Print Page | Close Window

Ordered my Accession MM today

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5098
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ordered my Accession MM today
Posted By: Cologne-Tom
Subject: Ordered my Accession MM today
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 5:08pm
I'm proud to anounce that another Accession MM w. PSU 1 Enigma is on it's way to germany to spread his magic in cologne.

I'm using a Gram Amp 2 SE for over 4 years, very satisfied.
But the lockdown-related possibility to spend whole more time to listen to my Hifi-system made me think about to make another step up the ladder. Plus the possibility to go via the variable output directly into the poweramp-section of my integrated and/or into my RME ADI 2 Pro AD-DA converter.

-------------
Thomas

TT: BROBO Berlin 80 A 95/ Jelco SA250 12"/Ort. 2M Black/ GAmp 2 SE/Accuphase E406V/AD/DAC: RME ADI-2 Pro fs

Replies:
Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:55pm
Hi Thomas
I see you are a Ortofon user. I have the 2M Bronze and I'm vary happy with It, how do you find the Black? I don't know much about your turntable, But with Accession and PSU1 Enigma you are going to get the best out of the 2M Black for sure.

Jonathan

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:39pm
I had the bronze needle before too.  Great sounding system, warm and bright sound. But i had some problems espacialliy when the pick-up came to the innergrooves  and sibillants of the records.
After several "recallibrations" and buying a a second needle that brought no improvements ( i think Ortofons has serious problems with QC).
I switched to the black/Shibata needle. That was a good decision. The same tonality but a little more presence and detail in my opinion.
My player is a custom-made Mass(?)-Player made of granite (plinth & platter) from a little Workshop in a small town nearby cologne.

-------------
Thomas

TT: BROBO Berlin 80 A 95/ Jelco SA250 12"/Ort. 2M Black/ GAmp 2 SE/Accuphase E406V/AD/DAC: RME ADI-2 Pro fs

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:00pm
Hi Thomas
I have just remembered you email me on 02/05/20 with some pic's of your turntable. It was the word GRANITE that rang a bell in my brain I have just had a look again (nice) I have had no problems with the bronze. May be I have been lucky or they sorted out the QC issues when I got It, I found it on the bright side but the new speakers have sorted that out and I am vary happy with the sound now
(I can't remember what your post was about it may have been about a phono amp?)

Jonathan

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: pcourtney
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:23am
Hi Thomas (and Jonathan), and any other MM lovers .............

I bought my Accesssion MM in Sept 2016, used it probably once a week, but then Covid happened and I have been playing more vinyl than ever, every day in fact :-)

I am now even buying more records to add to my collection, my humble system has been elevated quite considerably since I bought the Accession 4 years ago, the timeline of what I have in my system is something like this :
Beogram 8002  1983   (lots of MMC carts, and Soundsmith SMMC2) 
AKG K-1000   1990
Red Wine Audio 30.2 amp for the K-1000's  2008
Graham Slee Accession MM   2016 

I have now bought a second Begram 8002, and looking forward to getting a second system setup for our summer home next year :-)

Nothing wrong with MM in my little world !

-------------
GS Accession MM Pre, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amp and AKG K-1000 headphones

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:24am
My Accession arrived early on saturday (12th december) and is already plugged in since 10 o'clock in the morning.
I'm looking forward to give it next saturday a first listen. I'm very excited. Thanks to John C. and the whole HSC-Team for the good service so far.

I'm already listening to my personal "Test-records" for comparsion my 
2 year+ continous burnin' GramAmp 2 SE and the 1 week burned in Accession.

To be continued......

-------------
Thomas

Posted By: nemu
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 7:57am
Hi Thomas!

Congratulations to your Acession MM. I am sure you will have lots of fun with this fine phono amp.

Best Wishes from Bonn
Stephan

-------------
Accession MM (PSU1), Accession MC (Enigma PSU1)

Posted By: vinyljunki
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:32pm
hopefully i will be joining the party myself soon

Had an Era Gold V for ages. Spoke to John C for a loan Accession MM and Enigma PSU today :-)

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:12pm
Winning. 

