few questions:

What is it you like about your current speakers, and what do you expect/want from an upgrade?

What do they sit on? I would have guessed stands, but "3 feet higher than usual" seems hard to reconcile with this. Tall stands? Wall mounts maybe? A deep shelf?

Also with "3 feet higher than usual" - does the possibility exist to angle the speaker downward such that the extended centreline of the tweeter is roughly directed at the listening position? (Wedges, adjustable wall mounts etc)

Where is the listening position relative to the speakers, or do you have no particular/lots of listening positions?

12 inches from the wall - would that be the rear wall, behind the speakers? What about distance from the side walls? 

Are the walls masonry or plasterboard? 

Is the floor concrete or is it boarded (perhaps if upstairs?) Carpeted?

Do you listen at low, moderate, or high volumes? (I know Slayer sounds best at stadium levels but not everybody wants that all the time...)

Is using a subwoofer an option? Depending on the above questions, an active sub may well be the easiest way to achieve deep bass with less boom in this situation, and give a highly useful point of adjustment to smooth out the room modes. But there are downsides - greater complexity, slightly imperfect timing, plus they're an ideological no-no for some people.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:26pm
ahhh my head is turning to more mush! Lots to think about.
I think I need to talk to my dealer and maybe have a listen to some speakers.
I really need to get this right as its end game stuff with finances etc

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:36pm
[QUOTE=Paul 

[/QUOTE

That is your best bet.
All I will say is, if you like the sound of the Bronze then the Silver's are going to give you more of the same, one other thing, I have the Silver's and they do need space, from my experience. I have them about four feet from the wall.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:54pm
A good dealer should be asking lots of questions, and then giving you a demo of various models which might be suitable, and then - this is crucial - letting you do a home trial of the lead contender(s).

Sadly good dealers are thinner on the ground than they used to be.

One thing's for sure - speakers will sound very different in this room than they do in the dealer's demo room. If you only bear one thing in mind, make it that.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I will make the right choice 

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:37pm
With speakers, you do not need to spend a lot of money to get excellent performance. Once you have invested in a pair of Proprius amps, you don't even need to spend £200 (DIY, of course) to trial what is possible. Mark Audio sell a CHN-50 driver pair for £40 in the UK excluding shipping. It's only a small driver so won't excel with aggressive music at a distance. They are more suited for nearfield listening at low-moderate volume. But they would demonstrate what speakers can do.

-------------

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Paul Billington Paul Billington wrote:

Interested to know where you are and who your local dealer is.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 9:21pm
phonostage audio up in Preston 

Posted By: Mikeh
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 11:09am
I had good experience with Phonostage, bought my Proprius from them ex-demo in perfect condition. They seemed very happy to demo gear.
Happy hunting!

-------------
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:42pm
Happy listening.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 2:46pm
I agree that you need to go listen to some speakers. If you have to do it at a dealer's shop, bring your own music on a CD or flash drive. Try to get them to set up the speakers in a similar fashion to what you would have at home. If they will let you demo some speakers at your place even better.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net