Print Page | Close Window

Grado 'x' series headphones

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Headphone Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Headphone Amps
Forum Description: Questions, answers and product information zone for Graham Slee Headphone Amplifiers
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5303
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Grado 'x' series headphones
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Grado 'x' series headphones
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm
Has anyone tried the new 'x' Grado headphones? For example = SR60x.

Does the Slee amps work well with Grado's? I understand Grado's have a certain flavour about their sound etc.

I currently own the Solo SRG II with green psu. Not in a huge rush to upgrade to PSU1 yet. Better to take things slowly! 

S.

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
A lot on this forum seem to rate them and say they work good with Graham Slee headphone amps. I have never owned Grado headphones so I can't any more, sorry

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:57pm
Hi Shane, I have used two different Grados with Graham Slee amps and they sounded very good to me. I have also heard other Grado models that worked well. There are other good headphones out there that also sound very good with Graham's amps.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Mikeh
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
Hi Shane, I had a more negative experience with Grados. I bought and fairly quickly sold a pair of SR80x earlier this year. My main dislike was that I found the foam earpads very uncomfortable when wearing glasses. The sound was OK but I don't think they were run in before I sold them and replaced with Beyer Dynamics. A bit more expensive but very comfortable for listening with my Novo + PSU1.

-------------
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
That is a good point. I must add that I fitted the larger foam pads on my GH1's.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:21pm
I also find wearing glasses uncomfortable with my Sennheiser HD600 but I have used others and felt the same so I take them off but it is a bit of a pain when playing vinyl, having to put them back on to change sides or finding a new record to play (this is the same with CDs)

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:26pm
Shane. What is your budget for new headphones?

-------------

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:02pm
Grados are typically low impedance so will be driven best by the Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition, which was (re)designed for "difficult" loads.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Shane. What is your budget for new headphones?

£100-£150. Open back. 

S.

Posted By: Adytiger
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:52pm
Hi Mikeh
Which Beyers do you have (model/impedance, etc.) I’ve been thinking of pairing with the DT880 Edition model (600 ohm) ?

Posted By: Mikeh
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Adytiger Adytiger wrote:

Hi Mikeh
Which Beyers do you have (model/impedance, etc.) I’ve been thinking of pairing with the DT880 Edition model (600 ohm) ?

They are the Amiron, 250ohm. I'd say they are very smooth and comfortable. With my set up (Novo + PSU1 fed by Cusat50 from Majestic) they not the brightest or deepest sounding headphones I've experienced.  Worth reading some reviews and trying them.

-------------
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net