Print Page | Close Window

Cartridge Body

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: MM: Moving Magnet | MC: Moving Coil
Forum Description: Learn about the differences between moving magnet and moving coil cartridges here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5475
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cartridge Body
Posted By: Bonzo
Subject: Cartridge Body
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 1:51pm
I use a moving magnet cartridge and I'm getting near to stylus change time, and looking to see how old the present stylus is I found the original receipt for the cartridge, seems I bought it in 2004. There's been a fair few replacement stylus since then, but it got me thinking about what's in the body? Does it degrade/wear out? Is it time to replace the whole thing?

Not knowing the answer to either question that's where you chaps come in Wink any info would be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 2:02pm
it's rare that a cartridge wears out - if it does it's usually due to external influence.
If you like the sound of it replace the stylus.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 3:14pm
If you have any doubts about the cart body my advice is to test it with a multimeter. Although there are some things that can go wrong with a cart over time, if it is well cared for and there are no accidents with it, it should work fine for many decades.

I have cartridge bodies that are 30-40 years old and they were perfectly. I know people that have cartridges even older than that. The main thing that gets tricky is when a cartridge type goes OOP and you can't get OEM styli for it anymore.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: Bonzo
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 6:21pm
Thanks for the information I'd never really considered the body before good to hear they're reliable.

Been looking at the cost of a replacement (my cartridge is a rebodied G***ring, and given a fancy name), well the stylus is only a few pounds cheaper than a new G***ring cartridge, but looking forward the replacement stylus for that is £100 cheaper than mine so that's something for me to ponder.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm
I've got an early 1990's Goldring 10xx body still going strong after several new styli. I bought a 1042 stylus a couple of years back and it is very good.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:35pm
Because of the relatively small difference in cost between a replacement stylus and a complete cartridge, I once bought a new G***ring 1012, removed the stylus to replace the worn one on the turntable. and now have a spare cartridge. If the one in use ever gives trouble, the spare can be fitted and the existing stylus pressed into service again in a few minutes.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:09pm
You are right about the cartridge vs stylus pricing and I also thought the 1012 was really good. Higher cost but I like the 1042 even more.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:31pm
As it's so difficult to audition cartridges, I went for for the 1012 because reports suggested the Gyger II stylus has a slightly warmer character than the Gyger S on the 1042 does. Whether it actually does, I don't know, but I'm very happy with it. I'd be interested to hear your take on the difference between them, Jon.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:00pm
I bought a 1006 then a 1022 then got the 1012 stylus twice and still think it is really good. In a word the 1042 is more mellow but with detail. i prefer its sound.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 11:16pm
Interesting, thanks for that Jon, maybe I should experiment with a 1042 stylus next time around; they're only about another £40 if I recall correctly.

-------------
Graham

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net