Print Page | Close Window

The Audio Science Review Forum

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Headphone Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Headphone Amps
Forum Description: Questions, answers and product information zone for Graham Slee Headphone Amplifiers
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4993
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Audio Science Review Forum
Posted By: Guests
Subject: The Audio Science Review Forum
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 8:49pm
Do some of you chaps, browse on the ASR forum? 

Today I placed up a thread, asking if anyone has heard a Graham Slee Headphone Amp.

So far this is the response...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-headphone-amps.14525/#post-447722 - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-headphone-amps.14525/#post-447722

Replies:
Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:50pm
One of the certainties of life - some people will always think they know best, even when they don't. Those who are anti-Slee and put down his products must prefer specs to real results. It was a similar story with the AKG K1000 earspeakers. A forward-thinking product that was mocked and ridiculed over the years when it actually takes a massive dump on the majority of the competition. People let their own arrogance betray them.

As a youtube audiophile says on his videos, the only person that needs to like the sound of your hifi is you.

Posted By: capetownwatches
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:34pm
I felt the need to respond...

-------------
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:25am
Originally posted by southall-1998 southall-1998 wrote:

Do some of you chaps, browse on the ASR forum? 

Today I placed up a thread, asking if anyone has heard a Graham Slee Headphone Amp.

So far this is the response...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-headphone-amps.14525/#post-447722 - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-headphone-amps.14525/#post-447722

That is not a responsible response... the person did not even listen to the unit.
They only read the "not-inflated" specifications.

Every Graham Slee product is tested on an Audio Precision analyzer to meet or exceed the design specifications stated for that product.

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 4:29am
As can be gleaned from the forum name, ASR reduces everything to specifications and measurements. 
It seems the general consensus is that if a gear doesn't measure "well" it cannot sound "good". 

Very often this conclusion is derived without proper listening tests, and this is where things tend to go pear-shaped over there.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:21am
"Teachers open the door; you enter by yourself."

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:09pm
I wonder why John Yang (Mr Topping) has such a bee in his bonnet for all things Slee..?

It's obvious he hasn't actually listened to a current model UL which is strange since I'm told they are very popular in China... Wink

-------------

Posted By: jupiterboy
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 4:12pm
A little science is a dangerous thing. 

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
I do look at this site from time to time but I really only focus on the measurements posted by Amir and a couple other people that test gear with an Audio Precision analyzer. I try not to get into the weeds of the discussion boards too much. I'm not even sure at this point if one of the users at the thread in question even interpreted the GS product specs correctly. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:45pm
"Plus they don't specify output impedance, but I imagine it will be very high."

"The Solo is 120 Ohm out. This also explains why it sounds different."

Two responses from that thread that I would love to respond to but just couldn't be arsed frankly...there really is no point.

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:59pm
Agree with you. Welcome to the internet.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:33pm
For some if you can't push this, turn that and tweek something it's not worth buying
To me I like the plug it in and play some music with great sound quality and THATS what I get with Graham Slee. I have a CD player with a load of digital filters and things and I only use the default setting, could not hear any difference with the other filters settings
KEEP IT SIMPLE THAT'S WHAT I SAY

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

For some if you can't push this, turn that and tweek something it's not worth buying
To me I like the plug it in and play some music with great sound quality and THATS what I get with Graham Slee. I have a CD player with a load of digital filters and things and I only use the default setting, could not hear any difference with the other filters settings
KEEP IT SIMPLE THAT'S WHAT I SAY

Agreed.

S.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 11:34am
Open the door for views and comments from 'fellow' hifi enthusiasts and it's almost inevitable that there'll be those barging in, elbows out, with strong opinions to belittle any other opinion.
That spec-quoter hasn't even heard one...

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
I have never looked at spec's of any bit of HiFi that I have had in the past only can I plug (CD Turntable or tape) into the amp but then most you can anyway, but best to check .
Spec's mean nothing! If it sounds cr-p. If you are going Digital then yes I think you have to (don't know much about that side of thinks) as I only have a CD player.
Listen with your ears not the spec's   THATS what say

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
Agreed. Listening is believing as I wrote on the forum some years ago.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:37am
I'm far from an "objectivist" (whatever that is), but I have found that some consideration of gain matching with my turntable and in-room measurements have helped optimize the gear I can afford. 

I say this because these things are virtually free, and I see people who roll new gear in and out of their rooms. 