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: MusiCol
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 11:58am
Hi Mick, and anyone else with an Accession! I’m waiting on an Accession M becoming available in the loaner program and was wondering how you’re getting on with yours please?

Glad to be part of the community and able to take advantage of such a wonderful service: No amount of reviews can equal the value of hearing a component in one’s own system! However it’s always interesting to hear from others with the same component.

UK Colin

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 11:59am
Hi Colin,
  My Accession MC (Enigma) has been in house for some months now and I pretty much ignore it and play records. It’s incredibly consistent and faultless. So it can “do it’s job” properly. It also happens to sound fantastic. 
Buy one. Forget about it. Listen to music.
Mick

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Speculator66
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 9:33pm
Hi Mick

I am impatiently - of course- awaiting the arrival of the MC/Enigma that I ordered recently.

So my question is, how has your burn-in process gone, how quickly did you hear changes as the process continued etc.
I presume that you're leaving it on 24/7 as recommended.

Having had a loan one courtesy of John C I think I know what to expect eventually

Thanks

John

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:59am
Hi
  When I first plugged it in it was fine. But it didn’t have the instrument separation and soundstage it has now, and at the time the bass felt a little “bloomy” and not as well integrated. Now it is. That separation and bass integration, when it arrived, meant a bigger, deeper soundstage and quite a bit more detail - no longer congested or clouded.
All of that was after about two weeks, I think. There were more subtle improvements to come for a few weeks, I felt. Left on 24/7. Now it don’t notice it because it’s crystal clear and beautifully integrated. I dare say it’s what people mean by “it’s invisible” or “transparent”. Like I said above, I just don’t notice it in terms of hearing it’s limits if that makes sense - like you can hear a power amp run of our steam and compress, or a DAC fail to keep separation during busy music. 
Enjoy, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who will appreciate hearing your impressions!
Mick.
PS - after some time running the Accession MC/Enigma directly into the Proprius amps, today I’m inserting a preamp and DAC back in. I’ll report back with any changes I hear to LP replay.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:03am
Thanks Mick

It was the instrument separation and soundstage that I really noticed at once on the loaner MC

I will report on my experience once I receive my MC

John

-------------
Pjct Xtension9 Superpack, Ortofon Quintet Black, Accession MC, Arcam A39, Celestion 66

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm
After 2 months of constant burning in i think my accession m has settled.
In comparsion to my more than 2 years constantly running  GA2se the accession is a real giant step forward. In the first to weeks the sound ist getting incredibly better day by day. By now in direct comparsion the accession has a much blacker background. The noise floor on quiet and clean pressings is almost non existing. The bass is so juicy or dry as it is needed. The soundstage is some bigger and so much brighter. It feels like that my 2m black has an resolution upgrade received. The heights and in special the sibillants are by far smoother and more precise (hi hats and cymbals, a vibraharp, like etched out by a laser). It's such an incredible phonostage. I already loved my old GA2se but the accession with Enigma PSU ist just awesome. When i ran it directly in the poweramp section of my integrated it is such a direct, clear and poweful sound, so great...

Thank you Graham for giving us this magical little box.

-------------
Thomas

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Speculator66 Speculator66 wrote:

Hi Mick

I am impatiently - of course- awaiting the arrival of the MC/Enigma that I ordered recently.

So my question is, how has your burn-in process gone, how quickly did you hear changes as the process continued etc.
I presume that you're leaving it on 24/7 as recommended.

Having had a loan one courtesy of John C I think I know what to expect eventually

Thanks

John

Hey, Ive had a loan MM offering since Weds and I still think its needs time, There are some elements I like and some that seem a bit flat and unnatural compared to my Era Gold V. Im hoping by next weekend it would have had enough mileage for me to make a decision

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:19pm
Not really sure what I am checking for on the cart details, but should i be using 100 on the Accession for a Sumiko Blackbird High Output MC ?

Cheers

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 6:09am
The inductance of a high output MC is much lower than an MM, and therefore capacitive loading has no audible effect, or does it?

It does not affect the audio frequencies; instead, it results in peaking way beyond the audible range, leading to a problem. A stimulus of any kind is all that's required, and in a mechanical system, which vinyl is, there is sufficient "noise" to instigate overshoot.

