Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5138
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sennheiser HD250 linear II - Replacement Pads
Posted By: MDF
Subject: Sennheiser HD250 linear II - Replacement Pads
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:37pm
Has anyone successfully used another model's ear pads for the HD250 linear II. I can't seem to source any from sennheiser spares websites and wondered if other models shared them?

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
@Ash is our resident expert on this IMO. Some years back he sold me a refurbished pair of 250/II's that I was using enjoting less than five minutes ago.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
Over the years, all the Sennheiser spares for the HD250 have gradually been discontinued and are not simple to buy anymore, if available at all. The prices will be higher if private sellers have any. HD250 pads are acoustically sealed and are not simple to cut open and restore. My preference was always for the HD540 Reference II model, as it sounded better overall to my ears and the velvet pads were straightforward to cut open and install handmade foam rings then stitch up if desired.

HD250 and HD540 models use the same earpad outer diameter and identical lockrings so the pads are completely interchangeable. Using thickened 540II velvet pads on the HD250 improves the sound to my ears but you partially lose the acoustic seal so sound can move between inside and outside. Having a semi-open design instead of a closed design would render the headphone unusable for certain applications where sound leakage can't be tolerated.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the advice. There are also replacement pads (not Sennheiser) available at audio sanctuary. My originals are still pretty good ( I always keep them in the box when not in use and they are not my most used pair) but I am thinking of getting a backup pair to be future proof.

Posted By: Delfalex
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by MDF MDF wrote:

There are also replacement pads (not Sennheiser) available at audio sanctuary.

Hi there, I just received a pair of them last week and they were pretty terrible (unfortunately one can't return them after use etc). 

Their profile is different from the originals (shallower), the pleather kind of squeaks when one rubs them and resulting sound I'd imagine bearing similarities to that of using a seashell! Essentially they were really yucky!

So I've ended up hunting down full headphones sets that have earpads in good condition (eg >32mm pleather top - base of fixture ring). It's nearly as difficult as finding the full velour versions pads for the HD540ii's (Ps thanks Ash for your previous advice on that model).

The soft cushioning and slack pleather of the originals do so so much to seal off and deliver their designed sound.

I think the HD520ii use a similar earpad however this is just from looking rather than actually fitting.

Best of luck!

Alex

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:04pm
Most aftermarket earpads for HD250 and HD540 models will lack the qualities of the originals and consequently the optimum sound abilities of the headphone are also lost.

HD540 Reference II was the most futureproof of all the vintage Sennheisers because of the earpads. There was a certain type of 540II earpad that was totally black velvet; it had no pleather backing with the white fabric underneath. The fully velvet were the best due to their ease of stitching up and their higher durability. They also gave a thicker stitched earpad (less foam compression) and one that was all black. They could be carefully cut open around the inner diameter, foam removed, earpad skin turned inside-out to separate from attachment ring then the whole fabric could be washed in warm soapy water or alcoholic gel. I got a very good finish with them. Wonderful headphone for about £200.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 11:19am
Hmm. Maybe not then.

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
I also have a pair of 250 Linear II purchased from Ash a very long time ago. My problem is the cable has developed a fault, and I cannot find a replacement.

If I cannot replace the cable the ‘phones are of no use to me.  The pads are in good condition Wink

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:59am
Must be about 7-8 years ago now. Shocked Time flies.

HD250, HD540 and HD560 models all use the same plug type. Source a model with the same OFC cable if you can. More flexible and physically less microphonic than the earlier steel-litz type. One reason I stopped restoring them was because parts became so difficult to source. Even less incentive to buy vintage Senns from Europe now due to Customs and VAT charges.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:27pm
Hi Ash, yes, it was a long time ago. Thankyou for the info. I have been able to source the cables for my HD250 and HD580s as well as replacement pads for the 580s!

Really thought I might have to bin both pairs, which have been quite adequate for my use to date. I made the mistake of letting my grandsons use the ‘phones and they did not take the care in use that they should have, hence the damaged cables. Still, if I can wrest more use from them now that’s a good thing and saves the cost of sourcing new phones.

Best Regards

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Hi Les,

If you are or you know someone who's a dab hand a soldering then the Mogami 2893 copper cable has been cited by many as an alternative if you have no luck.

Alex

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:50pm
Hi Alex, thankyou but I have managed to find cables for both headphones and new pads for my HD580s.

Both sets are now back up and running and will hopefully last a few more years!

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

..will hopefully last a few more years!

Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net