Forum Description: Because it's #AllAboutTheMusic
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5243
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Synthesizer music
Posted By: lfc jon
Subject: Synthesizer music
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm
There was a time when people said synthesizer music was not proper music, Well I have just been listening to the The Human League, Album, Box set, A Very British Synthesizer Group Clap.Tell me it's not proper music?. I also like Jan Hammer, Jean Michel Jarre.
Does anyone else like this type of music?
Smile

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Replies:
Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:43pm
Video game music makes up a significant proportion of my listening material, so yes. Fantastic music comes in many different forms.

An example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wif3MEdRaPA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wif3MEdRaPA

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:10pm
I would not say video game music is my thing as I don't play video games but some sound tracks I have heard have been very good and a report on video game music I read some time ago said that the gaming industry enployee some top musicians for their sound tracks.
But you are right music comes in many different forms and I may like some and someone else will not.
I am not a music snob I just like what I like end of.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 9:38pm
+1 for Human League, Jon. Thumbs Up  Jan Hammer and Jean Michel Jarre I really ought to explore, I've heard them both at different times but can't really claim familiarity with either.

Like you, I like what I like, no one genre: some classical, rockabilly, (rhythm and) blues, J-pop, metal, what in my youth was called underground (ie High Tide), some jazz, and much else both ancient and modern, with very little to connect it all other than to say I'm fond of female vocals, much less male ones.

One consequence of this disparate lot is that my wife has never bought me music. She's never been able to work out why I like A but not B. I think she gave up trying to guess what my taste is long ago, and is quietly convinced I have no taste whatever!

I seem to have rambled away from synthesizer music, don't I...

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
Hi Graham
Me too, People say to me all the time I didn't think you like that sort of music. I am not a fan of classical music and I don't have any but would not say I don't like it and as for female vocals most of what I like as female in it, Blondie for one. I do buy a lot of music with females in the band or on vocals or both. Jan Hammer, Jean Michel Jarre not a big fan with only 2 or 3 of their albums but what I do have I like vary much. I just started this post for a bit of fun, but it does get to me when people say that's not proper music (synthesizer music)

-------------

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:58am
I too enjoy some synthesizer music, especially the one man band stuff like Jean-Michel Jarre and Rick Wakeman, but it depends on how well, or how badly it's abused. Put Wakeman with Jon Anderson and it must have been a nightmare in the mastering suite. Put Moraz with Jon Anderson and you might as well listen to 100% distortion. Listen to i by Moraz and break out the Sensodyne! Synths are harmonic distortion generators "tuned" to sound musical, but so are electric organs. Jean-Michel's stuff is musical, whereas Keith Emerson played rough, and must have been on LSD if he thought some of his work sounded musical. Good and bad in everything, and poor old Eddy Offord...

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:07am
IMO, there's nothing intrinsically unmusical or "inferior" about the synth. For example, Bach's keyboard music works very well on the synth. There's a pretty strong argument that the pipe organ, for which he wrote a lot of his music, is the earliest form of synth.

However, the synth's reputation may be slightly tarnished by the fact that, sonically, it is so flexible, that how and when it is typically used, musical form and structure can sometimes take a back seat to "pure effects and theatrics".

I am partial to a little J-M-J myself, occasionally. Purely in terms of what's written on the staves, the actual "music-material" is very slender. But that's not the point - one has to take in the whole context of the sound-world he's creating and admit that's as much a part of the "music" as the notes on the page.

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:36am
Here is where the amplifier's definition of distortion departs from the musical instrument's!

No musical instrument, other than a synth set up appropriately, generates a pure 1khz sine wave. They all have a natural harmonic series (of, usually, even harmonics!) and the composition of that harmonic series determines the nature of the tone (the timbre) of the instrument. Synths, including virtually all forms of the organ, deliberately bring the manipulation of the composition of that harmonic series within the control of the performer, and so allow them to synthesize different sounds. It's fully intended, so not distortion :-)

If, OTOH, the amp does this all by itself in response to a 1khz sine wave, then that definitely is distortion. And this is why some groups of listeners like certain types of amplifier, because the "right" kind of distortion adds harmonic interest to the sound. It's the "right" kind of distortion because it follows the natural harmonic series that we're all familiar with just from hearing natural sounds.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:17am
Keyboards & synth music can sound a little dated after a few years - e.g early Vangelis, Kraftwerk
70's Floyd.
Some modern synth music sounds very interesting and immersive e.g composers such as Steve Roach,
Erik Wollo etc.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:18pm
My father had lots of synth music including JMJ, Tangerine Dream, and Rick Wakeman. In the new wave era I enjoyed the early Human League albums, Ultravox, Gary Numan, and John Foxx among others. The Peter Gabriel albums have a lot of syntheised and sampled sounds. Fortunately I still have all the LP's from these artists and things like Vangelis too. I'd also add Who's Next as a good example. My sense then and now is that a lot of hard work went into creating those sounds with relatively simple analogue equipment. Whilst loving that cutting edge I'd agree with RichW abou the sophistication of modern synth music.

Not a synth but the enrichment of amplifier distortion made me think of Jon Lord's Hammond through a Marshall amp, yielding 'the beast' you'll hear on classic Deep Purple albums.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
I seem to have started some thing here about synth music and a lot of great artists have been mentioned, I will add Howard Jones into the mix not to everyone taste I know but to me I like what he has done. I think to the average person they would be surprised how much music is out there that use the synthesizer, It had bad reputation because of lets say it CRAP music being made in someone's bed room (but not all). 
Jon. Me to I much prefer the early Human League stuff

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:21pm
Substrata - cold, dark, immersive and deeply melancholic ambient from Norway's Biosphere.
Wonderful album.

