Forum Description: The existing (and obsolete?) digital formats
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5194
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 9:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CD Audio
Posted By: lfc jon
Subject: CD Audio
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:35am
Does anyone think CD will make a come back of sorts like vinyl has? I have been reading online and this bloke was saying that CDs (sales) will still be around in 30 years time, his main reasoning for this was that people still like collecting music and like being able to hold it in their hands and seeing their collection of albums just like vinyl records and also the sound quality is still vary good compared to a lot of downloads and streaming sites. What I think he was saying was that looking at your music collection on a screen was not the same as seeing in a rack. I know I like showing my music collection and being able to hold it in my hands. Most of us on this forum play and collect vinyl but to me it's not the same as a CD collection vinyl as something about it. I have more CDs than vinyl so I still have a need for a CD player, plus I have a lot of CDs that I just can't get on vinyl and looking on streaming sites they are not on them as well. I don't hold fully by his reasoning but I do think he has a point. I'm also not sure about CDs sales being about in 30 years time. But saying that they did say vinyl was a dead format and that has made a big come back so you never know? I'M JUST NOT SURE it'll be the same for CDs

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Replies:
Posted By: Sylvain
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:50pm
For what it is worth ......CD Redbook only allows 16 bit at 48 frequency and MP3 audio standard has  improved to reach almost CD sonic quality. CD was initially designed as a storage medium and Philips one bit player was bought for it's convenience and clean sound but the sonic limitation wore off ten years later and needed new Clock, new Power supply,  now DAC as a seperate component to get it's best. The laser disc reader and decoder system along with the tray drawer or other has changed and Philips mechanism is no longer manufactured. Current CD Players are for people who have a large collection but my view save your money ......New generation Players are on their way but Not as we have known it...I believe an Upgraded CD as the DVDAudio format in misfortune to take advantage of the new higher resolution is being debated 

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:36pm
You make good points about owning a physical product, albeit with small artwork. I have stored my CD collection away after ripping it in a lossless format. I have a CD player but very rarely use it. I still buy CD's but almost always rip them and listen to them on my Squeezebox Server and Touch, connected to my Majestic DAC. The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them but they are not the same as the 12 inch artwork of an LP!

Like Sylvain I think digital encoding playback has come on a long way in recent years so most compressed formats sound reasonable. They aren't lossless (I think of Pete Waterman's sliced bread metaphor about digitising music, the loaf is shorter because of the crumbs on the floor) but A lot of produced music is quite in your face so perhaps there is less to lose? I can remember some rough sounding CD players (and productions) in the 1980's. I stuck with vinyl and kept my records but eventually I did buy a CD player in the 1990's...

Before streamng you had to have physical media or listen to the radio. Most people had stereos, few had hi-fi's, [FF through the rambling...] and compact portable systems are smaller and better sounding nowadays, if used correctly!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them
Your eyes are that good? Mine aren’t.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:46pm
I think some of you are missing the point (sorry) what this man was saying was a format as a physical product something you can see and show off which you don't have when streaming or as a digital file, something you can say this is my music collection and let a friend or someone browse your collection of VINYL or CDs. We here on this forum are all about sound quality that's a given, we would not be here else. I collect books and watch's besides my vinyl and CDs. I do like to look at them and say I own this. I don't have to play, read or wear  them it just gives me pleasure in just looking. I would not get that by looking at a screen.
That's the pleasure (owning) of collecting, if you see what I mean.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:54pm
I don't use a CD player, but I occasionally buy CDs. They get played once in my DVD drive to be ripped as FLAC or WAV using Exact Audio Copy freeware. The CDs then go into storage. I only ever read CD/album sleeves for information such as lyrics where provided or the release date. I'd be no good at music quizzes. I could play CDs when I drive, but that's so seldom that when we do go out, I'd rather talk and be able to hear the engine or insult the satnav if on a rare long journey. 

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them
Your eyes are that good? Mine aren’t.

No they aren't. I'm in my fifties. I read the booklet whilst doing the rip.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I think some of you are missing the point (sorry) what this man was saying was a format as a physical product something you can see and show off which you don't have when streaming or as a digital file, something you can say this is my music collection and let a friend or someone browse your collection of VINYL or CDs. We here on this forum are all about sound quality that's a given, we would not be here else. I collect books and watch's besides my vinyl and CDs. I do like to look at them and say I own this. I don't have to play, read or wear  them it just gives me pleasure in just looking. I would not get that by looking at a screen.
That's the pleasure (owning) of collecting, if you see what I mean.

Sorry Jon I digressed onto banal tech nostalgia. I agree about owning physical media and buy far more CD's than downloads. I ran out of space for my CD's and decided I wanted to give my LP's pride of place so realised I should box the CD's up and keep them safe. I also have a lot of books in my house and in the last year have enjoyed building more bookcases to house them. I recently had an evening of playing numerous guitars and basses... it is nice to have a collection even if we just look at them most of the time. I see your point about having collections.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
Hi All,
   I hope cd is around for a long time yet. My collection is around 1,000, but I’m starting to rip them to a server. We’re moving house in two weeks and the new listening space doesn’t really have enough room for the rack that stores them. However, I too will leave my LP collection on display in pride of place. 
Buying server/streamer that rips cd has shown me that 16/44.1 can sound terrific if the transport is a good one.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:01pm
I also buy CDs for ripping, as they are often the highest quality source of the music I like. I would just download everything if all the music I like had high quality download links available. I refuse to buy mp3 or compressed formats.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:34pm
[QUOTE=Fatmangolf]I'm in my fifties.

[/QUOTE
Lucky you!Smile

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:56pm
Post removed by forum 'good-natured banter cleaner'

(author's details kept for maximum embarrassment)

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:21am
Hi Ash and Mick
I have a lot trouble with computers not down loading music but transferring it to my music player don't know why I just do. I could rip my CDs to a hard drive but I don't have the means to do so, I do know how to do it and what I need to do it but again it's the transferring I have trouble with. I know the main reason for me buying a portable music player was that a lot of cars now don't have CD players so I thought I would get in early and learn how to do it but that has not worked out good for me. By the way my car has the means to play both and in the past I have bought new music both on CD and vinyl of the same album (now I know what you lot are going to say) but it's just easier for me.
I just enjoy looking at all my collections
 I AM JUST OLD FASHION and I know that.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:15am
Playing CDs is fine. I only tend to rip them so I don't hear a spinning disc in the background during playback and more importantly, to preserve the CD's physical condition as an archive. Some of my CD or albums have cost between £30 and £200 each as rarity is so high.

Once my transport and knowledge of ripping software are better, I would like to digitise my entire collection and create multiple back ups.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:03am
Ash
I don't have many rarity items well I don't think so anyway the only one I do have that I know about is by BLONDIE and it took me a few years to find a copy but it was one to (nearly) complete my BLONDIE collection. I'm not one to collect rare vinyl or CDs I just buy what I like, and didn't get any of blondie greatest hits has I didn't see the point as it was just repeating tracks I already have, the album was Essential Blondie-Picture This Live- limited edition 1998 copy and it only came out on CD (I do like live recordings) I'm lucky that my CD player is not a noisy one so I don't have a problem with hearing it in the background. I do see your point in you ripping your collection to preserve the physical condition and it's something I should probably do myself. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:39am
Ripping has overtaken CD so much that it isn't worth making high fidelity CD players anymore.