I'll also say that the cable debates are THE MOST TEDIOUS dead horse in audio, but I do tend to look to other industries—like medical and defense. If these industries are paying up for technology, then one can certainly argue that they don't apply to audio because nobody can hear the differences, but trying to argue that these technologies are snake oil and that the medical and defense industries are being defrauded really takes the cake.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 7:53am
I do think cables between major components matter, not that I could hear the differences clearly as it is not as easy to do thorough side-by-side comparisons like with headphones or speakers. Their impedance, capacitance, inductance, material, length and EM shielding may be able to affect the audibility of frequency balance, phase problems and distortion and stereo image changes.

I bet my system would sound really off if I removed all my Lautus interconnects and replaced them with cheap alternatives or those of silver construction. It would be like changing the PCB layouts of the circuit boards if you introduce antenna-long cables with no shielding at all. The characteristics of a cable would have to be drastically unsuitable for me to hear a difference though I think. Asking me to differentiate between a Lautus and CuSat50 interconnect in a blind test would likely be inconclusive, seeing as they are almost of equal construction.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:49pm
And yet some (many) would argue that every cable has it's own "sound" and there have been reams of drivel written about how a particular cable improves (always improves) the system it's used in!

Now...I have heard differences. Subtle differences that even one as loquacious as I would have extreme difficulty describing or quantifying. But not placebo. I think. 

And there I shall leave it for now, because cable debates are so outré...Wink

-------------

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by jupiterboy jupiterboy wrote:

but trying to argue that these technologies are snake oil and that the medical and defense industries are being defrauded really takes the cake.

Hi Mark!

From a GB perspective, I can only add that our "defence" industry is regularly defrauded (and worse) by suppliers such as BAe, Siemens et al - see Private Eye passim, ad nauseam.... AngryShockedEvil Smile

f.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:15pm
I gauge a product's true worth by whether I enjoy listening with it or not. If I'm not enjoying what I'm hearing as much, there's my answer, regardless of its expense. I've never been someone who likes to write pages and pages of pretentious bollocks to try to delude myself and others that something is better than it actually is. A recent headphone comparison I did several weeks back between two earspeaker headphones was summed up in pretty much one paragraph. Good thing I didn't write it on head-fi; all the fakers would have been like: "well this 'review' sucks..." because I just skipped to the conclusion and said "Yep, one sounds better than the other. I know because I enjoy music more through one than the other".

With cable comparisons, I would just say: "Yeah, the sound has improved purity and resolution when I use this cable in place of the other one" or "I can't hear any difference in the sound through either". The comprehensive story-telling reviews tend to piss me off because they rarely give the reader anything conclusive or truthful, sometimes leaving them more confused or with more questions. Maybe it's just me but there are very few audio "professionals" that I trust online. I can count them on one hand and struggle to count them on two.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
I like Ash's approach, keep it simple and to the point. I can usually tell quite quickly whether I prefer the new item to what I have already, generally more clarity/separation and a natural sound is my preference. If there is an improvement a lot of listening follows with the temptation to describe it at length and justify the expense. Of course it is cheaper if the test outcome is the other way round!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

but trying to argue that these technologies are snake oil and that the medical and defense industries are being defrauded really takes the cake.

Hi Mark!

From a GB perspective, I can only add that our "defence" industry is regularly defrauded (and worse) by suppliers such as BAe, Siemens et al - see Private Eye passim, ad nauseam.... AngryShockedEvil Smile

f.

No doubt, and in all sorts of ways. 

What I'm not saying explicitly is that I have a real interest in the design of speakers and cables and all this stuff. I also tend to listen closely and hear issues that I don't know how to solve. When I find a product that fixes an issue that's bothering me, I tend to go to their marketing and pick through what might be responsible for what I'm hearing. I think that's very different than taking a top down reductionist position.

I also have pretty much zero faith in the idea that AB testing has any degree of validity in terms of these audio nuances. I feel like that assumption is the real leap of faith.

Also, every industry in the world uses inflated marketing copy to present their product in the best light. I am thoroughly confused at why one tiny industry would eschew this trend and only present their products without hyperbole. 

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:10pm
Why: large profits!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 12:57am
Everything sounds different to everything else. Lots of reasons based in science to tell us why. Mostly noise reduction, EMI rejection, reduced microphone, etc. All very believable and repeatably demonstrable. Good. 

Use the bits you find make listening enjoyable. Leave everyone else alone to do the same. Job done.

Music is absolutely objective, but our perception is not. My two best friends have become investors in hifi because of their experiences in my listening room. Great! But listening to their seriously researched and auditioned systems, it’s very clear they value a different experience than I do. I reckon that’s how it should be. 

