Print Page | Close Window

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Administration
Forum Name: NEWS
Forum Description: Details of things like site maintenance, downtime, site upgrades, flood, famine and earthquakes.
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5384
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 14
Posted By: Graham Slee
Subject: 14
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 6:23am
For those who like commemorating things, this owners club will have completed its 14th year tomorrow (11th Jan UK time).

My thanks to all who've contributed over the years, and especially the loan coordinators past and present and the moderators for their commitment and professionalism.

Although its population says it's nearly 4,000, it is an ageing one, and we have suffered losses among the helpful and wise.

I also thank the "core" who have stuck with it for most of these 14 years, and they know who I mean.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Replies:
Posted By: HPower
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:24am
Happy anniversary Graham!
I am new here, buy look forward many more years.

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
2nd: TD 160, DVD 2900> Sansui AU-717> La Scala, Heresy3

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

Happy anniversary Graham!
I am new here, buy look forward many more years.

Thank you. I wonder if any other member will notice? Today being the day.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 9:40am
Happy Anniversary Beer

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:41am
Happy Anniversary to us.... Thumbs Up 
I've only been here 10 years (nearly), but it's been fun.

Happy Listening
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: McHolmeM
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:45am
A double anniversary as it was on this day in 2019 I traded in my Reflex C and upgraded to an Accession MC.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:54pm
That's another good reason to cheer Malcolm. Happy 14th anniversary to the forum and thanks to Graham for giving this to us all.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:29pm
Happy anniversaryClap

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: mitch65
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm
happy belated birthday! 🥳🥳

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:58am
It might be considered odd "celebrating" 14 years, but me being slightly mathematical, and having been around for a while, I see trends.

For example

9 - 2 = ?

22 - 15 = ?

15 - 8 = ?

8 - 1 = ?

Yes, 7 to all.

The numbers represent years: turning point years, the first in the above series is private, but the remaining three can be prefixed 20.

Although "GSPaudio" started in late 1998, 2001 marked "dealer acceptance year", but then we were plagued by negativity from forum trolls. So in 2008 I set up our own forum to which several decent types from the troll infected forums migrated. Turning point one.

The 7 years between 2008 and 2015 saw the introduction of the loaner program, and the sluggish start of our roadshows - "Hearing is Believing" being the motto (thanks Bob).

These were initiatives suggested by the membership, and I listened and followed it up.

We did the unthinkable, and let the people decide if our products were any good, rather than trusting in one individual - a reviewer - telling you what you should buy. We had noticed the connections between magazines and brands, and/or reviewers and brands, even if the average Joe hadn't.

The support from members on here was incredible. Four members had been so impressed with our products, and knowing they were designed and made by real working people no different from themselves (that's us), volunteered to help. It humbled me, and I'm still massively grateful to them.

Since then, life changes have seen loan coordinators "retire" and new ones volunteer, and we now have five in "the four corners of the world".

The short lived roadshows started in 2014, and Aylesbury was a great success. The editor of What Hi-Fi attended, but we never got a write-up, but never mind, a good time was had by all - group photos centre top of forum home page.

We did another for north Midlander's in 2015 - photos left and right of forum home page banner.

But very soon another turning point beckoned and put paid to the events. A political clanger had occurred and seen on TV, but I was still to realise the consequences. The "children" Angela, John Mac, Vladimir and Viktor were playing games with the great gates of Kiev, and the resulting sanctions stripped us of 70% of our turnover. That's the sort of thanks you get for being an exporter.

But for a clever and completely legal restructuring plan, we'd have been out the door. So clean and legal that HMRC and many of our suppliers were too suspicious to play, but everybody got paid in full and we did it anyway, for which I was "fined" £12K. Honesty doesn't pay!

That and a personal illness saw the 2015 turning point, and under the renamed HiFi System Components Ltd we soon recovered. One thing the suspicious never saw was that Graham Slee Projects Ltd was re-registered by me shortly afterwards, and in company law is something that isn't allowed if what HMRC accused me of were to be true. Companies House and HMRC being one and the same. I never got my £12K back.

So, here we are in 2022, another 7 year time slot. What will the next turning point be? 

-------------

Posted By: Bi-wire
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:45pm
Aylesbury was back in 2014!? Where have those years gone. Oh well, I really enjoyed that roadshow and it seems a pity that it's unlikely there'll be any more.

-------------
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50

Posted By: HPower
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 4:09pm
Lucky 7s Thumbs Up

-------------
1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
2nd: TD 160, DVD 2900> Sansui AU-717> La Scala, Heresy3

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 8:29pm
It is a huge achievement. I am glad to have been here for some of it and long may it continue.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It is a huge achievement. I am glad to have been here for some of it and long may it continue.
+1, I just don’t know how it survived as long as it did without me! 😂

I’d love to know what’s happened to some of the old regulars.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
Its like see the child of a freind you remember being born and seeing they are now 5'8'' and drinking in the part,  that feeling of age creeping up on you.

Belated Congratulation.. 

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:19pm
Hear, hear. Yes that's another punny audio reference like listening is believing which was one of mine from 2011 onwards to plug the UK loan scheme.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 10:16pm
I'm late to the party. Happy anniversary ! I'm happy to be of help as a loan coordinator. I just want to let you know Graham that I admire your no nonsense and sensible approach to Hifi. I'm now way more critic about what I read now. It's really hard as a consumer to navigate that sea of superlatives statements we found almost everywhere now. Hopefully with the loan program you can hear for yourself! 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net