This is leading us to a similar WIGIG conclusion as vinyl, except there were enough old vinyl engineers still alive to resuscitate vinyl.

It wasn't too difficult, provided somebody could make the pickup cartridges, make the tonearms and construct a turntable. Not forgetting cutting lathes, the wax mix and its press, the electro-less chemical silvering process and the high-build electro-plating process, the "recipe" for the plastic, the press itself, the packaging, its printing, then the distribution network. Difficult enough!

Compare the above with making all the intricate parts and the laser and the microchips from Taiwan. CD is so reliant on modern technology and the considerably more significant investment in CD and player manufacture that it might suffer its own extinction event - final - gone!

Ripping will have been to blame. But then take it to the logical conclusion that high fidelity sound reproduction is a minority pastime (yes it is!), then software might "evolve" to the lowest common denominator - MP3!

We are seeing it happen! A computer with a proper sound card? Question to Ash: did we not discuss this?

The truth, however, is that CD is so technically superior to vinyl, you'd think the human race would want to keep it. Common or garden vinyl (which describes 99% of my favourite records) is the equivalent of 12 bit, yet CD is 16 bit. The "virtue signalling" bat-eared can hear deeper into absolutely nothing and insist on 20 bit (plus 4 bits of non-audio information making 24 bit).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with CD! The technology is fine. The way it's been used to pay back the millions in investment has been to blame - the loudness wars - the remasters. And then, the marketing of hi-fi CD players - the mucking about bending the sound quality to differentiate between brands - a cut-throat business if ever I've seen one.

The artisan never had a place in compact disc. It might have looked that way, but having worked on the inside, all the transports were rebadged Philips, leaving very little to work with.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:42pm
File-based audio is where I am going. But having some physical media like CD as a backup archive is important to me as I never want to lose the material. I also prefer to pay for ownership rather than pay for mere access rights as with DRM-controlled downloads, which could be taken away whenever the provider wants. I would love if there were somewhere where high quality vinyl rips could be obtained too, as vinyl is so expensive and time/space consuming.

Graham, we spoke about transports but I still have more to learn about ripping. Until I am confident that ripped files I produce are exactly what's on the disc, I will hold on to my CDs for dear life. I have both USB and SATA disc drives so I can connect them to any type of computer.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm
Graham 
I liked your post as always very interesting and you put some valid points across. the one I do have a big problem with is the loudness wars. In that I have a lot of CDs that when I go to play them after playing the one before it it's as if the volume has been turned down. the remastering can be a problem too and sometimes it's not as good as the vinyl or even the CD copy it's supposed to have been made better of ( I could not think of a better way saying it) I do like playing CDs, Has I have said some I just can't get on vinyl or as a download and as for streaming no chance, Ash made a good point against streaming as you don't own that music and it can be taking away at any time this is not something they can do if you own the physical copy. I do remember some time ago of a mother that had lost her son and his music collection was all from it--es and was told that the music he had was not his and that she had no rights too (can't remember the out come of that) but if he had the CD or vinyl it would have been hers to do what she wanted to do with it

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:49pm
I like streaming services like Youtube for finding new music but I like to add high quality CD or download to my collection eventually and have it locally stored so I'm not reliant on the internet for access.

It is like a lot of video games nowadays; it is nearly all DLC (downloadable content) rather than disc media so often you are paying for access rights rather than ownership of the content. Subscription services are just the same. People can pay a lot of money into such services but once support for the servers reaches end of life and is discontinued, the consumer is left with access rights to something that no longer allows access... I'm personally not interested in the convenience sell-out.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 4:34pm
Ash
Me too I like Youtube for finding new music but a good record shop is even better (when they can open) plus I can meet other people with the same interest in music, but NOT always the same kind but still it's good to get out and talk and meet new people. I would like to get more into computer audio but I don't have the funds and what money I do have I feel is better spent on improving my system and as I've said I am not good with computers (which is a BIG problem) plus I do think that buying new music is the best way of improving what I have AND appreciate what I have too.
I have just put an order in for some CuSat50 cables to connect the CD player to my amp I'm in the process of replacing my cables to all Graham Slee when fund are available after this it will be back to appreciating what I have, as further improvements will mean spending A lot more money and I mean ££££

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 4:56pm
That reminds me, I have a couple of pairs of Slee cables that are surplus to requirements. They are:

1.5m Lautus phono-XLR (used between Bitzie and Proprius)
0.6m CuSat50 phono-phono (used between Majestic and Solo)

Dual-mono single-ended. From a clean environment and hardly used.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:35pm

Ash made a good point against streaming as you don't own that music and it can be taking away at any time this is not something they can do if you own the physical copy. I do remember some time ago of a mother that had lost her son and his music collection was all from it--es and was told that the music he had was not his and that she had no rights too (can't remember the out come of that) but if he had the CD or vinyl it would have been hers to do what she wanted to do with it

You only need to take a good long look at Silicon Valley. One Baby Boomer supports his own "ethic" calling it charitable donations, but it saves him millions of tax dollars. I'd call it corruption but he's got Attenborough as a friend...

Best shut up now!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:21pm
Alphabet (Google and Youtube), Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft collectively control the world now.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
Hi all
I still collect DVDs and Blu-ray discs plus I still have my VHS collection I don't have anything to play them on but I still keep them, they are mainly of Liverpool.F.C I just not got round to converting them. I know I can't get them any where as they were made for the supporters club they run and only given to us club members. One day I'll get round to converting them one day.
I told you I was old school.

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:41pm
In order for CD to "come back" it has to be almost dead and we haven't quite reached that point...yet. However, CDs and physical media in general are long gone from the mainstream where streaming is the only real concern anymore.

CD sticks around as a niche format and the pressings are far smaller now than they used to be. One indie label I know of used to move between 5,000-15,000 copies per title in the 90s if it was a "good" selling album for them. Now they do CD pressings of 200-300 copies for the die hards and 60% of their revenue comes from Bandcamp digital downloads. That's from the horse's mouth.

I still play the physical discs because I prefer to do things that way, but not for any rational reason. It's just easier for me as I do not have a NAS set up yet and get enjoyment out of playing one album at a time in my single tray CD player.

Even if I were going to a full NAS system, I'm not planning to get rid of my physical discs. Learned the hard way before that it was a bad idea, and I do like having the album art and all that. I have over 4,000 CDs and many of them are in Jazzloft style sleeves (converts them to mini-LPs) which preserve all of the art (front AND back) but save a ton of space and the discs don't get damaged.