Cheers,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:02am
Wumaos?

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Wumaos?

Clap

They're everywhere, trying to influence everything that appears to have been reviewed. Usually lauding cheap clones from you know where.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:15am
The post-Truth era is here. Question everything.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:58pm
Yes, it feels like a mass version of being contrary. Throw in a remarkable ignorance of science, history, human knowledge and a tendency to believe utter nonsense... welcome to the Internet!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:11am
I'd really like to hear a discussion wander into the applications of conductive and semi-conductive dielectric materials. The whole idea of addressing EM field outside the cable—that never, ever gets any reasonable light.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 9:58am

I'd really like to hear a discussion wander into the applications of conductive and semi-conductive dielectric materials. The whole idea of addressing EM field outside the cable—that never, ever gets any reasonable light.

I once tried to do that, but the Advertising Standards Agency (UK) told me I was in breach of their rules, and I had to take it down. They told me that they'd had a complaint by a college lecturer (no other information supplied), and that was good enough for them to find against me.

Freedom of speech?

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 11:15am
You're allowed to talk about the Lautus etc, just don't say anything about it improving sound quality and you're good to go?

Better yet, make the Lautus interconnects a "forum members only and private message request" purchase and say nowt.

If you're not "advertising" a specific product for financial gain, they have no grounds to make a claim against you and seeing as there are plenty of genuinely "sh*te" products out on the market being sold, such as cable pylons et al, they would be utter hypocrites to do so.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
If only the genuinely sh#te products were labelled as such!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

...plenty of genuinely "sh*te" products out on the market being sold, such as cable pylons et al, they would be utter hypocrites to do so.

It would seem that the college lecturer hasn't complained about those products Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:42pm
Probably wasn't even a "college lecturer". If so, I would love to read any of the scientific papers they've published about techniques to suppress EMI in cables. Could provide some insightful wisdom. What I suspect is that as the UK is a very class-divided society, an individual with power and influence who has taken a dislike to you or your activities has decided to influence an official body to take action. So keep your head down and sell them on the sly; be dishonest about it if you have to. It's not like our country is a shining beacon of honesty and good intentions. If the Lautus is identical to the CuSat50 in construction apart from the addition of one or more ferrites, perhaps sell them as CuSat50 and offer the inclusion of a ferrite filter in the sheath as an option in the drop-down menu for an additional charge. Add disclaimer "may or may not improve signal fidelity"

F*** the aristocracy.

Posted By: fluddite
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 7:37pm

Probably wasn't even a "college lecturer"....

What I suspect is that as the UK is a very class-divided society, an individual with power and influence who has taken a dislike to you or your activities has decided to influence an official body to take action....

F*** the aristocracy.

Amen to all that! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:24pm

I'd learned a bit about radio frequencies studying for my 2m radio amateur license exam with the RSGB (early 1980's). However, other things got in the way, and I never sat the exam. My interest in radio communications fell away, as I had to concentrate harder on earning a living.

My next brush with radio frequencies was at the beginning of the EMC regulations, starting about 1995. I had already spent four years in broadcast, but working on audio, not the RF end. However, I knew about over modulation, and the audio circuitry had to meet tests regarding retransmission. So I had an understanding of EMC already.

I attended EMC seminars and was given the responsibility of keeping abreast of EMC in a freelance position in 1997.

The products I design have also to comply with EMC legislation, and they do. Although I have never been able to demonstrate it by third party laboratory testing (except for the PSU1), I have used the same self-declaration approach of most in the audio industry.

Our full range of products was EMC tested in South Korea, by a distributor who was required by law to do so. Every product passed.

When designing the Accession, I wanted to ensure its EMC credentials were squeaky clean and having read about Cherry Clough Consultants, and their work for the Advertising Standards Authority, I thought I could not go wrong in hiring them (quite expensive).

I was also developing the Lautus interconnects, and under the same consultancy costs, these were discussed.

Cherry Clough had reported on the false advertising as an expert witness, of another hi-fi firm for the ASA. After being hauled over the coals by the ASA for my explanations about the Lautus USB cable design, I explained that I was using their chosen consultant, but that made no impression on them. They'd had a complaint from a college lecturer, which topped my use of one of the most well-known names in EMC.

I am willing to discuss the thought process involved in anti-nodes, which isn't a secret by the way, and the way a half-turn ferrite core works on RF attenuation. Or I can guide you to resources about it. Just let me know.