I have covered the subject in depth during the development of the true MC version, so I will not go into that much detail here.

The capacitive loading is insufficient to tame the peaking, and it becomes a matter of trial and error. Try all and choose the least noisy experience.

Like it is impossible to design a stage that does both low and high output cartridges justice, it might well be impossible to create one stage to cater for every high output cartridge. The low output MC playing field is more level.

The Era Gold might remain your best choice. Time will tell.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:22pm
lol trust me to be difficult :-)

Thanks for the reply and information. So it seems the it "might" be that the Accession MM might not be getting the best of the Sumiko BB HO or vice versa.

What I do seem to be getting so far is a great sound stage, lots and lots of detail that I didn't appreciate before (some serious fret work on double bass for example) and deep bass. Its the mid-range that i feel isnt dialled in just yet plus the attack on the snare doesn't seem to be as great so far

I think I will know by next weekend (10 days of burn in) what the final sound will be like and I can compare to my Era Gold then.

So what I think you are saying is that buying an MM or a LO MC would be a better option with the Accession. It might be better to hold off for a bit for when my BB needs a new stylus, trade it in for a new LO MC and and buy the Accession MC?

Thanks 
Bill

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:03pm
Bill, it is great that you are really hearing the music on your record and joining us in enjoying a new record collection. My experience was that the sound got better and better over the first month. I have only used MM an MI with my Accession M and Revelation/Reflex M. I think you are right about waiting and trying a MM cartridge when you need to change. Or sooner if you want, of course.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

lol trust me to be difficult :-)

Thanks for the reply and information. So it seems the it "might" be that the Accession MM might not be getting the best of the Sumiko BB HO or vice versa.

What I do seem to be getting so far is a great sound stage, lots and lots of detail that I didn't appreciate before (some serious fret work on double bass for example) and deep bass. Its the mid-range that i feel isnt dialled in just yet plus the attack on the snare doesn't seem to be as great so far

I think I will know by next weekend (10 days of burn in) what the final sound will be like and I can compare to my Era Gold then.

So what I think you are saying is that buying an MM or a LO MC would be a better option with the Accession. It might be better to hold off for a bit for when my BB needs a new stylus, trade it in for a new LO MC and and buy the Accession MC?

Thanks 
Bill

You might be able to loan it longer depending on the queue. Ask your coordinator. Better to know.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:37pm
So for Aussie Mick et al.
Today I received and set up my new Accession MC and Enigma PS. They tried to fool me by having the resistor selector switches with On upwards LOL

I gave it a very long burn-in of 4 hours, LOL, before trying it.
I put a pressing of Bizet's  L'Arlésienne Suites  and dropped the needle - well, perhaps not dropped, into the groove and sat back and listened to the lovely detailed output that came forth from the 66's

The soundstage was quite good but not as good as the loaner i'd had (Note Mick's comments here), similarly  instrument separation was very good but it's difficult to say more on this piece perhaps. What was noticeable was just how beautifully reproduced all the woodwind were and I particularly noted how the distance of them from the listener was further than the violins, cellos etc.

The one early question mark for me was those violins which seemed a little shrill on higher notes compared to the lovely smooth woodwind. Still, it was only 4 hours so let's see how it goes from here.

-------------
Pjct Xtension9 Superpack, Ortofon Quintet Black, Accession MC, Arcam A39, Celestion 66

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Speculator66 Speculator66 wrote:

They tried to fool me by having the resistor selector switches with On upwards

Very sorry. The Taiwanese took over ITW-ERG and discontinued the ERG switch which had existed for decades - which I'd decided to use. It's a bit difficult for us Yorkshire lads to compete in the millionaire dominated hi-fi arrogance industry Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Bill, it is great that you are really hearing the music on your record and joining us in enjoying a new record collection. My experience was that the sound got better and better over the first month. I have only used MM an MI with my Accession M and Revelation/Reflex M. I think you are right about waiting and trying a MM cartridge when you need to change. Or sooner if you want, of course.

Knowing now that an HO MC is a bit of an unknown with the Accession MM, im in a bit of a dilemma. Am I truly going to know if both are working at their best together?

