Print Page | Close Window

Ripping then moving to HDD

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Digital Audio
Forum Name: Computer Audio
Forum Description: Is computer audio here to stay or is it just another flavour of the month?
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5215
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 8:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ripping then moving to HDD
Posted By: lfc jon
Subject: Ripping then moving to HDD
Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:35pm
I have a lot of Blondie CDs and when I rip them I then move them to my HDD so far I have ripped just two CDs but when I move them they go into A blondie file but as two separate albums (files), this so far is not a problem, but I would like to have them as a separate file or album.
I am ripping in FLAC if this helps.
I am new to ripping so I do not have any experience, I am using dBpoweramp software. I would like to move some of the Files to a personal music player but I don't wont to fill this up with one artist as I would like to have a mix of artists and albums.
I have tried to look this up on dBpoweramp help page but there was nothing there to help me. 

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Replies:
Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:42pm
Can't you bypass that by going into file manager and putting them into folders of your own choice?

My Music folders

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:58pm
Jon

This is my preferred setup.
Go to the bottom left corner and zoom in.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:00pm
As per Graham, it's what I do too, Jon - just a create a folder and give it the name you choose, say Blondie - then inside it, place additional folders representing the individual albums, and within those album folders the relevant flac files.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:22pm
thanks all for getting back to me so quick I will try both this weekend, It seems I have a lot to learn with this computer audio if I'm to take any further, but at the moment I'm just happy to back up my CDs.
It is still making me think? It maybe a hobby to take up (as I don't have one) and I can listen to music as I do it, HAPPY DAYS

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:02am
I have a similar problem with EAC (exact audio copy), because I don't understand where it's going to shove the folder.

Instead, I give the folder a silly memorable but unique (on this computer) name (usually some expletive...), and after I've finished ripping, I use file explorer's search to find it.

I can then drag it (or cut and paste it) into "my music" folder, then I can rename it.

I found a tutorial below about using file explorer, and apologise in advance if you already knew that.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: MS61
Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:08pm
I´m always ask (expletive words) - why cannot EAC create new folder incl. correct name from metadata?
Anyway we can set the output folder in menu:

I cordially dislike Win explorer and alway try to avoid this halfbaked strange thing. I´m accustomed to "classical" dual-pane file manager. (Imagine good ol´Norton Commnader. ) I recommand strongly to use Total Commander (maybe alternative - now free Altap Salamander). Give it a try!

Michal

-------------
Technics SP15 / Audiomods 6 / SH-15B3 plinth / Audio Technica AT 150 Sa / Accession M / Genelec 8030 + RME ADI-2 Pro ADDA

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:52pm
I think you could just get dBPoweramp to do this for you. 1) decide where your music is saved the 'path' below and 2) how you want the artist and albums to be split in 'naming'

dBPoweramp settings
Path could just be left as Music which will be the windows default folder for music or like mine a fixed drive letter with a folder name I created.

The naming here would give you a folder for Blondie and folder sinside for each album you rip by Blondie. Hope this helps.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by MS61 MS61 wrote:

I´m always ask (expletive words) - why cannot EAC create new folder incl. correct name from metadata?
Anyway we can set the output folder in menu:

I cordially dislike Win explorer and alway try to avoid this halfbaked strange thing. I´m accustomed to "classical" dual-pane file manager. (Imagine good ol´Norton Commnader. ) I recommand strongly to use Total Commander (maybe alternative - now free Altap Salamander). Give it a try!

Michal

And we can get is to create artist and album folders, and put the ripped files in the correct folder

To see the images in their original size right click and select view image in new tab

Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:09pm
Hi All
with all my Blondie albums going into one folder on the HDD, this is how I'm getting them as one file.
1st I rip the CD which then goes into Music folder 2nd I then move that file over to the HDD, that album goes into the Blondie folder. 3rd I then move that file back to the Music folder on my computer 4th I move that file back to the HDD it is then a separate File, then I right click on file and rename it ALL DONE.
I don't know if this is what you are telling me to do but it works for me (may be the long way about it but) HAPPY

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:24pm
Hi all
with bands of the same name going into the same folder, I have found out that a quicker way of doing the same thing as my last post is to go to folder then tap  on it 2 time and bring up the file of the album then right click go to rename and then rename that file. this does the same thing. With a 2 CD album make up a folder of the album then put both files in it this way you got files of that album in one folder.
Just thought you'd like to know.
A mate of mine was asking what I was doing, called me a name I'm not going to say here (it started with W) and told me how it was done.     