-------------

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:51pm
Hi Graham,
What did you say that the Lautus did that was objectionable?

According to BS EN 61000-5-2 we need parallel earth conductors for all signal cables. We need to fit segregated trunking to our racks to get signal, ac power, and dc power cables separate then bond the equipment chassis’ to the trunking with earth straps or braids (not round cables as they don’t have sufficient surface area.

The trunking (galvanised steel) forms the parallel conductor for us and having a high surface area provides a low impedance bond at high frequency. All equipment will be on the same equipotential ground plane, audio nivarra surely. Yes I am joking.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:07pm
Chris,
Firstly, the Accession C has a solid ground plane, but after supplementing it with 7/0.2 equipment wire between input ground and the 0V connections local to each op-amp, the noise and distortion measurements improved. Allegedly, and according to every EMC engineer who has published anything about ground planes, what I have said is not possible.

PS, dare I say it? It sounded better too!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
Chris,
Secondly, in answering your first question, I cannot recall the exact text because I deleted the lot in a fit of rage.

Graham in error #1:

It had to do with the signals seen on the scope, which everybody seems convinced are neat square waves. Either every function on my scope is/was buggered, or the signals from USB (and even S/PDIF) are a tangle, which somehow, the decoder chip manages to sort out to eventually become, as near as damn it, music.

Graham in error #2:

My thoughts turned to the placement of ferrites on the cable and what effect it could have in cleaning up the signal.

Having helped a pal out of a spot of bother at one of Nottingham University's lecture theatres (2003, when I also did pro installs), I had fitted the ends of a rather long composite video cable (ridiculously long) with ferrites. It was good enough to sharpen the image from the roof-mounted projector, which was being fed by a posh DVD player run by automation from a lectern console. I'd had thoughts of him having to use amplifiers to boost the rather weak signal, but the ferrites did the trick. I was taken aback or gobsmacked at the result. It also saved my pal's profit margin for his install.

I wanted to know how such a "half turn" RF transformer had worked, and the theory is that at some (unknown) frequency, there would be an RF short circuit - the transformer producing the short. Understandably, it would not be an actual short at that frequency but would offer some attenuation.

In RF a few units of dBs seem to make quite a difference and recalling how YRN's engineering chief had solved a cross-channel conflict on an outdoor broadcast - by tying a knot in the transmitter feed cable at a point he measured (the guy being a Home Office approved engineer) - it seemed that there was something about cables I needed to know.

I did a lot of research online, but since I was told to take my explanation down, the online sources also disappeared. You might wish to explore the power the ASA has over the UK internet.

The one thing they cannot remove is cable velocity, simply because manufacturers like Belden, quote velocity factor. However, my work was based on the lengths of the cable where the anti-nodes of particular frequencies occurred. This was how Derek knew where to tie the knot in the transmitter feeder.

The college lecturer objected to this part of the explanation, although it seems regular radio communications practice. Obviously, talking about audio, and audio not being radio, I suppose he had a point, but my interest was the higher speed signals on USB.

I will continue this in a bit. I need coffee!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:36pm

I'd learned a bit about radio frequencies studying for my 2m radio amateur license exam with the RSGB (early 1980's). However, other things got in the way, and I never sat the exam. My interest in radio communications fell away, as I had to concentrate harder on earning a living.

My next brush with radio frequencies was at the beginning of the EMC regulations, starting about 1995. I had already spent four years in broadcast, but working on audio, not the RF end. However, I knew about over modulation, and the audio circuitry had to meet tests regarding retransmission. So I had an understanding of EMC already.

I attended EMC seminars and was given the responsibility of keeping abreast of EMC in a freelance position in 1997.

The products I design have also to comply with EMC legislation, and they do. Although I have never been able to demonstrate it by third party laboratory testing (except for the PSU1), I have used the same self-declaration approach of most in the audio industry.

Our full range of products was EMC tested in South Korea, by a distributor who was required by law to do so. Every product passed.

When designing the Accession, I wanted to ensure its EMC credentials were squeaky clean and having read about Cherry Clough Consultants, and their work for the Advertising Standards Authority, I thought I could not go wrong in hiring them (quite expensive).

I was also developing the Lautus interconnects, and under the same consultancy costs, these were discussed.

Cherry Clough had reported on the false advertising as an expert witness, of another hi-fi firm for the ASA. After being hauled over the coals by the ASA for my explanations about the Lautus USB cable design, I explained that I was using their chosen consultant, but that made no impression on them. They'd had a complaint from a college lecturer, which topped my use of one of the most well-known names in EMC.

