Print Page | Close Window

Hello there

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5153
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hello there
Posted By: Trioka1600b
Subject: Hello there
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 6:52pm
Hello all,
I found this site via an email suggestion, obviously in relation to my recent TT research.
We were talking about turntables in work and I decided to venture into the loft and got my dad's old system down.
The amplifier a Trio KA1600 B much to my amazement has been faultless, the Sony TT not so good.
So I got a Pro**** TT.
Very happy with it at present.
However part of me would like to get the Sony up and running again so may well be asking a few questions about that.
Thanking you
Colin

Replies:
Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 7:28pm
Welcome. 

You may need to send the old Sony out for servicing if you can't DIY. Vinyl Engine has a good library of owner's manuals and service manuals. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the reply.
Will register there tomorrow so I can get the manual downloaded.
The amp has two phono stages so I could use both turntables.
I am thinking about getting a Genera kit or the Gram Amp SE.
I like the idea of making one myself, however I assume there will be a performance difference.
Cheers
Colin

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
hello all
While listening to Queen today on vinyl I noticed that I was hearing distortion during some of the faster/busier sections.
I do not get this while listening to slower/less busy  tracks.
I think I have read here that this is described as graining and could be caused by the phono stage of my amp.
Would I be able to reduce this effect using an Era gold phono pre amp.
Or would a stylus upgrade be a better first upgrade, currently on an ortofon 2m red?
Thanking you
Collin

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Trioka1600b Trioka1600b wrote:

hello all
While listening to Queen today on vinyl I noticed that I was hearing distortion during some of the faster/busier sections.
I do not get this while listening to slower/less busy  tracks.
I think I have read here that this is described as graining and could be caused by the phono stage of my amp.
Would I be able to reduce this effect using an Era gold phono pre amp.
Or would a stylus upgrade be a better first upgrade, currently on an ortofon 2m red?
Thanking you
Collin

IMHO the 2M Red is not a very good cartridge. Again, my opinion only but it's one of the worst cartridges I've ever heard. So I think you can do better on that front. 

What phono pre are you using? A G.S. or something else? 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:34pm
thanks for the reply.
The amp is a Trio ka1600 from 1974!
It has two phono stages so might swap things over and see if there is a change.
Only had the turn table a few weeks so don't think the other half would be that pleased at a stylus change (cost wise).
However might get away with a phono stage🤔🤞

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Trioka1600b Trioka1600b wrote:

thanks for the reply.
The amp is a Trio ka1600 from 1974!
It has two phono stages so might swap things over and see if there is a change.
Only had the turn table a few weeks so don't think the other half would be that pleased at a stylus change (cost wise).
However might get away with a phono stage🤔🤞

If the stylus is brand new, you can upgrade when the stylus wears out. 

A G.S. phono stage will be better than whatever is in that amp probably, especially if that amp has never been serviced. There is a good chance components including electrolytic capacitors inside are operating out of spec by now. That usually happens with a lot of old amps from the 70s that haven't been serviced. 

-------------

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:03pm
Welcome

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:53am
Welcome, Colin. It's great that your vintage Trio is still performing and I certainly wouldn't consign it to history, but as patientot has mentioned, after all this time, the capacitors, and maybe other components will have degraded and possibly be in need of replacement. Also, the phono stages in that amp are only a part of it.

Whatever, I'm certain one of the GS phono stages, which will be dedicated to the task, will be much more satisfactory long term. If in doubt, you can try out one of the pre-built ones in your system via the loaner programme. I made the mistake of going for the basic green power supply (cheapskate!) but having upgraded my Revelation M with the PSU-1, I would urge you not to make the same mistake!

(My only experience of Ortofon is by way of an OM20 many years ago, which I thought a bit thin, but I know there are many who like them.)

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:19am
hello all my stylus has now broken in I believe 
So closing in on loaner time I think.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net