TD01 – Biosphere & Jon Wozencroft “Substrata 2.1” | Touch

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:59pm
Nice image Rich.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
LCD Soundsystem - Album - 45:33  A great band. 1st heard them in the record shop in Totnes

-------------

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

There was a time when people said synthesizer music was not proper music, Well I have just been listening to the The Human League, Album, Box set, A Very British Synthesizer Group Clap.Tell me it's not proper music?. I also like Jan Hammer, Jean Michel Jarre.
Does anyone else like this type of music?
Smile

That Human League box set is excellent.

The Yazoo boxset is as well, the live BBC sessions disc in there is my favourite.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:12pm
Steve
That's a band I have not heard of in a long time (Yazoo) I was not into them but I did like some of their tracks that made it  into the charts.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Agreed! Reproduction and Travelogue are two records I've enjoyed for over 40 years.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:22pm
I was enjoying Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record earlier. Prog not post-punk.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:44pm
The soundtracks for Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 are amongst my favourites and they are mostly synthesizer music. Creative genius.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:49pm
I'll have a look for those Ash. Much earlier John Fox's Metamatic is one I play about twice a year. Underpass!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:02pm
Listening to Kraftwerk - Minimum - Maximum. Because Tim suggested Tour de France by them, after my comment about my bike ride near on killed me

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:44pm
I listened to a Tomita album earlier, Bermuda Triangle, which was imaginative.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 3:23pm
I have just listened to GLASS CANDY, I Always Say Yes. I have got to find out if they have any other albums out as I have been playing this album a Lot. This is another band from the USA, I don't know why but lately all the music I have been buying is from this country. I can't remember the last time I bought a British artists music. There is one Shirley Manson is from Scotland but the band Garbage is from America, Does this count?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 7:15pm
After Bob's youtube post it inspired me to play Depeche Mode's album "Some great Reward"

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:12pm

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:52pm
And not forgetting one of my favourite soundtracks ever.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 4:29pm
On Friday late at night I fell a sleep after a few beers and then woke up to find on BBC four, programs called Synth Britannia and Synth Britannia at the BBC, if your into synthesizer music these programs maybe worth checking out on BBCs iPLAYER. It inspired me to buy new music by Glass Candy & LCD Soundsystem. I am now listening Glass Candy and OMD.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 5:41pm
Synth Britannia is a classic music documentary.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 6:25pm
I don't know how old these programs are ? but it's the first time I'd seen them.
Today I ordered a Glass Candy album Beat Box and LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver, I did wont them on Vinyl but after looking on Discogs I could only get them from the USA & Canada and I was looking at over £100 each with shipping so I ended up buying them second hand on CD for under £25 with shipping, it seems that both bands are not that popular in the UK because after looking on HMV & Am--on & others they came up with (Glass Candy) only one album of theirs which I already have LCD were a bit more popupar but most albums would have been on CD. I did try on Discogs to order Class Candy on vinyl from Japan at just over £40 but something went wrong and when I went back the listing had been taken down. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 7:18pm
I think SB is over ten years old but it covers bands and music around 1980. Some obscure LP's that were remastered for an aging audience like me!

New music outside the charts is hard to get on vinyl and cd in the streaming age. I signed up for Tidal last year for the huge archives and some of the new music. It has also allowed me to find and play quite a lot of punk and post punk stuff.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:00pm
It's funny you say about streaming I was watching today on youtube about this HiFi shop owner, he was doing a reveiw on turntable weights and he said he doesn't sell them (streamers) in his shop as most of his customer's don't ask for them, He didn't offer up an explanation as he said this for another video, he did go on a bit of a tangent because he was saying that three years ago he didn't sell one CD player for about a year but as been seeing CD player sales on the up over the last year or so and had been seeing new customers coming in asking for turntables and CD players, he put this down to people wanting a physical thing in their hands when playing music. He also went on about synthesiser music as he had noticed a lot of young people coming in to review a piece of HiFi with that type of music.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:53pm
Looking online I see quite a lot of hifi shops still sell streamers but I agree with you about handling the physical media and packaging.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:24pm
I do think his shop is in the minority and I think he's missing out on sales but it's his shop and he must know what he's doing by not selling them. I may look to see where his shop is located to see if this offers up any explanation.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 8:36pm
LCD Soundsystem "Sound of Silver"
I do like this band, I have a few of their albums. I this should have gone under  Music that's impressed you today as I have just got it and listen to it today.

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:07pm
Played this synth LP the other day. Berlin school electronics circa '84.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:36pm
[QUOTE=patientot]
Played this synth LP the other day. Berlin school electronics circa '84.
I've heard of them

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 8:47pm
Glass Candy, B/E/A/T/B/O/X. got this album at the same time as LCD Soundsystem. It's really hard to get hold of their music and other than I Always Say Yes, are the only albums I've got of them.
I did email the shop I got it from and he said that the only other album I've got is I Always Say Yes, which I have, he also said if you email me back saying yes he would get back to me if he got any more of their music in, which I did.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 10:24am
Immersive, thoughtful soundscapes to distract temporarily from a lousy world.

Earth Luminous: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:59pm
Rich, that's a very good album. I have quite a bit of Wollo stuff and some of Metcalf's collaboration albums with other artists also. I'm quite fond of "The Serprent's Lair" which is Metcalf + Steve Roach. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:31am
Yes, many of Steve Roach's collaboration albums are very good - such as Well of Souls
with Vidna Obmana & Stream of Thought with Erik Wollo.

Steve Roach's solo work is also diverse and interesting.
Some are very immersive and meditative - such as Back to Life & Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces
and many others in his long catalogue.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:36pm
I have just found out from another forum (but didn't say what qulity) that all Glass Candy albums are available on apple music for download, so as I said before it looks like downloading is something I'm going to have to get use to BUT not going to like.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net