I am willing to discuss the thought process involved in anti-nodes, which isn't a secret by the way, and the way a half-turn ferrite core works on RF attenuation. Or I can guide you to resources about it. Just let me know.

That's interesting background. I had the sense that something had happened, but had no idea. I am also not clued in to the politics, so it's an interesting insight. 

I come at this as a simple enthusiast who doesn't have the cash to entertain a parade of audio components in and out of my home. Over the years I've kept and idea of the sound I like, but that has evolved along with my understanding of the design parameters that work for me. That said, gear wears out, and not being able to afford big mistakes, I tend to try and educate myself so I make better purchases.

You have given me a few new concepts to read up on—overmodulation and anti-nodes! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

What I can say is that an easy way to experiment with cables without spending much is to buy some bulk wire, terminate it, and see what happens. After making many of the basic discoveries, like heavier wire does change the way the low end sounds; I arrived at trying to mitigate the transient and very hot moments in recordings—like when a horn player goes into the red or sibilance. I started to realize that, particularly with valve amplification and its various added distortions, that the bloom that was generally romantic was not good when the recording was at its worst. I started reading up on true Litz wire, and the compromises and benefits of running wires in parallel—higher capacitance, lower inductance. That led me into discussion of EMC and the idea that magnetic forces outside the wire were in play. I also quickly figured out this was a big taboo in online discussion. Those that stopped with Ohms law were having nothing to do with it, and those who just liked to listen to differences did not seem to distinguish it from other marketing hyperbole. About that time I found an inexpensive wire with individually insulated wires run in parallel ribbon form. This wire really seemed to neutralize the bloom, but also reduce the added artifacts at distorted moments that were baked into recordings. I was super happy, but as I read, I realized that discussions of ideal dielectrics—those that had the least interaction with the wire—had nothing to say about conductive and semi-conductive dielectrics, which is exactly what the cheap and cheerful wires I was listening through employed. 

Anyway, that's more than enough insight into my comments. What I'm amazed to learn from your response and should have been obvious is that EMC applies to wires but also to the circuits of components. I suspect it also applies to a system as a whole from transducer to transducer, which I also suspect has to do with phase integrity of the sound. 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:43pm
It may be recalled by some that bass loss can be the result of high-frequency instability, or other high frequencies wasting power. Going on what I have read in hi-fi, the correct solutions might not be understood.

It might stand to reason that a subjective improvement to the bass - in other words, it sounds nicer - might indicate that the high-frequency problem had been solved or mitigated. It appeared that way to one eighties reviewer who produced 3D RF plots of amplifiers to try and understand why one might sound better than another. I recall the Kraken, which had a following, but I also remember others saying it was as bright as ****. The RF plot of that amplifier was a complete mess.

It turned out that my only point of reference in researching the Lautus (all of them) was their subjective bass response. The reason being that I had no objective way of measuring the differences.

I had started to equip myself with an RF spectrum analyser. Still, I was unable to "drive it" but had started taking an interest in the work of Keith Armstrong (Cherry Clough), and I was going to continue studying how to get to the measurements required. Having had the wind blown out of my sails by the ASA, the RF spectrum analyser has been collecting dust.

This goes to show that the research was based on subjective findings. Still, then it was reverse engineered by mathematics and the physics of cable velocity, and in particular, the frequencies where nodes and anti-nodes would appear.

I had thought the ferrites would attenuate interference frequencies of things like switched-mode power supply harmonics and mobile phone interference. However, the calculations pointed to 100MHz and 200MHz.

The ferrite positions were adjusted to the calculated nodes or anti-nodes (by now, I forget which, because I lost interest, but they are whatever 90 degrees occurs at). The conclusion of more listening tests was setting ferrites at the exact distance from the enclosure's emergence, that the 90-degree point of the waveform of 100MHz and 200MHz, related to the cable velocity, the better it sounded.

The cables were then loaned out to members, and the general comment was of a bass improvement, with one or two disliking this.

I then decided to take a stock USB cable, investigate its construction, using the type of dielectric (PVC) research its velocity, and then use the result to set the ferrite to the calculated position.

We heard an improvement here, and owners club/forum members commented positively, so I started to market the Lautus USB cable.

The explanation, which went along the lines described above, was questioned as being false advertising by the college lecturer. The ASA rejected the forum members' subjective findings and stated that I must prove what I had said by measurement or remove the explanation.

