Print Page | Close Window

Accession MM and Reflex M

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Write A Review
Forum Description: Satisfied with your Graham Slee phono preamp? - share your experiences here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5407
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession MM and Reflex M
Posted By: HPower
Subject: Accession MM and Reflex M
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 1:28pm
A week ago I took delivery of a Accession MM and a Reflex M and a pair of CuSat50 Cables,
via the Canadian loaner program.

Let me first thank Godra for sending me these units to demo and especially Graham for
facilitating such a generous program for prospective buyers!!!

Last week I unpacked the box that I received from Raphael and powered up these units,
the Ac MM in my main system and the R M in my 2nd system.
Moving my Thorens TD 160 to the main system I fired everything up and spun a few albums.
I found it difficult to decide on which loading setting was best for my Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge?

After switching back and forth a bunch of times I settled on the 220pf setting.
To my old ears, it seemed slightly better.

My first impressions were not that mind blowing, things sounded ok but the sound stage collapsed
by about half the width that I am use to with my digital set up.
My digital player is a Bryston BDP-2 feeding a Musical Paradise MP-D2 tubed DAC,
I feel this make VERY good sound.

I was not about to give up and decided to let the Accession sit there for a week powered up as
I have read that Graham's preamps will sound better left powered up and should sound better after
an extended time powered up.

Last night I decided to play a few albums to see if things had settled in over the week.
I played my new Acoustic Sounds, Willie Nelson / Stardust and was completely surprised at
how the sound had changed!
The soundstage was back to almost what I get with the digital system.
When I say almost, I mean very close.
The presentation does reveal the good qualities that most analog shows vs. digital.
I will not say one is better than the other, just different.

Up next was one side of Metalica's Black album to see how some heavier material would sound.
Again, I was impressed with how things were sounding!

This weekend I will play the Accession for a day and then try the Reflex for a day in the main system
and see if I first can tell if there is a noticeable difference, and 2nd, which I prefer.

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
2nd: TD 160, DVD 2900> Sansui AU-717> La Scala, Heresy3

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 3:50pm
Looks like you have set yourself up for a vary good listening session (test) this weekend.
Have you noticed the low background noise, It was one of the first things I was impressed with, compared with the phono my amp came with.
Your right to give them time. I found that out for myself too.
HAPPY listening

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 4:59pm
I "think" you are correct Jon about the low noise floor.

I am maybe tricking myself a bit so far with my demo,
Because my main system did not have a phono section, I had been using my new to me TD 160 on my
other system with the internal phono stage of my Sansui AU-717.
There, I did detect maybe a bit more bkgd noise through my Klipsch La Scalas.
The big Klipsch K 402 tweeters in my main system are about 3db more efficient than the 104db LSs,
so they are even more sensitive to any unwanted noises in the system.

Later, I will compare both GS preamps with my AU-717, that will also be interesting. Geek

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 6:09pm
I hope you have the experience I have had with Graham Slee designed gear, that is hearing a lot more from my LP's.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 9:28pm
Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. I'll keep an eye for a follow-up. 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Godra Godra wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. I'll keep an eye for a follow-up. 

I have had several more listening sessions both on the main system and currently on the 2nd system.
Both the Reflex and Accession sound great now that they have had time to settle in more.

Compared to the built in stage in my AU-717, both GSs are noticeably more fun to listen to.
More quite with the noise floor as well as with the ticks and pops of the record noise.

Were it gets trickier for me is picking which I prefer, the Reflex or Accession.
I want to say I like the Accession more, but it is so close that if I took either away, I am 
sure I would be happy with the other.

Probably what it will boil down to is how much I think I would benefit from the extra features on the
Accession, vs. the more economical price of the Reflex. Confused

If life cooperates, I will have a couple more critical listens before boxing everything up and sending back to Godra.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net