Print Page | Close Window

Seeking advice

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: Buying a headphone amp, phono preamp or hi-fi accessory?
Forum Description: Find what you're looking for here! Links to our websites and more...
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5089
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 11:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Seeking advice
Posted By: panatha
Subject: Seeking advice
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:24am
Hi to all,

I am a new member (from Greece). My current setup is: Rega Brio, Rega Planar 3/Elys 2, Neo TT psu and Schiit Mani. Last year i changed my turntable to Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 and I am looking for a new phono stage to complete my setup (and hopefully forget it for some years). I am quite happy with Schiit Mani (it was a gift from a friend) but I feel that improvements, at reasonable cost, are possible. Any advice / recommendation would be helpful. I've reached this site/forum through the positive reviews I've read.
On top of that, I have a more general question. Should I go for a MM only phono stage and get the best value for my budget or go for a MM/MC to be prepared for any future upgrade plans?
Thank you   

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 12:44pm
Hi Yannis, and welcome to the forum.

I'm a long time user of Graham Slee products - my first Graham Slee phono preamp was the Gram Amp 2SE, assembled on Graham's kitchen table by the man himself.
I no longer have it, but it lives with a friend who also loves what it does.

What is your budget?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
Well, the budget available is 500 €, though I would like to keep it lower but at the same time I want an improvement and not just a change

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:11pm
Hi Yannis Welcome
Not sure what the Euro to the pounds is?
So the ERA Gold V may be in budget but the Gram amp 2 SE is well in your budget, both are vary good.
As you said you will be keeping this set up for some years, So I would say stick with MM only for the best sound at your budget. You have years to save up if you go MC.
Hope this helps you out

Jonathan

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:32pm
CageyH is the European loan coordinator.
Send him a PM and arrange a loan.
Hear the kit in your own system.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:36pm
Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the advice. I feel that I should go for the MM only route, though there is a number of MM/MC products (at the upper end of my budget) with positive reviews (e.g. black cube, moon 110lp v2)
Unfortunately 1 pound is more than 1.15 Euro.
Yes, I will keep this setup for some years (or I'll get divorced Smile) but I'd like to try some other cartridges in the future (MM or HOMC) without changing the phono stage.
Yannis

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
Personally, I would have a look to see if you can get a 2nd hand Reflex M with PSU1, stick with MM for now, and when upgrading to MC then get an Elevator Exp.

The cost of going MC can be eye watering though. One reason I have only dipped a toe in the water at the moment, as with a young child in the house it can be a very expensive hobby. She has been told not to touch my turntable, but she may get inquisitive one day.

With an MM, it is going to be less expensive to fix, and you probably have 80 to 90% of what MC gives an Audiophile. The question is, are you an Audiophile, or music lover? There are some very good MM cartridges available, both new, and second hand recent models, as well as some really good vintage offerings.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Posted By: Blade
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:07pm
Hi Yannis,
I have a similar setup to you Rega Planar 3 (although a little modded now), NEO PSU and a Brio amp. 

I have a Gram Amp2 SE with a PSU1 and have been delighted with it. I am running a AT VM750SH which is way better than the Elys and the Exact I had before. I changed the cartridge first and then the phono next.

I wish I had demo'd the Reflex M before buying the GA but I am not disappointed with the sound quality I now have. 

Glenn

-------------
L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm
Thank you all for your comments.
I know about the loan program but I think that it is rather late given the changes after January 1st 2021.
Kevin, I would describe myself as a music lover. It is an expensive hobby, there are always budget restrictions (especially now with the covid) and this budget should also cover buying records. I agree that there are very good MM cartridges out there and I would be more than fine with them.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by panatha panatha wrote:

I know about the loan program but I think that it is rather late given the changes after January 1st 2021.

The European loaner program distributes the products within Europe, and has no connection with the UK, except for enthusiasm which knows no borders.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by panatha panatha wrote:

The European loaner program distributes the products within Europe, and has no connection with the UK, except for enthusiasm which knows no borders.

Indeed it does. I am based in France, so happy to help now, or after the 1st January. Nothing changes for the European scheme.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:31am
By “late” I mean that I have to make a buying decision soon, to avoid any extra charges. The loan program is an excellent idea but it would be difficult for me to make use of it, given my work schedule until the end of the year.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:50pm
If it ends up being WTO rules, then we take off the UK VAT, and you pay the equivalent at your end.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:13pm
Give the loan program a shot when you have the time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

RE: MM vs. MC, my opinion is that unless you are prepared to spend quite a bit on an MC cartridge and then again when it needs to be retipped, forget MC. Get a good MM cart instead. 

My 2 cents...

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:43pm
I agree with David MC can be very expensive and some good MM carts can be as good as an entry level MC carts and you don't have the expense of re tipping or replacing the cart (but then I know some would not entertain MM) because they say MC carts are superior sound wise

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I agree with David MC can be very expensive and some good MM carts can be as good as an entry level MC carts and you don't have the expense of re tipping or replacing the cart (but then I know some would not entertain MM) because they say MC carts are superior sound wise

Many will disagree of course but I've never heard any "budget" sub-$1K MC that impressed me much. The best MCs I've heard cost thousands of dollars, well beyond what is practical for me. 

The combo of a good MM and a G.S. preamp work very well for me. 

For now, I don't bother with MC and enjoy my records and MM/MI carts. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:34am
I adored my Ortofon 2M Black - Reflex M combo, but it always made me wonder how much better things could get. Accession MC and a Rega Apheta 2 bury it musically and in terms of hifi type assessments. As it should considering the cost. 
However, the fundamental musical correctness of the Slee electronics I think is at the heart of getting the most from either technology
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:26pm
Thank you all for your comments. I guess that the discussion on MM & MC is a never ending one. I become more and more convinced to stick with MM and try to get the best out of it and leave MC for the future (though I doubt it).

Any thought, comments, concerns regarding the following options would be very helpful

-        Gram amp 2 se; 

-        Gram amp 2 se with PSU1

-        Era gold V

-        Reflex M (second hand at about 500, if any)

At an earlier post I’ve said that I would like to keep it lower than 500, but 3 out of the 4 options above are at 500 (and possibly slightly higher)…

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Fair enough. Always better to enjoy what you have!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
I am not going add to the MM v MC debate as I have no experience with MC carts. All I know is it's expensive.
Yannis
I would say stick to your budget and get the Gram amp2 se it is vary good (and see how you get on with it) If you are happy with it then add the PSU1. Or what about this, buy the GA2 se and buy more new music it is what HiFi is for, listening to "music".
Do let us all know what you end up with.
HAPPY LISTENING

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net