URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5498
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 3:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Turntable placement
Posted By: Davros
Subject: Turntable placement
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 10:06am
Hi all,

I have recently purchased an Accession MM and I am currently using a fair but not special shielded 5 metre rca interconnect to my amplifier, this keeps my turntable and phonostage well away from other power sources and vibration from my speakers and also makes for easy operation and to my ears does not induce any noise or hum.

I could easily put the turntable and phonostage between my speakers and go for a short interconnect to my amp, do the benefits of a shorter interconnect outweigh my logic of having the turntable well away from the main system and therefore not sharing power outlets.

So I was thinking of treating my system to an upgrade with a 4.5 metre cusat50 and keeping things as they are, does anyone have any experience of the comparison between a short cusat over the longest length Graham supplies? I know this will depend on its path and unknown RF interference. 

Also has anyone have experience of upgrading a well shielded interconnect to the cusat50?

Many thanks for any insight. 

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:11am
4 to 5 metres is not long when you consider that the signal is line level.
That the interconnect is shielded is common sense with all the RFI sources modern life has brought.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:44am
Thanks Chris, 

I guess I'm just trying to make sure the small gains we all obsess over are covered.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:01pm
Welcome to the forum David, hope you're enjoying your Accession.
As Chris says 4-5m long properly shielded interconnects should be no problem at line level.
I think it would be worth trying a pair of Cusat or Lautus courtesy of the loan scheme. Then you would have the definitive answer.

Happy Listening
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 7:07pm
Out of any HiFi I think the turntable is the hardest piece equipment to get right as far as placement is concerned, as you said you could put your turntable between the speakers, but I have read that this can cause problems and if you have to then you should place the speakers to the front of your HiFi. I think most people will agree that you shouldn't place your speakers firing towards the TT (can't think of the right words) as this can cause sound pressure to interfere with the needle. I myself have my rack in front of the speakers but to one side, In my case to the right when looking at the speakers, it was the best compromise. Most of us don't have dedicated listening rooms so our HiFi as to take up space with the TV and fit into every day living. If placement of your TT is one of your main concerns, what about a wall shelf.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:01pm
I think with a picture or diagram it would be easier to comment further.

Generally we want to keep the TT and phono preamp away from things like wifi devices, routers, smart devices, smart TVs, gaming consoles, etc. So many things nowadays have some sort of wifi connectivity with them.

We also want to keep the TT distanced from the speakers and/or on some sort of solid platform. It could be a sturdy table or hifi type rack. On my turntable I installed large sorbothane core feet for further isolation, which does tame vibrations into the plinth. This is easy to do a crude test for by putting your hand on the plinth while music is playing.

Not all turntables are the same and some types may need more or less isolation to function properly.

In terms of the cabling, the cable out the back of the turntable into the phono preamp input should usually be kept sort, e.g. 3-4 feet. The line level cable from the preamp output to the amplifier input can be longer. I would ask Graham or John what they think the maximum length should be there.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:11pm
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the warm welcome,
More than happy with the Accession MM, I was saving for a new unit but a second hand unit came up and I am impatient and after reading all the great reviews and posts on this forum I couldnt wait.
So the burn in was a complete unknown, I didn't know how much or if at all it had been used or burnt in but after 2 weeks I noticed as vast improvement akin to a new unit and sounds amazing now, if there is more to come...Wowzers!
I had the Lautus ruled out as it's not available in the length I need, I was mainly curious about any loss in fidelity with a 4-5M run.

Hello lfc jon,

My speakers a good way out into the room and the amp is behind them and quite low with the turntable to the left 2-3M away so I'm more than happy with its location as they all are as far away from each other that the room will allow so it was really down to the cable length vs the turntable not in horrible position between and behind the speakers but still in some kind of firing line and with the TV close and amp etc with a short interconnect. 

And a take on people's experiences with upgrading to the cusat50's with the 4.5M length vs the 0.6M or any length for that matter.

Cheers.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:23pm
Great information Patientot...

The turntable is on a some what sturdy unit about waist height but I haven't worked out how best to isolate it without going too crazy.

Thanks. 

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Davros Davros wrote:

Hi Ian,

Hello lfc jon,

My speakers a good way out into the room and the amp is behind them and quite low with the turntable to the left 2-3M away so I'm more than happy with its location as they all are as far away from each other that the room will allow so it was really down to the cable length vs the turntable not in horrible position between and behind the speakers but still in some kind of firing line and with the TV close and amp etc with a short interconnect. 

Cheers.

I was not sure so that's why I posted about system positioning. If it helps I like to keep cables as short as possable but I think that's what your trying to do!!
You will get better advice from someone else on this forum than I can give on this subject.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm
lfc jon..

I think it's me trying to ask too many questions in one post Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net