I still buy CDs on a regular basis also, because typically I'm searching for a particular edition or mastering. Also, not all things are easily available as legit digital downloads, especially if your tastes veer outside the mainstream/top 40 stuff.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:50pm
Hi David
I'm old school and proud of it.
As I have said a lot I'm not good with computers all this sound cards, NAS drives, DACs and other things you need to play music  to get the best out of it, I've been reading a post on here about it and to me it's a lot of trouble and hassle just to play music, and then am I getting the best sound? That post I was reading was also on about the noise coming from the computer and other things to me it seems a big hassle. I've given up reading it because it was getting vary complicated and beyond my understanding. I know one day it will be the norm and the only way but that will be when I'm long gone. I know young people that are or getting into the old ways of playing music because they like the sound and as you have said the ART work that comes with the vinyl, CDs. So may be the young people will keep it going.
One other thing is the expense of going down that route I just not got the funds to get any where near the sound quality I'm getting now from my Vinyl and CDs

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm

Hi David
I'm old school and proud of it.
As I have said a lot I'm not good with computers all this sound cards, NAS drives, DACs and other things you need to play music  to get the best out of it, I've been reading a post on here about it and to me it's a lot of trouble and hassle just to play music, and then am I getting the best sound? That post I was reading was also on about the noise coming from the computer and other things to me it seems a big hassle. I've given up reading it because it was getting vary complicated and beyond my understanding. I know one day it will be the norm and the only way but that will be when I'm long gone. I know young people that are or getting into the old ways of playing music because they like the sound and as you have said the ART work that comes with the vinyl, CDs. So may be the young people will keep it going.
One other thing is the expense of going down that route I just not got the funds to get any where near the sound quality I'm getting now from my Vinyl and CDs

The simplest way I know of playing digital audio files is through a computer hooked up to a USB DAC running Foobar2000. Drag and drop and hit play but it's not necessarily intuitive for everyone.

Even a friend of mine that is involved in music production and has a day job of working on computers, building out networks, removing ransomware, recovering data, etc. prefers to listen to physical CDs and vinyl LPs rather than digital files.

He does this because he likes artwork and physical product and doesn't want to think about his day job when he is relaxing during off-time and listening to music.

I will get my own NAS system up and running eventually but it's on the backburner as far as priorities go. For now I am working on getting my CD collection ripped which is taking a LONG time though I have things down for how I want to do it at this point. Everything goes to a desktop docking station with two 6TB drives which will eventually be moved to a NAS. I have cloud emergency backup and a clone drive, plus the hard copies to protect me from losing all my data.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:33pm
I too know someone that works in IT and he said when at home relaxing the last thing he needs is a computer in the way, his music is all CD. to me it seems that computers are just a tool to him, I can see his point. And he has invested a lot in his HiFi and home cinema and like me it's like one big restart to go computer music and a lot of money and like he said computers are not relaxing to him and just wants to forget about work

-------------

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:06am
I also work in tech and have the opposite viewpoint. The last thing I want to do in an evening is traipse to the dark end of the room and fumble through 1200 CDs to try to find the one I want, especially when it is - as usual - misfiled! Ripped to my NAS and played back on the PI by simply choosing from a menu of my entire collection is perfect for me. 

For discovering new music, Tidal and Qobuz and in extremis Spotify (more extensive catalogue, poor SQ). If I like something enough to need a guarantee that the streamers will never be able to take it away from me at a moment's notice, I'll buy the physical CD or Flacs and rip or download accordingly.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:46am
CD can sound superb & is a bargain especially considering that generally they cost no more now than when introduced nearly 40 years ago.
It remains to be seen how much further sales fall & whether there'll be a subsequent 'revival'.
I hope it lasts for a long time.
For convenience alone I generally rip to PC & play with JRiver as my collection is also badly organised ...

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

CD can sound superb & is a bargain especially considering that generally they cost no more now than when introduced nearly 40 years ago.

YES YES YES!!! Couldn’t agree more. 
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

I also work in tech and have the opposite viewpoint. The last thing I want to do in an evening is traipse to the dark end of the room and fumble through 1200 CDs to try to find the one I want, especially when it is - as usual - misfiled! Ripped to my NAS and played back on the PI by simply choosing from a menu of my entire collection is perfect for me. 

For discovering new music, Tidal and Qobuz and in extremis Spotify (more extensive catalogue, poor SQ). If I like something enough to need a guarantee that the streamers will never be able to take it away from me at a moment's notice, I'll buy the physical CD or Flacs and rip or download accordingly.

All of this, precisely! I use a different ripping and playback, but the method is 100%. I’ve come to the conclusion that, dollar for dollar, a streamer outperforms a CD player. We live in a golden age of music reproduction. Sitting hear listening to anything I fancy from a streamer and DAC into a Solo ULDE and Focal Utopia headphones. Bloody hell. This ain’t my dad’s hifi.
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 6:55pm
Mick, considering your enthusiasm for digital audio, I'm amazed you could bring yourself to part with the Majestic DAC. It is an incredible partner for the Proprius.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:11pm
I can see the point of ripping CDs to a NAS drive or just a computer I really can but the hole point for me is being able to see my collections ie my vinyl or CDs and yes I do do downloads after buying the vinyl copy if it comes with a free download but that is not always the case, I then load it to my portable music player so that I can play the album in the car. I do think that both physical and digital files will run side by side for a vary long time, there is pros for both as there are cons. One con for the physical side is storage and having the space for a big collection.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:13am
Hi Ash,
   My digital is headphones only and away from my speaker system, which is the Accession MC directly driving the Proprius. Also a terrific pair!
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:24pm
Mick
What are you using for your digital system?
I use Audiolab 8300cd player, I find it a bit on the bright side for my headphone listening but not so much with my speakers so I have ordered CuSat50 cables to sort this issue out, I am using Lautus cables from my Amp to the Solo but I got these to improve the Bass which they did do and they also helped to  smooth the treble out a bit too but at mid to high volume it still is a bit harsh mainly with headphones listening. With vinyl it is a bit better but not great, But I put this down to the cart Ortofon 2M bronze I'm using but I don't want to replace it as over all I'm happy with it.
I do tend to listen more to CDs at night but that is more to do with me falling to sleep while listening, We all know that wouldn't be good for the cart it left for hrs on end playing at the end of a album side.
To me CDs still have a place in audio and I think they will be around for a long time yet

-------------

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

It remains to be seen how much further sales fall & whether there'll be a subsequent 'revival'.
I hope it lasts for a long time.
For convenience alone I generally rip

I'm with you there, Rich, I wonder if the charm of streaming from the internet will wear off for some and help to fuel sales of physical media in the way that some have returned to vinyl from CD?

I buy new music on LP if I can, and if it comes with a CD, all the better. If it has a download code, that's good, either the CD or the download ends up on my streamer very quickly. If no LP, I'll buy a CD, and of course I pick up both second-hand in charity shops when they're open. My CD collection is ripped to flac, and I do tend to listen via the streamer for convenience when doing something else and not just sitting listening. But for me streaming is an added layer of flexibility, not 'instead of' anything. The CDs are still in use in a second (CD and radio only) system upstairs, and so the booklets etc are available, and some of the digital files also end up on a portable player for when I'm gardening or doing maintenance.