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:44pm
You can get dBPoweramp to this for you if you wish. Just edit the save path to take out /album name. And if you use track number offset* you can give both discs the same album name.

*see what the last track number on disc one is, set the track number offset to that. Then disc two starts with the next track number, which is better than having two track number ones and twos and...!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
Just finished Ripping my last CD 2 days ago, I do have 2 CDs that I'm having problems with but I have not got round to sorting them out yet (I do know what the problem is and know how to sort it out) I am going to connect my computer to the CD player so as to use the DAC, As I am using the players DAC will I hear any difference in sound? (I will get round to using a GS cable for this) What I'm asking is will the FLAC file sound different to listening to a CD?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 3:37pm
It's never done so to my retirement ears, Jon. I play flac files from a HDD connected by USB to my streamer > pre-amp/DAC. I did once try to compare the sound 'side by side' as it were, switching outputs from one to the other as both played. The difference as I recall, was just a difference in output volume. It's a while ago now, but I think the CD was marginally louder.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm
Hi Graham
They do say it shouldn't do but I have read some where that some say it sounds better on FLAC, But as for the volume issue, I have encountered that with some of my CDs I have and have to turn up the volume so that's not a problem. I was just wondering about the sound quality that's all, I know at my age I do not have the hearing that I did have say 30 years ago but I can still tell the difference between a good HiFi set up and a bad one. I can always play a CD when I wont the best quality and I will still buy and listen to CDs. As I have said on this forum before I do like looking at my music collection, It's not the same when looking at music files on a computer screen as I have something in my hands to look at. I'm old school.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:26pm
I honestly don't think you'll hear an obvious drop in quality Jon - well, unless streaming from a computer degrades the sound in any way, I've no experience and can't comment on that.

If you find that the difference in volume between some CDs is just too irritating, you can go a long way to 'correcting' the flac versions ripped from the 'quiet' ones by importing them into Audacity, and choosing Normalize; then export the result as another flac file. The exported file will have a higher volume. It's just three clicks and some wait time while Audacity does its stuff, but it's an added chore and the time can add up.

-------------
Graham

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Graham
I have dBpoweramp and that compares other rips in it's data bank when I rip my CDs in accurate rip so the CDs I have ripped are OK, Not a lot you can do with CD but turn up the volume. My mate is letting me have a cable to connect the computer to my CD players DAC before I get a GS cable, So I will compare the two for sound quality for my self. This is the 1st time for me with computer audio so I'm learning at the moment.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm
Hi John
   I think it depends a lot on the quality of the CD player you used. Computers are an electrical storm in a box! When I owned aMajestic I got very worthwhile improvements in sound by using an AudioQ**** Jitterbug. It quietened the background digital hash quite a lot made for easier long term listening. That was running out of a MacBook. However, when I bought a dedicated streamer with a great deal of work dedicated to electrical noise reduction, the little device made no audible difference. 
Cheers
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 7:26pm
Michael
I do know my CD player does have a good DAC and I can't see me replacing it any time soon or buying a DAC to get a better sound, I was just thinking it is a good way to play back ground music but I still would like to have good sound quality, It would be less important because it's in the back ground and I will be doing other things and not just listening. Spending money on my HiFi will have to take a holiday at the moment as I have just ordered a push bike. I'm trying to get fit as I have just found out I'm not as fit as I used to be. Today I have found out that my new Graham Slee cables will be delivered tomorrow that will be my last HiFi up grade for awhile.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:25pm
Just ripped the first CD where I had to edit all the track tags, WHAT A PAIN. As it was a Japanese live recording in 1982 I'm assuming it was only intended for the Japanese market, but this year it was released in the UK.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Just ripped the first CD where I had to edit all the track tags, WHAT A PAIN. As it was a Japanese live recording in 1982 I'm assuming it was only intended for the Japanese market, but this year it was released in the UK.

The database the CD metadata comes from is not comprised of data given by record companies.
When record companies provide such data they frequently make a proper balls up of it, so best avoided anyway.

It comes from ordinary folk like you and I.
If the metadata you pulled in was in Japanese it means that the only entries for the CD are in Japanese.

I had to manually enter data myself this morning, because the data pulled in on the first of two CDs was completely wrong.
The second CD came up just fine.

The rip reports will get back to wherever they're compiled when my machine submits the data.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net