Print Page | Close Window

Phono Stage

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5118
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Phono Stage
Posted By: Bluesman 70
Subject: Phono Stage
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:56pm
Hi am a new member and never used a Forem before so hear it goes .I am after info as to how would a GS Reflex M or Accesion Phono stage fit into a Naim system my System is Avid Ingenium tt /Project Carbon arm/Ortofon 2M Bronze /Naim XS Intergated amp Stageline N Phono stage/Naim CDX2/ GS Solo Headphone amp (so know that GS products are good )Thiel CS 1.6 Coherent Source Speakers Cables a mix of Russ Andrews and Atlas Can anyone help please and how does the Loan system work .All so how good are GS Interconnect cables. Thanks GrahamEmbarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:38pm
Hi Graham WELCOME
Are you asking how to connect the phono amp to your Naim amp if so can you be more pacific ( Exact) on which amp you have please. As for GS interconnects they are Vary good from what I have read about them on this forum and others, I just wish I had the budget for them.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
Hi lfc Jon Just read my post sorry it was not clear i want to upgrade from my Stageline Phono and was wondering if either of the GS amps Reflex M / Accession would be an improvement .Musical likes Jazz 1950/60 Blues /Country /Bluegrass Hope you can give me your advice Please stay safe in these times 

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:55pm
Hi Graham and welcome to the forum.
I'm not familiar with the Stageline phono, but looking at all the available information I would think the the Reflex M would better it, the Accession most certainly will. A particular feature of Graham's phono designs is the apparent reduction in surface noise, pops and clicks. I say apparent because it's really other phonos that exaggerate the surface noise, pops and clicks. Graham has explained the phenomenon quite a few times, one is here:
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/phono-preamp-project_topic745_post5592.html?KW=pops#5592 - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/phono-preamp-project_topic745_post5592.html?KW=pops#5592   
The easiest way to find out whether you think it's better is to use the loan scheme and try at home with your own system. John C currently runs the UK loan scheme, he'll also be able to advise on suitable interconnects for you N**m amplifier. Loan Scheme link: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/uk-loaner-program-back_topic4784.html - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/uk-loaner-program-back_topic4784.html  
Either contact John via Private Message (PM click on the drop down menu arrow just to the right of his name) or perhaps easier, so that you can explain what you want, just phone him on the number found at the bottom of any forum page.
Happy Listening
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
Hi Graham
That's OK I was just checking.
I agree with BackinBlack try the loan scheme. 
As for surface noise, AS I have said before many times THAT was one of the 1st thing I notice when I got my 1st GS phono amp.
which one to go for then, If your budget can stretch to the Accession then that's the one to go for IMO.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:29pm
Welcome. Definitely give the loan program a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the enjoyment you get out of a GS phono preamp. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 12:56pm
Thank you BlackinBlack /IfcJon /Patientot/ for the info i will try and contact John C with regards to the loan scheme .Thanks again will post again soon.  Graham

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
Good morning BackinBlack thanks for the links read the info on GS phono Stages understood some but not a lot . I will contact John C with regards to a loan Accession .Have read a bit on this Forum and think the Accession may be the one .Thanks for your help Stay Safe. Graham Tongue

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 1:45pm
Hi Graham, glad you found it useful. There's a wealth of information within these pages although sometimes it can take a while to find!  I hope someday to replace my Reflex M with the Accession, it really does sound good.
Happy Listening
Ian

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:53am
good morning from a wet Wirral i took the advise from here and got in touch with John C and loaned a Accession mm and a pair of CuSat50 interconnects they arrived yesterday and have been on soak overnight so off i go with a large coffee to see if they are better than my Naim Phonostage thanks for all the info 
Graham

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:19am
Hi Graham,
   I’m sure I’m not the only one looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Best wishes,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
Good morning latest news on listening to my loan Accession MM with GS interconnect i took advise from here and just put on any lp that took my fancy from late 60 to up to date and had fun. There is a good improvement in sound  quality from my Naim Soundstage Phono ,more instrument definition, deeper bass and an improvement it sound stage but i feel something is missing i can not try with my interconnect i use with the Naim phono because it is Din to Din so what interconnect do people on here use i have an older Chord interconnect of which i will try over the weekend also is there much difference between the PSU1 and the Enigma can any one help hope you are all staying safe Graham  

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:37am
Mornin' Graham,
Nice to hear your first impressions of the Accession.
Even though the loan Accession has probably completed initial burn in, it can take a few days of continuous power on to regain optimum performance. Same goes for the CuSats, which are usually regarded as very neutral sounding.