I also buy a few downloads, provided flac files are available (or wav from which I can make them). I won't pay for mp3s. The downloads I buy are often releases by overseas bands selling their music on Bandcamp, where there is no UK distribution, and the carriage costs can easily equal or exceed the cost of an LP.

I don't stream from the internet, but if I were to be reliant on it, the thing which would concern me most would be continued availability, or rather lack of. Has anyone considered what would effectively be censorship, if streaming sites felt obliged to remove artists' work as a result of lobbying by the latest crop of cancel-culturist zealots? I don't know if anyone actually has ever been quietly removed from a streaming site, but I heard a tediously 'improving' discussion on BBC R3 last week, around whether or not we should be listening to the recordings of James Levine.

Like Jon, who began this thread (and others), I like to own my music.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
Hi Graham
We all know streaming sites can remove bands or tracks from their site at will but what you said about censorship was interesting. you could have one label saying your not having our music if you play music from one of our rivals and because the are big with a lot of big names that site may feel like giving into them because they couldn't afford to lose them, that's just one case I can think of at the moment there are probably a LOT more

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm
Hey Jon
   My digital set up is Zen Mk3 playing from locally stored files, CD rips and streaming from Tidal, into a DAC and onto the Solo ULDE which drives Focal headphones. Many hours of joy at the times I can’t spin vinyl.
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:35pm
Mick
Nice system, Does it play CDs or is it just to rip them to it. I see it plays Internet Radio, this is something I have not really looked into, is it any good?I wouldn't know where to start, could I do it on just a computer. I remember reading about it but that was a long time ago and back then I had a DAB radio in my system and thought that internet radio was a hassle, you don't hear about it much but is that  because there is no demand for it I really don't know. I would of thought if the demand was there a lot more HiFi brands would be doing it

-------------

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:55pm

Hi Graham
We all know streaming sites can remove bands or tracks from their site at will but what you said about censorship was interesting. you could have one label saying your not having our music if you play music from one of our rivals and because the are big with a lot of big names that site may feel like giving into them because they couldn't afford to lose them, that's just one case I can think of at the moment there are probably a LOT more

Absolutely, another good point there, Jon.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Posted By: Bags
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 8:03pm
CD still has plenty going for it.  

Good condition 2nd hand vinyl is becoming more difficult to find and there's a lot of music which has never made it onto vinyl.

If you want physical media then CD is a whole lot easier to find.

Having bought CDs and ripped them for a number of years I recently bought a CD player to play the physical media.

For someone of my age there's just something about having the physical media.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:08am
Ok please allow me another take.....

There are CD's and Cd's ......billions @4 for £1...at many charity shop....but few of ' re-mastered' 20bit and few of 'Original recording'. The ' sound' can be ' night and day'.

Then there are CD players ....to extract the 16 bit .....I have opted to a dedicated Transport and 'Philips Mech Top loader'. It is also ' night and day ''' to a front light plastic tray with a plastic ex computer drive.

But had a 32 bit Digital to Analogue Converter .....that can re process the sound, up-scale and reconfigure the missing '' bit's'' and mine allows you 11 different tone .....from ''natural''   '' acoustic'' or another other you fancy even changing the very aura of the original recording.

Then Vinyl allowed HMC do resurrect from death with £20 a go .....digital Vinyl plastic .....the 24 bit digital Recording is pressed to a Vinyl via a digital lathe ......take your pick ..CD for £.25 pence in aplastic box or CD quality in £20. cardboard envelope with a photo and RIAA equalisation added to give a Vinyl as we used to know, Flavour.

Money money money it is the rich man world ...ha ha ha aha ....ABBA on CD or ......Money money money without the rich world men world @£20 HMV. Vinyl.

Posted By: gwebster
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:36am

Mick
... and thought that internet radio was a hassle, you don't hear about it much but is that  because there is no demand for it I really don't know. I would of thought if the demand was there a lot more HiFi brands would be doing it
Both L*nn and Naim have their own internet radio channels. There may be more (I haven't really looked too hard). Where I live, FM and DAB reception isn't too good and having Internet radio available via my Raspberry Pi / Volumio / Bitzie (one of Ash's old ones) is really useful. This is straying off the original topic somewhat but what's new eh

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:13am
I will always favour computer audio over alternative solutions because of one thing: emulation

You can make a computer do whatever you want once you have the know-how. It can be complex or simple. Pure data is formless and doesn't require much effort for preservation.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
I've just had a look at Radio 6 Music internet radio as received on my Raspberry Pi / Volumio setup and it says 128Kbps. That doesn't necessarily mean  that the source they play from is at that resolution though.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by gwebster gwebster wrote:

I've just had a look at Radio 6 Music internet radio as received on my Raspberry Pi / Volumio setup and it says 128Kbps. That doesn't necessarily mean  that the source they play from is at that resolution though.
Interesting one - Classic FM Internet radio comes up as 128Kbps. Its station title shows as Classic FMMP3!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 1:05pm

Mick
Nice system, Does it play CDs or is it just to rip them to it. I see it plays Internet Radio, this is something I have not really looked into, is it any good?I wouldn't know where to start, could I do it on just a computer. I remember reading about it but that was a long time ago and back then I had a DAB radio in my system and thought that internet radio was a hassle, you don't hear about it much but is that  because there is no demand for it I really don't know. I would of thought if the demand was there a lot more HiFi brands would be doing it

Hey Jon
   Only plays back after ripping. Each CD takes three to five minutes to rip. Playback is better than any CD transport I’ve owned. As for radio, I haven’t gone there yet, but I will. All of the stations I regularly use are available. 
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 1:07pm
Remote streaming is a nice option to have and is great for finding new music. I do prefer local streaming for sound quality though. Saying that though, some FM radio stations transmit with really clear and musical quality.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:26pm
Hi all
 We seemed to have veered off CD audio a bit, I was asking if CDs would be around in 30 years time but I do think what's being said is relevant to the discussion (debate) about CD audio. We all seem to have are favourite ways of playing music and that's good. I'm still not sure if CD will be about in 30 years time unless the RED BOOK thing is scrapped but does that mean we are all going to have to invest new hardware if so I think it would be a non starter unless it's backward compatible, BUT I'M THINKING SACD  the sound was better than CDs but it was not popular for some reason this may be have been down to cost , hardware or availability of SACDs (I'm not sure if it was backward compatible)  or all three. A mate of mine does streaming and said he uses it to find new music and when he finds something he likes he goes out and buys the album or downloads it.   

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
What I was saying in trying to answer your question, was that if CD drives disappear, then they're too specialised for a niche manufacturer to bring back. Ortofon were reliant on an engineer in his 70s to get back into hi-fi record reproduction, and to train Leif, if you get the picture? Then there always was Rega, even if it had to resort to other things. The turntable is relatively easy to manufacture, the arm more difficult. The cartridge very specialised, but not impossible.

