Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5389
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My TD 160 finally playing!
Posted By: HPower
Subject: My TD 160 finally playing!
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:45pm
Last October I had a bit of a nostalgic impulse purchase of this 1970's Thorens TD 160.

Long story short, this table was not even close to the way "buddy's" ad described. Disapprove

After me and my tech guy doing a bunch of work it is actually playing, finally.

Replaced the arm tube, NOS unit from Switzerland.
Replaced the head shell, twice, once with a new replica which was garbage and finally with a nice used original TP 60.
Re-wire everything, added AC inlet, RCA jacks and Ground post.
Upgrade the suspension with a new spring kit from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana, along with some new feet.
Mounted a new Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge.
Swapped out the drive pulley with a beautifully precision-machined, four-piece alloy pulley from Audiosilente in Italy.
I built a new plinth from 1 inch Baltic Birch, veneered with flat cut Walnut veneer with a solid strip of Birdseye Maple for the dust cover stop.
The bottom is now made from 1 inch MDF painted with Duratex, much better than the 1/8 inch hardboard that it originally came with!

And here it is playing it's first LP... Neil Young, Carnegie Hall 1970, great record!

some more shots of how she looks now...

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
2nd: TD 160, DVD 2900> Sansui AU-717> La Scala, Heresy3

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:53pm
That is really good work on a classic deck. I hope it sounds as good as it now looks?

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 8:18pm
It certainly sounds MUCH better than it did when I got it from the dirty rotten $#(%&&@! that I bought it from.

Playing in my 2nd system through my rebuilt Sansui AU-717 phono section, it sounds pretty good.
I can only guess I would hear an improvement with either a Reflex M or Accession MM in the chain???

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
Got one of those with a SME arm. Think a renovation project is in order. Yours looks superb well done. 

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Got one of those with a SME arm. Think a renovation project is in order. Yours looks superb well done. 

Thanks Ernie!

I was initially thinking this table would be plug and play when I bought it.
Unfortunately that was not the case and a lot of the work was required to make it play quietly.
Then some of the work was "upgrades" and some was merly cosmetic.

The bloody arm and head shell were a big problem and I maybe should have bailed on it and 
dropped in a used 3009 or brand new Moth (Rega) RB330.

I may revisit that thought later down the road. Ermm

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:36pm
Looks great!

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:58pm
Agreed. It looks similar exept for the nifty front rail on yours, to the one I worked on for a colleague which has an SME 3009 improved series 2 arm if memory serves. We did a reboxing with sockets on the back like yours which look really good IMO, kept the original springs in his.

Great look, how is it souding?

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 2:00pm
I am happy with how she is sounding in my 2nd system with the AU-717 and La Scalas.

I am very anxious to hear how it might sound in my main system with my big speakers.
But, that will need to wait until I can get a Phono Preamp.

I guess I should drop Godra (Raphael) a PM and see about getting my hands on a loaner Reflex M or 
Accession MM.

-------------

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:02pm
Tom
Yes I think it's about time too. You got to hear it to it's best potential.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:41pm
Jon's right. I will surprised if you don't have the same experience we've had trying a loan HFC unit, delight followed by an order!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:03pm
AGREE

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net