Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5066
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Platter mats
Posted By: lfc jon
Subject: Platter mats
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
Just been asked what I would like for Xmas by my MUM she wonts to get it all done early with all the things going on with the virus ( bless her )
I have a leather one by Pro-j, but have been thinking of replacing it but don't know what to go for. there are a lot of them out there and made of all different materials, and claiming they do this that and the other. I got this one I have now for It's anti static and claim that It's good for bright sounding carts. It did what I got It for vary well. any thoughts out there ??

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Replies:
Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:11pm
I like my 5mm Achromat, although I have not tried too many others. 
I believe the 5mm version is being discontinued soon, so I am almost tempted to buy a spare.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:29am
Having used The Origin Live mat on my OL 'table for a few years, I thought I'd give a try to one of the leather Sonic Voice mats that are available through John Cadman. A very worthwhile upgrade at a reasonable price. Maybe try one from their range?

-------------
Derek

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:28am
Also consider the Ringmat Anniversary. Been using one for years on slippy acrylic platter
with good results.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm
Another vote for the Acromat. Although I like to ring the changes - currently on my 301 is the stock rubber mat topped by a thin suede leather one.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
I had an Achromat on my SL1210 and was impressed. I sold it on when I got an Oyaide mat. Also had an Origin Live mat which did a really good job IMO.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:39pm
I was thinking of the Origin Live mat but I will have a look at the other suggest too. It can't be too thick, the one I have now I have had to adjust the lid on my turntable as it was hitting the tonearm weight when closed, I know it's a small thing but it's nice to have every thing covered up when not in use.
By the way my platter is acrylic.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:54am
I used my OL mat on an acrylic platter and it worked well in my opinion.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:40pm
Hi all
My mate let me borrow 4 of his mats to try out, made of cork, cork and rubber, rubber and acrylic. And to my ears I did not hear a lot of difference for the better over my leather one, the acrylic was the best I found. My platter is made of the same so I played a album with out a mat and it was about the same as the acrylic mat sound wise. but I did prefer the sound from my leather mat over all, to me it sounded warmer so I'm going to stay with what I have (the grass is not always greener on the other side) So I am going to have to think of something else for Xmas.
Thanks All for your suggestions

This post is now closed 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net