CD drives consist of many intricate parts, with plastic mouldings costing £10K - £100K each to tool-up for. Similarly, the metal parts. Who will make the laser assembly?

But I guess DVD will keep going a number of years, and so CDs can at least be ripped, but for 30 years, that's anybody's guess.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
I suspect it'll become the same situation as for audio cassettes now, where almost every new player one can buy has the same cheap basic mechanism. I doubt the manufacturer's motivation for staying in that game is anything other than profit, so the model clearly works.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 9:06am
Not sure about the new interest in cassettes with vinyl the interest never really went away fully there were people that didn't give up on it and also like me did not throw their records away well most of them and there is the sound quality issue with cassettes it never really was as good as vinyl. With cassettes the big thing was portability you could take it any where and play them, in the car or outdoors and you also had the Walkman you didn't have to lug around a big ghetto blaster. The big thing going for cassette was being able to record we all remember the MIX TAPE. I think cassettes is a fad that will not last long. I may be proved wrong BUT!!
I know you can record onto CDs but you do need a computer were as cassettes it was more plug and record. Does anybody remember the slogan   Tape is killing Music (I think that's how it was said) funny you didn't get that with CD-Rs.

-------------

Posted By: Bluesman 70
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:42am
Good morning just read all the threads very interesting i also like the fiscal handling of CD and Vinyl and think that CD will be around for a long time but unfortunately the young of today do not  prefer fiscal things except phones and tablets  so who knows but a good read thanks guys Graham C

-------------
Avid Ingenium tt /Project Carbon arm/Ortofon 2M Bronze /Naim XS Intergated amp/ Accession mm Phono stage/Enigma pus1/CUsat50 interconnect/ Naim CDX2/ GS Solo Headphone amp Thiel CS 1.6 Coherent Source

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 9:52am
Hi Graham C
The future of music play back seems to be going the non physical side but there are still a lot of young that like collecting Vinyl all be it small in numbers, If you see what I mean. I know one teen that likes collecting vinyl but as no interest in the CD side, I know him as he's dad is a vary good friend of mine and his dad sent him to me for some advice on buying a record player as he didn't have anything to play his vinyl on (I was more than happy to do this) and he thought it was about time he got himself a turntable, He told me when he got it and set it up in his system that he was surprised how good it sounded. this seems to be the way, they like collecting vinyl but don't play them, to me this is a pity and don't see the point as music is for listening too ( there is going to be a lot of unused vinyl in the future) and they don't get the joy of playing vinyl.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

I suspect it'll become the same situation as for audio cassettes now, where almost every new player one can buy has the same cheap basic mechanism. I doubt the manufacturer's motivation for staying in that game is anything other than profit, so the model clearly works.

It's kind of already reached that point. Most CDPs have similar inexpensive mechanisms inside, whether the boombox type, the car/slot type, or the drawer type. Most of these come from a handful of OEMs.

If you take the hood off many CD players, you'll see the same types of mechanisms, though some do cover it with a branded metal plate to disguise this which you'll also have to remove to really look at the mechanism.

There are a few specialized, niche manufacturers making mechanisms but not in any great quantity.

The high end, commercial grade mechanism that Philips made for jukeboxes and such has already been discontinued. There is a stash of NOS that some companies use, but when they're gone they're gone.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:19pm

Not sure about the new interest in cassettes with vinyl the interest never really went away fully there were people that didn't give up on it and also like me did not throw their records away well most of them and there is the sound quality issue with cassettes it never really was as good as vinyl. With cassettes the big thing was portability you could take it any where and play them, in the car or outdoors and you also had the Walkman you didn't have to lug around a big ghetto blaster. The big thing going for cassette was being able to record we all remember the MIX TAPE. I think cassettes is a fad that will not last long. I may be proved wrong BUT!!
I know you can record onto CDs but you do need a computer were as cassettes it was more plug and record. Does anybody remember the slogan   Tape is killing Music (I think that's how it was said) funny you didn't get that with CD-Rs.

There has been a very small scale cassette revival going for about ten years. One of the selling points for small labels and artists is that cassettes are much cheaper to manufacture compared to vinyl or glass mastered CDs. It's possible to get a run of 100 cassettes made with cases and full color artwork for around $300.

Young people into indie music don't really buy CDs for the most part but they will buy cassettes sometimes, even if they don't actually listen to them. These are often sold on sites like Bandcamp and come with a digital download.

The biggest problem with cassettes right now are the low quality of new playback equipment and the fact that only Type 1 tape is available new anymore. I do have some newer cassettes that sound surprisingly good but I'm playing them back on an old JVC tape deck from the 90s.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:49pm
David
I was reading about small labels finding it cheaper to manufacture cassettes, on the internet a few weeks ago. Reading your post reminded me about it. I do know even big bands are  releasing their new albums on cassette but as you said it's finding new playback equipment of quality to play them on. Even if you buy a good quality old one the chances are it will need a good service and probably new belts and that's going to be expensive, That's why I think the revival of cassettes will not last. I can only speak about the UK as most think it will not last here, there is just not as big a market here as there is in the USA. But you are right about the young and CDs, It's the same here in the UK they don't seem to have much interest in them.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:59pm

David
I was reading about small labels finding it cheaper to manufacture cassettes, on the internet a few weeks ago. Reading your post reminded me about it. I do know even big bands are  releasing their new albums on cassette but as you said it's finding new playback equipment of quality to play them on. Even if you buy a good quality old one the chances are it will need a good service and probably new belts and that's going to be expensive, That's why I think the revival of cassettes will not last. I can only speak about the UK as most think it will not last here, there is just not as big a market here as there is in the USA. But you are right about the young and CDs, It's the same here in the UK they don't seem to have much interest in them.

None of the repair shops in my area will work on cassette decks, or if they do, they charge obscene amounts of money for even basic servicing. When my last deck bit the dust, I had to get a friend to ship me a serviced deck from another state where he knows a guy that works on them. If I need any real repair work done, I would have to ship it out.

It will be interesting to see where things are at with tapes in another five years. I think the availability of decent decks has really started to dry up with the only real option being a used unit. 

I didn't know about this until recently, but a younger friend told me that Walkmans have really gotten out of control pricing wise and these are even tougher to find in working order and get repaired vs. a full size deck.

He tried 3 different eBay units that were supposed to be serviced and ready to go and pretty much all of them had problems.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:37pm
There was a program on TV I watched just before Xmas last year and that said the same thing price wise about the walkman, they were going for silly money. They also said about finding quality tapes and that even used tapes were expensive but to find new chrome or metal tapes was vary hard but there was still old new stock out there you just had to look vary hard. I did have a box of 6 not used type 1 tapes that I just throw away thinking that they were worth nothing I now wished I keep hold of them.
I have no interest in getting back into or collecting cassettes because 1 sound quality 2 do not have the funds and 3 finding good play back cassette decks. money and time to me is better spent on my vinyl and CDs play back, collecting and most important listening.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:41pm

money and time to me is better spent on my vinyl and CDs play back, collecting and most important listening.