Happy Listening
Ian

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:35pm
Hi Bluesman 70
I agree with BlackinBlack. Keep the Accession on power, Then I would listen to it on Sunday, With my Reflex M when I moved my system I had forgot to connect up  my phono and power it up and it took 3 days before I got back the sound quality that I had before. As for the cables are they new and unused if so they also need time to burn in too but that is done in playing time (hours) When I got my new cables the shop did that for me For free, so may be using your old cables may help you assess the sound quality better.  

-------------

Posted By: Philmack
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:19pm
Good afternoon Graham,

I recently bought the Accession M with PSU-1 and Lautus ICs after loaning the M with a PSU enigma. In my system I cannot tell the difference in performance between the PSUs but I can tell the difference for sure between my Atlas ICs and the Lautus ICs, the Lautus are more detailed and bass is better (deeper). See if you can loan the Lautus ICs you may be surprised as I was.

Phil

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Space 294, Wand+, Hana SH, Slee Accession M, Custom PSE 300B mono blocks, Ascension speakers, Slee Lautus ICs, Atlas Speaker cables.

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:23pm
Hi Graham, 

I would wait a little bit before making any conclusion. As others as said before, the phono need a warm up time. 

Cheers!

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:43am
Good morning all thanks for the info, the it cable is new so i understand they need time to burn in  also have been using my PSU 1 that has been driving my GS Solo for over six months so that  is fine and i never power down my system. Played more vinyl last night and getting better especially early  seventies using the switching on the front. I would be interested to hear what interconnects you all use any more info on Enigma PSU please . Thanks again may be it is just in  my head that i think some thinks missing all have a nice weekend as best you all can and stay safe    Graham

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:22am
Hi Graham,
  You know how with digital audio, the better it gets it seems to get “quieter”? The reduction in noise and glare via better power supplies and cables, better isolation, better files, etc, makes the whole experience more relaxing and engaging, like you’re not fighting to hear the music though the glare? You can listen at lower volumes, hear far more detail and subtlety of colours. 

Well for me, that’s what the Enigma did over the PSU1. Yes, there was an immediate difference but in my system it was subtle. The real advantage came over the longer term satisfaction through extended listening sessions. I could hear more detail with feeling like I had to turn it up, and I started hearing those low level things like the floor of the soundstage and the big acoustic of an orchestral recording. Pop was less shouty, too. 

All the best,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
thanks for your reply's spent more time yesterday listening and it was sounding better  so only time will tell got a few more days before the the Accession and cables go back 
Graham C 

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:41am
Good morning all ,the Accession mm has been returned today as well as Cusat50 interconnect and i have placed an order for both + the enigma power supply so now a 4 week wait but i know it will be worth it . The cable burnt it after about 5 days and  the sound was much improved deeper bass  openness around the drums /cymbal and it was a good even sound stage . Swapping to the Chord interconnect gave much deeper bass but a harshness in voice especially in female and the cymbal sounded very tinny so will be very happy with the Cusat 50  so thats it thanks for all your advice .All stay safe from Graham C

-------------
Avid Ingenium tt /Project Carbon arm/Ortofon 2M Bronze /Naim XS Intergated amp/ Accession mm Phono stage/Enigma pus1/CUsat50 interconnect/ Naim CDX2/ GS Solo Headphone amp Thiel CS 1.6 Coherent Source

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 5:42pm
Thanks Graham, happy listening.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:28am
Good morning from the Wirral my new Accession mm / Enigma 1 psu and CUSAT50 interconnect arrived last Thursday ,and have been on 72 hr burn in.  On Monday gave them some work playing 3 albums just playing not testing the system out and boy what an improvement on the Naim Stageline more depth greater bass, larger overall sound stage,everything more clearer . Can not wait for the proper burn in when i can try my Fav test records .Thanks to John C for the loan and all the help and to all who advised me on this site . All stay safe we could be out of our Music rooms soon Graham C  

-------------
Avid Ingenium tt /Project Carbon arm/Ortofon 2M Bronze /Naim XS Intergated amp/ Accession mm Phono stage/Enigma pus1/CUsat50 interconnect/ Naim CDX2/ GS Solo Headphone amp Thiel CS 1.6 Coherent Source

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 4:49am
Slippery slope from here on in Graham. The Slee abyss has opened, you will fall in!!

All my N##m gear is gone now, replaced with Majestic and Proprius amps, and Lautus and Libran cables.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:49am
Thanks Ernie how far will i fall ? The only saving grace is do not think my pension will let me fall to far thanks for the reply Graham C

-------------

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Bluesman 70 Bluesman 70 wrote:

Thanks Ernie how far will i fall ? The only saving grace is do not think my pension will let me fall to far thanks for the reply Graham C

That’s what I thought! LOL

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net