Print Page | Close Window

Greetings from NE Somerset

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5133
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 7:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greetings from NE Somerset
Posted By: sboraston
Subject: Greetings from NE Somerset
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Greetings.
Took delivery of my 2 month old Solo on Saturday morning so not fully warmed up yet but it seems to be getting better each listen. Trouble is I now desperately need to swap the Cambridge Audio phono stage for a Reflex.
Very impressed so far and I’m hearing things my previous headphone amp hid away (Schiit Vali 2). 
Simon

-------------
P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:19pm
Welcome Simon

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 9:47pm
Thanks for joining us Simon. The Solo is a fine piece of Hifi and will get better the long you leave it powered up if mine is anything to go by. I had a CA 640P which improved after well intended component swaps but the Graham Slee Genera was much better and the Reflex M was like having a new record collection.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:56am
I think I've got a 640p kicking around somewhere as well. 

My rational behind the phono amp is currently buy the reflex with the standard psu then I've room for improvement, my other option would be the Era with Psu1 but then I'll spend my time regretting not getting the Reflex.

I can't justify the Accession...or can I?

-------------
P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:59pm
Yes. Yes you can.

LOL

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm
I agree with Mick, my Accession MC is delightful.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:51pm
Ok, Accession would push back my purchase a month (that would be the justification in my head) but I'd not end up with regrets.

Like my old man used to say "always buy the best you can afford", he said other things but they were a bit rubbish and some also offensive.

Another question, is it worth spending 1k on a MM phono stage (I'm only using an Ortofon 2m blue) or biting the MC bullet?

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by sboraston sboraston wrote:

Ok, Accession would push back my purchase a month (that would be the justification in my head) but I'd not end up with regrets.

Like my old man used to say "always buy the best you can afford", he said other things but they were a bit rubbish and some also offensive.

Another question, is it worth spending 1k on a MM phono stage (I'm only using an Ortofon 2m blue) or biting the MC bullet?

Before jumping into MC, I would try to hear some MC carts in your price range. Maybe you will like them and maybe you won't. 

You'll get all kinds of different opinions, but when I heard some MCs up to $1K I was disappointed. They offered a lot of detail but also had a rising top end I didn't like and had trouble tracking very challenging inner grooves on some difficult records. Not for me. 

I did hear some MC carts in the $3K to $10K range that impressed me more but those weren't without issue (more surface noise to go along with the detail) and they are out of my practical price range. I'm simply not going to spend that much money on a cartridge. 

I should stress though, I have never heard an MC cart with one of Graham's MC phono preamps. I suspect I might prefer it over other MC combos I've heard, and there are also some newer MC carts on the market that look interesting (e.g. the OC9XML from AT). 

However, I think in general I prefer to stick with MM/MI carts. Maybe one day I'll get around to trying MC with one of the GS MC phono stages, but too many other things are a priority at the moment. 

Another thing to keep in mind is your turntable and the environment around it. There are folks that have had issues with LOMC carts and carbon fiber tonearms, and sources of nearby interference like mobile phone networks and so on. Graham has written about this before. 

I wish I had an easy answer for you but I don't. 

My 2 cents. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:42pm
"My 2 cents." ... worth 1,000,000 and much more

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Posted By: Audio Realist
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:49pm
Personally, I'd delay the purchase and go for the Accession M. 
That's what I did after using the loaner facility which 'sold me' on the Accession M / Enigma combo.

I'd already ditched my well worn L*nn MC for a MM ... Ortofone 2M black. 

Your 2M blue also gives possibilty of future upgrade to Bronze or Black.

From experience I think that a top of range MM is better than a bottom of range MC. 
I don't doubt that a MC costing a couple of grand would be the best but in reality can it be justified
Others will no doubt have different thoughts.

Good luck with your deliberations!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:20pm
All good points and much appreciated.

Current thinking is stay with the MM, buy the Reflex M and then I've lots of room for bite size improvements albeit roughly £200 a bite ie PSU1 x 2, ULDE upgrade, cart etc. 

Of course and then it all starts again.

If Coventry score against Reading in the second half I'll order one tonight, if they don't I'll still order one but maybe tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm
Audio Realist
I agree with you on this one, Plus with his turntable as you said, Can it be justified, would he be getting the best out of a MC cart costing best part of a grand IMO NO. On my turntable I have the 2M Bronze and that is as far as I would go cost wise. After that a turntable replacement would be my best option 

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:52pm
Update: Coventry didn't score but they did hit the post so I pulled the trigger and have just ordered a Reflex M from here.

Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
thee old feel good factor A.
You wont regret It. And you still funds for future up grades. IMO you are going the best way about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:29pm
Fine choice, the Reflex M is very good and will do your MM cartridge and turntable justice.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm
Update:
So the Reflex M (and psu1) arrived today and I’ve plumbed it in. With no run in it’s still singing, the next few days are going to be fun. Ordered direct and received fantastic service from John, thanks.

-------------

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
welcome Simon! Nice to have another Slee fan in the area, though I’m slightly confused as to your actual location 😉

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:50pm
hello Les
It’s south of Bath, southern enough I can afford to live. Norton Radstock area.
Simon

-------------

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:40pm
Once had an hilarious exchange with a Yellow Pages sales girl, who sounded just like my sister who used to do the same job. This girl tried to convince me she came from Baf but I didn’t believe her. Turned out she came from Midsomer Norton but thought no-pne had ever heard of the place! LOLLOLLOL

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:51pm
it’s easier to say Bath than an ex mining town just north of Shepton Mallet.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net