I think this would be true for most people. The only reason I got back into tapes is because of certain artists that release music on the cassette format and nostalgia. That and I have a friend that has done some cassette releases. Not a practical format for most people though. Tapes only make up a tiny fraction of my collection overall. I have many more CDs and LPs.

-------------

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:24am
I still have my 20 year old Aida ADF 450 sat in it’s box.
I will have to dig it out, and see if it still works. I have no intention of going back down the compact cassette Route though.

CD, Vinyl and streaming are enough for me.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:19pm
Looking on youtube there are a lot of videos on the subject of compact cassette and most seem recent, not had time to look at them yet, but one did interest me it was about a tape player that holds 20 yes 20 cassettes and plays them one after another, This man go's by the name Techmoan. I have seen a lot of his videos and he is very good, not too much tech jargon he's really down to earth and knows what he is talking about, and most of the stuff reviews is on the more affordable side. So on youtube (at lest) there seems to be a lot of interest in cassette. 

-------------

Posted By: jwatson
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:20pm
I'm not sure that I see any need for CDs that aren't related to nostalgia and a desire to have a physical copy. From a contemporary standpoint, using a spinning disk of aluminium to store data doesn't make sense.  When introduced, CDs provided a storage media using the technologies available at the time.  Nearly forty years later, several alternative storage media are available.  I'm not even sure if archival reasons count; I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC around three years ago and found a few that wouldn't rip accurately.  (That's not including the few 'copy-protected from the late 90's - DRM is not unique to downloads).  A close inspection confirmed that the surface was free of scratches but that the aluminium layer was discoloured (possibly oxidised?) in patches.  My current storage policy involves three USB drives stored in different locations (including a fireproof safe).  If this should ever fail, several download sites (e.g. Bandcamp and Bleep) allow you to repeat a download at any time, provided that they're still in business, of course.  

My music purchases for the last three years or so (bar one or two exceotions) have all been downloads.  The DRM issues of old (alluded to by Ash earlier) appear to be a thing of the past;  Bandcamp, HDTracks, Bleep 7Digital & Presto, among others, offer FLAC files unencumbered by DRM, often at a higher quality than red book 16/44.1.  Shipping costs (and lost CDs) are also a thing of the past.

For both ethical and practical reasons, I've not tried streaming.  I prefer that bands that I like to get paid for their work - streaming pays a pittance to smaller bands.  A more fundamental and practical reason is that none of the major streaming platforms covers the Middle East.  I travel a lot for work and don't want to have my listening dictated by Spotify's regional legal standing.

I'd like to see an improvement in the approach to playback software and feel that if the software/hardware could be improved, 'traditional' (i.e. older like me) would be more comfortable with FLAC.  The Holy Grail of software for me would be something that doesn't try to play all forms of media with a single application (no video, radio stations etc.).  I'm also not interested in playlists and don't use FLAC's tagging functionality but prefer to browse by folder (each folder representing a virtual 'shelf' of records/CDs).  I'd also like to see built-in support for the pdf booklets included with many classical releases (and a few Bandcamp releases) - these are easier to read than the books supplied with CDs, thanks to the ability to zoom on a tablet or PC. 

-------------
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:29pm
I see by a lot of posts that there is a dislike for CDs, Now as I have said I prefer to collect the physical side and that is not going to change, But I do see the good points of downloading and streaming. One good point for streaming is finding new music with out buying it and finding you don't like it. Downloads to me have been a bit hit or miss on the quality side of things, Plus some of my music I have found I can't find as a download and that goes for streaming too.
Is there anybody out there that can tell me how MUSIC LIBRARYS store their music, I do think I know the answer to this and it's going to be on vinyl and CDs mainly plus other old formats for stuff that is really old and can't be replaced and to keep the recordings as original as possible, That being said I would think that they would record old stuff to digital so it can be played (but what on?) I may be wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:36pm
Just make sure that your CD collection does not suffer from disc rot.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:53pm
Kevin
Now I have heard about this and have checked some of my CDs for it and could not find any suffering from it, but I will admit to thinking it was a joke as when I first heard about it it was when CD had not long been out and at the time I thought how can they rot if the metal inside is covered plastic, I have also read that this was more to do with CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:57pm
By the way I still think it's a joke but if someone can prove me wrong then so be it.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:07pm
I store all my CDs in a cool ambient room away from direct sunlight and trust my discs as an archive.

-------------

Posted By: bass man
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:52pm
Never liked cd very unreliable unless cared for like a princess
Sound is too clinical and unrealistic
Analogue all the way 
Cassette in my opinion is the best format but love to play vinyl more

-------------
paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:31pm
Disc rot is not a joke, but I don’t think it is very common.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:35pm
https://www.vice.com/en/article/mg9pdv/the-hidden-phenomenon-that-could-ruin-your-old-discs - https://www.vice.com/en/article/mg9pdv/the-hidden-phenomenon-that-could-ruin-your-old-discs

Likely to affect older discs.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:09am
My experience of disc rot is with CDRs. Several years back, I went through a large number of archive amateur recordings on that medium to select tracks to produce a compilation CD for the organisation who owned the archive. 

I used CDParanoia to rip them, which is the Linux library behind many of the available GUIs such as Asunder. This is the Linux equivalent of EAC, but actually better, and is extremely good at "reviving" damaged CDs which have audible artefacts when played in real-time. If the damage is bad it takes advantage of the fact that it does not have to work in real-time and, when it encounters a problem area, goes very slowly and tries again and again to read it, something which a CD or DVD player cannot do because in those cases there is a deadline and failing to meet it would lead to an audio dropout. 

This gives a different twist on the notion of "reference" from an "archive" angle. A CD - especially a degraded one - played on a quasi-real-time CD transport, however expensive that transport is, cannot be "reference", because that transport can't do what a humble cheap laptop CD drive does at the hands of CDParanoia. However, a high-quality rip, stored on a hard drive and backed up, will never degrade in that way, so is arguably closer to "reference". 

Anyway, and somewhat ironically, in my case some discs were so heavily degraded that even CDParanoia gave up trying to read them. For the couple of tracks I wanted to use from those, I re-recorded the SP/DIF stream from a CD player which was - amazingly - able to produce a very good signal from such garbage data!

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:30am
I too am of the opinion that highly expensive CD transports are a waste of time.  They are just a re-packaged computer with less versatility and an elevated price tag because they are in a convenient durable enclosure. A simple desktop computer allows the user to choose all the parts and software at a lower price.

It is cycling's equivalent of thinking that a £10,000 bicycle is better than a £1500 bicycle. Price doesn't mean anything. Luxury is perception.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I too am of the opinion that highly expensive CD transports are a waste of time.  They are just a re-packaged computer with less versatility and an elevated price tag because they are in a convenient durable enclosure. A simple desktop computer allows the user to choose all the parts and software at a lower price.