I see my options as:

1 - Stick with My Sumiko BB HI MC and EGV knowing that they work in harmony
2 - Opt for an Accession MM never really knowing if the synergy is correct my Sumiko BB HO MC
3 - Opt for an Accession MM never really knowing if the synergy is correct my Sumiko BB HO MC but next time but a very good MM. But what is out there MM wise that competes with a Sumiko BB HI MC?
4 - Wait until my Sumiko BB HO MC gives up the ghost (who knows when that could be) then buy a LO MC. Possibly another Sumiko BB but theres a lot of choice in that price bracket....and then buy an Accession MC

Choices choices but what one to make!!??

Im a week in at the moment. At the weekend I will compare with the EGV to remind me what the yard stick is Thumbs Up

Heres a question, is there any reason why the Enigma PSU1 cant be used with the Era Gold V? Would it benefit? I might even try that whilst I have it 

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:09pm
"Heres a question, is there any reason why the Enigma PSU1 can't be used with the Era Gold V?"
 Answer: No, it can be used to power any of Graham Slee's: phono stages;
     and headphone amps; and the Majestic DAC/ PreAmp... just not all at the same time. 

"Would it benefit?"
 You answered yourself:  "I might even try that whilst I have it." 

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

"Heres a question, is there any reason why the Enigma PSU1 can't be used with the Era Gold V?"
 Answer: No, it can be used to power any of Graham Slee's: phono stages;
     and headphone amps; and the Majestic DAC/ PreAmp... just not all at the same time. 

"Would it benefit?"
 You answered yourself:  "I might even try that whilst I have it." 

lol thank you. Whilst testing on the Accession MM with Enigma vs my EGV  with PSU1 at the weekend, I may just do that. See what hits the sweet spot with HO MC cartridge I use.

Cheers

Posted By: Oblongus
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:28pm
I've noticed a few comments here and elsewhere (they're in the minority, but there's been enough to give me pause for thought) from people who either don't notice a justifiable improvement in the Accession over the Reflex or even prefer what the reflex does.

Nothing strange about that, we all like what we like. I do wonder though whether possibly some other component in their hi-fi meant a difference wasn't appreciable.

So I'd love to hear the thoughts of those who have a preference for the Reflex over the Accession where they know for sure this wasn't the explanation. Do the two have individual 'characters' or 'signatures'?

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Oblongus Oblongus wrote:

Do the two have individual 'characters' or 'signatures'?

Haven't heard the Accession, but since the two units are two different designs and only the Accession has the patented version of RIAA EQ, I would expect them to sound different. 

What one prefers is usually down to the individual. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:33pm
I feel like the MM Accession/Enigma has now benefited from 10 days of being alive. It has to go back in a few days but I pretty much feel that this will be my next stage, however......

My cart is a HOMC. A very good HOMC, but HO all the same. there are a couple of things that are niggling me.

1 as it a HOMC as it really a fit with the Accession MM?
2 Is the  Sumiko BB HO pretty much on par with the LOMC?

https://sumikophonocartridges.com/product/blackbird-high-mc-phono-cartridge/
https://sumikophonocartridges.com/product/blackbird-low-mc-phono-cartridge/

3 Do I wait until in I need a new MC, and then buy a LOMC cart and then buy an Accession?
4 I wonder how the Reflex sounds? Wink

What I do have to say is thank you so much for the Company for the chance to bed the stage into my system for the last two weeks. I doff my cap.....and secondly, yes the Accession is a great stage, however it also shows that the Era Gold V really is still a great stage that should not be ignored at that price.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

...however it also shows that the Era Gold V really is still a great stage that should not be ignored at that price.

Thumbs UpBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:34pm
vinyljunki
I went from the SE2 to the Reflex M and I share the same feeling as you in that I think SE2 should not be ignored too and If I did not have the funds for the Reflex M I would still be happy with the SE2 today. I also took advantage of the loan system and I am now a owner of the Lautus cables. I also like the fact I'm buying British made which is vary hard to do now a days in anything let alone HiFi, As most things are designed here and then made else where because it's cheaper, well if Graham Slee can do it why can't others do it ???.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net