It is cycling's equivalent of thinking that a £10,000 bicycle is better than a £1500 bicycle. Price doesn't mean anything. Luxury is perception.

So you don’t think that the dedicated circuit to reduce noise is worth it?

Just remember how much this was going to cost with your original PC plan.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:14am
Are the motherboards featured in such transports really "dedicated" (custom) though? Or are they just BIOS/software tweaked for their improvements? I think custom motherboards cost many thousands of pounds for Chinese manufacturers to produce in batches so I am sceptical as to whether even pricey transports/streamers will feature them. Sale volume would have to be high for it to be financially worthwhile and for it to be audibly worthwhile, the designer would have to know their stuff. As for linear power supplies, they're not all equal so if the internal one is okay but not great, you either mod the internals or stick with the stock supply. At least with separates, the user can remove and replace any bits that don't improve the whole. No route is particularly cheap but it's nice to have options that allow easy comparisons.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:39am
Last time I looked, I didn’t have a motherboard in my CD player, but a PCB designed for the specific purpose of a CD player.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:31am
The terminology used may be different but single board computers and motherboards aren't all that dissimilar. It's whatever PCB the central processing unit is on? A computer is anything that processes data to achieve a particular function? Whether it's a mobile phone, desktop PC, SBC, TV, CD player, supermarket till or tiny embedded electronics in a remote location transmitting data for analysis, it's all data handling and processing. All that changes is complexity, power and purpose. I'd imagine it all looks the same to the computer scientist.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:43am
I don’t have expansion slots in my CD player, therefore it is not a motherboard. Wink
motherboard
/ˈmʌðəbɔːd/
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&sxsrf=ALeKk03GS4fSQbP4b9-kFrY5yQM406_ryw:1618137657232&q=how+to+pronounce+motherboard&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOMIfcRoyy3w8sc9YSmTSWtOXmPU4-INKMrPK81LzkwsyczPExLnYglJLcoV4pfi5eLOzS_JSC1Kyk8sSrFiUWJKzeNZxCqTkV-uUJKvUADUlg_Ul6qApAoAVoSwzWEAAAA&pron_lang=en&pron_country=gb&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK1YbCgPbvAhUizYUKHTanCecQ3eEDMAB6BAgHEAc">
Learn to pronounce
noun
COMPUTING
  1. a printed circuit board containing the principal components of a computer or other device, with connectors for other circuit boards to be slotted into.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
I'd not seen the term 'disc rot' before but a quick Google indicates that I'm not the only one to have lost music this way.  In my case it was three CDs out of about 200.  All of the ones that failed were purchased in the 80's from reputable shops and well looked after, spending most of their life in storage in a box under a bed in Yorkshire so had not been subjected to wild temperature variations.  One of them was Pat Metheny's 'American Garage' - I don't recall the other two but ECM is a fairly major label.  None of the discs showed any signs of surface damage.  I now keep my collection on three geographically separate USB drives, no more than two are together at any one time.  I then use rsync to transfer files to sd cards and a SSD for playback on a DAP and home system respectively.  The sheer practicalities of this arrangement outweighs any enjoyment I had in collecting CDs.

I don't dislike CDs, but

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:47pm
To me a CD player is fine and I can always up grade the DAC if or when I wont to improve the sound quality, as I have said to go computer audio I will need to spend money, For one on a CD drive or probably DVD drive (not sure if that's what they are called) to record my music to the computer and then I will need a NAS drive which is more money to spend, now not being good with computers one thing I do know is a NAS drive is the safer way to store my music (if someone can tell me other wise) I don't know why or more to the point how it does this? Now all this money to me is better spent on my HiFi. 
I have looked up this disc rot and now know that it is not a joke, I seem to be lucky so far as none of my CDs have suffered from this and yes I did check some of my older CDs today, It seems that most of this was CDs from the 80s but I could not find out where these CDs were manufacture from or weather it was a general thing

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm
I would quite happily go CD-less as well if I had more know-how in ripping disc audio for archiving. I feel no attachment to physical media really. I have some very expensive albums so I should perhaps think about converting them to files soon and making multiple copies on both HDD and SSD hardware to ensure they are not lost in my lifetime.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
I use EAC, and run the wizard so that I get settings for an accurate rip.
The PC does the rest. Most discs rip fine, but you can have issues with some of the copy protected discs.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:01pm
Ash
I'm the same as you I don't have the know how too.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:23pm
If you're happy with CDs then there is absolutely no reason to change.  I was simply having a problem with the media itself and the space it occupies. 

I used 'whipper' (a Linux alternative to EAC) to rip my CDs - both do the same job.  You definitely do not need an 'audiophile' CD drive for this, I used a reasonably cheap USB drive as reading is usually performed in several passes (*). Once ripped, Whipper/EAC will connect to the the MusicBrainz database and append track information.  The next step is the crucial one; EAC will generate a checksum for each track and compare this against an online database of rips for the same track.  This will report back the number of people who have reported the same checksum so you can be confident you have an accurate rip.

For playback, a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB drive served me well for years.  I live in a small apartment and have no need for a NAS.  I recently upgraded to a SOtM SMS200 but can't say that it's a huge step up in performance over the Pi.

(*) In order to calculate the checksum accurately in a manner that can be compared with others, you will need to 'calibrate' the drive to determine the offset.  This usually involves nothing more than dropping a popular CD into the drive and drinking some tea while EAC rips the disk with various offset values and uses tries to match them with values in the online database.  You will only need to do this once for each CD drive you use.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:10pm
Whilst I have rejected Raspberry Pi boards for music duties, I am looking into x86/x64 single board computers for it instead. Anything that has the option of running Windows, uses a non-ATX power supply and allows hardware access to the PCIe bus.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm
whipper - another one of the many faces of CDParanoia. Smile

rsync - exactly. I do the same. It's perfect for the job of incrementally propagating the rips across backups. One of my backups is on a drive with plentiful unused space so on that sync I have it set to not propagate deletes, giving me a recovery option should stuff be accidentally deleted upstream.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:19pm

I have looked up this disc rot and now know that it is not a joke, I seem to be lucky so far as none of my CDs have suffered from this and yes I did check some of my older CDs today, It seems that most of this was CDs from the 80s but I could not find out where these CDs were manufacture from or weather it was a general thing

Disc rot was not a widespread problem, at least in the grand scheme of things if we are talking about the entire world.

However, it did have a disproportionate effect in the UK, because discs that "bronzed" and "rotted" were specifically manufactured at the PDO UK plant during a specific time period (1988-93). For awhile these were being replaced by the manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc_bronzing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc_bronzing

Here in the U.S., very few PDO UK discs were sold. Most of the discs sold here were/are pressed in the U.S., Mexico, Japan, and other plants in Europe. Out of 4,000+ CDs I have just three or four CDs with disc rot.

I have learned to avoid PDO UK discs from that time frame, for the most part. Note that some of these discs may still be playable for now, but it's only a matter of time before the data on the disc gets corrupted. If you care about the music on them, I'd strongly advice backing them up ASAP with a good ripping program like EAC, dBpoweramp, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
After reading the posts on disc rot I'm now thinking It's time that I think about backing up some of my CDs to my computer, but I don't know what CD writer to get? Any ideas on a not too expensive one, Or is it a case of you get what you pay for. One more thing is the EAC program easy to use, A lot of you seemed to recommend it or is there a better program to use and easier

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
Hans Beekhuyzen offers a general introduction to the subject on you tube. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0GbPNN7v8c - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0GbPNN7v8c

The video also explains the relationship between WAV and FLAC.  (I prefer FLAC)

There are also a few tutorials on EAC itself, such as the following;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLCzfBa2gI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLCzfBa2gI

You don't need anything special for the drive if you're just using it for ripping.  Whatever drive you use, EAC will read chunks of data multiple times until it is satisfied that it is reading the same data.  Comparisons with the accuraterip data base at the end of the run can be used to verify the integrity of the rip.  I used a USB drive costing around 35 GBP and it worked fine. 

I hope the above helps get you started.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm
Allow me a supplementary take.  The fate of CD is evident ....and was announced at the beginning of the 21st century. SACD, DVDA and similar was tested as a replacement for the format.  This forum will save enthusiast much funds to explore the issues as Commercial Hifi magazine are only fanning the flame of the dilemma. New 20 bit recorded CD is good enough as background music and your Neuro cells plays along the missing '' bits'' BUT the emotional content is the missing '' bits''. DAC has also be much improved and upscaling the 20bit accentuate certain mid to bass frequencies and sometimes too much to present a more acoustic flavour. BUT what was NOT there in the music cannot be created in mixing and CD production.

New Release Vinyl and am still in tone queue for my pre Order seek a 'asking price' of £25.00 and up to £40 for 180gm. For that I get a large VINLY with Card envelope and an 'Art work '' or a professional retouched Print/photo.
The RIAA equalisation of the Phono Pre amp tries to create a perception of true accoustic analogue sound but the Vinyl was recording trough a 20bit Recording microphone and Processers and cut to Vinyl with Digital lathe .....and the sound is digital clear, too clear and the Phono pre seeks to inject analogue warmth but for that you need to spend some £400-600 Pre Amp phono.

So we have Digital versus digital or DAC software app adjusting the sound to analogue or RIAA Phono amp.....

I like the natural cardboard envelope, i like to physically place it on the Thorens and adjusting it myself and the whole process adds and makes for better listening....

My hope is for a dedicated new breed of RIAA phono to convert those new recording studio and conversion to Vinyl but it is NOT Analogue produced and certainly you can make believe. BUT i have some Sarah Vaughn 180 gm Chestky true analogue recording and produced  ...AND that caused the difficulty when you return to CD replay ...NOT the same experience and CD has a difficulty with Mech and laser and other Management software. 

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:22pm
Thank You. James
I found both videos informative and I have made a note of the one on how to use EAC. I have 2 laptops so I can watch the video on EAC on one while setting up the other laptop which is good for me as my memory is not all that clever.
As for the CD writer I have looked at one for £35 it's the same brand as the laptop I'm going to set EAC up on and as I'm only going to use it for CD ripping I don't see any point in spending more.
again thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:10pm

Thank You. James
I found both videos informative and I have made a note of the one on how to use EAC. I have 2 laptops so I can watch the video on EAC on one while setting up the other laptop which is good for me as my memory is not all that clever.
As for the CD writer I have looked at one for £35 it's the same brand as the laptop I'm going to set EAC up on and as I'm only going to use it for CD ripping I don't see any point in spending more.
again thanks

I was an EAC user for years but switched to dBpoweramp. The latter program does the same thing but is easier to use and faster. It is not a free program, but considering the time I saved, it was worth every penny to me. And I have thousands of CDs to rip, so time is very important to me in addition to the accuracy of the results.

As far as the drive goes, I recommend not buying an expensive drive. The drive I use is an LG SATA DVD/CDRom drive that costs about $20. That goes into a Vantec Nextstar USB 3.0 SATA enclosure (around $40-50), which allows me to use a full size SATA drive that would normally go in a tower computer, which I don't have.

The enclosure is great because I can just replace the $20 drive when it burns out. IME any drive will eventually burn out from ripping a large amount of CDs.

The last you want to do is burn out an expensive Blu-Ray type drive or proprietary laptop type drive. Learned that the hard way.

As far as the format to rip to, I use FLAC 8. I wouldn't recommend anything else unless you are on a Mac or something and tethered to their ecosystem.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
Will be putting my order in for a CD DVD ROM drive this week, apart from storing my CD collection on the computer I will be putting some of them on my Hi Res portable but where is the best place to store the CDs I rip to my computer, Will any external hard drive do? As I don't wont to keep them just on the computer just in case, as I have had problems in the past and lost all my downloads.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:51pm
External USB SSD or HDD. I would buy a couple and keep the rips on three separate devices.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:56pm

Will be putting my order in for a CD DVD ROM drive this week, apart from storing my CD collection on the computer I will be putting some of them on my Hi Res portable but where is the best place to store the CDs I rip to my computer, Will any external hard drive do? As I don't wont to keep them just on the computer just in case, as I have had problems in the past and lost all my downloads.

What I personally do is store all my CD rips and digital music on a 6TB NAS grade HDD that goes in a docking station. That docking station has room for two drives, so I have two 6TB HDDs. One drive is the actual storage, while the other is simply a clone. Additionally, I have an unlimited emergency cloud backup system if both of the HDDs fail.

My advice would be to never rely on one drive, no matter if it's HDD, SSD, internal, or external. Any drive can and will fail eventually, so having a clone of your drive plus cloud backup is really the best way to go for long term data preservation.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:14pm
That's all good news as I have a external HDD (which I hardly ever use) not that old and cloud storage, Plus the CD DVD ROM drive I'm getting has 1 years free cloud storage so that's keeping my spending down.
Thanks all

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:46pm
Have just put my order in for a Asus SDRW-08D2S-U Lite DVD writer.
I am just WARNING you lot as I may be asking for HELP later.
As some of you may know I'M NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERS

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 10:23pm
That is good news Jon and I found ripping quickly goes from a new confusing thing to a reliable routine. I would endorse the multiple backups approach, I'd hate to lose my music collection or my photos.

Talking of trying new tech I'm trialling Roon at the moment, which others here have probably already got running well. I like reading the wiki lookups and extra metadata on my tablet and am considering phasing out my Squeezebox Touch Heart, although it is still running in parallel for now.

When see all the constructive and helpful advice in this thread it reminds me why I like being in this forum with all of you. Clap

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 10:36pm
Jon
this is something I should of been doing some time ago but never got round to doing it, now I have no excuse (now I've spent the money) this is the push I need. I just hope it goes OK, I can also put some of my music on my Hi-res portable which will be good for when I'm out and about. Can't wait!!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net