The ruling only applied to the Lautus USB, but I removed references to the same description on the other Lautus pages, just in case.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:46pm
Thanks for taking the time to rewrite this. I find this topic interesting and would like to understand it in more detail.

I think:
Anti-node = region of peak amplitude
Node= region of zero displacement

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:09pm
It will be the anti-nodes, my notes from October 2012 have:

velocity factor, VF = speed of light in dielectric / speed of light in vacuum = 1/sqrt(e) where e is the dielectric constant

Reception is zero at beginning of cable so quarter wavelength (antinode) out from shielded source is the key position, that is the first peak in the wavelength or lamda /4

For 100 MHz in vaccuum would get 75cm for lambda = 3m, adjust for the VF of PE cable and you get 50cm for antinode/ferrite position (using PE which has VF 66%) - put the ferrite bead there

Halve this for 200MHz, it has half the wavelength so 25cm. This would be at lambda/8 of 100MHz so one bead at 25cm and one bead at 75cm (i.e. 50cm further on from the first one)

Foamed PE has VF 82% so increase the spacing in proportion. Nylon and PVC (in some mains cables) is around 50% so closer than solid PE.

Graham was right and it worked! The theory made sense to me back then and still does. Science and good engineering put a ferrite in the right place on an audio or SPDIF cable for known radio interference, better than randomly chucking a ferrite on a cable as seen elsewhere which makes no sense if your aim is to protect an unbalanced signal by stopping a RF signal imposing itself on the ground/return so it appears on the signal too and overloads the input of the next piece of equipment.

Hope that helps Ash and my acknowledgement to Graham for repeating what he worked out and shared.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:19am
Can you only tune the ferrite core by position for one frequency, and how do you choose that frequency?

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:16am
A particular frequency is attenuated based on its wavelength. The attenuation curve is a phase-shifted sine wave?? A range of frequencies in the region are reduced in amplitude, with the frequency at 90 degrees receiving the highest reduction.

100MHz region of the radio band is chosen as likely has the best potential for attenuation as it is the typical frequency area used in FM radio transmission so contains the most radio interference to suppress.

If you wish for signal attenuation at an alternative frequency region, the ferrite position is moved to reflect this. The cable has to be connected the "correct" way around (marked arrows on sheath) for the signal attenuation to be in the "culprit" region chosen. It is not a "palindromic" distance.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:05am
The reason for knowing where the nodes and anti-nodes are so the ferrite can be positioned where it counts (I am grateful to Ash and Jon for reminding me which is what).

A node is where the waveform passes through zero. Positioning for that will do nothing because the signal is already zero.

The anti-node is where the voltage rises to maximum, and it needs to be in the first half cycle at the peak of the quadrant, for maximum attenuation.

The frequencies either side, near to that point, will receive some attenuation.

As I've said, I can offer no proof, just the theory, but the circuit is shown in fig 3C on this page ( http://www.compliance-club.com/archive/old_archive/990609.htm - http://www.compliance-club.com/archive/old_archive/990609.htm ). It is the left-hand circuit of the 2-circuit CM choke. The "short" is because the two conductors transform to each other. Its nickname is a half-turn transformer because it isn't a loop-around. Obviously, its efficiency isn't high, but subjectively, it works.

The ferrite bead or tube must be chosen to have maximum impedance for the range of frequencies you wish the filter to work on.

The USB cable I made was based on 200MHz. If made for a lower frequency, it might affect the rise and fall times of the signal. You can get a clue from the clock frequency. A square wave is made up of all the whole number odd harmonics of its fundamental (3, 5, 7, 9, etc.), and the idea is to keep it as square as possible while filtering out higher frequency noise.

-------------

Posted By: gwebster
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:01pm
As Graham found (even though the ASA thought otherwise), the appropriate use of ferrites on cables is definitely a worthwhile thing. Along similar lines, my son made definite and demonstrable improvements to RFI noise picked up by his remotely mounted radio receiver stick being controlled by a Raspberry Pi over his home network. If it's of interest, have a look http://alloutput.com/amateur-radio/ethernet-rfi-noise-reduction/ - here .

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:25pm
Finally getting my head around Jon's mental arithmetic there. Calculating the distances for ferrite placement is one thing; what about the qualities of the ferrite itself? Does it have to be a certain size or have a particular inductance or "crystal" resonance?

Why a 200MHz calculation? For the second harmonic of the fundamental wave?? If you had a 10m cable and the signal amplitude were not significantly attenuated by that length, you could have a series of ferrites along the cable that gradually get closer together by a factor of VF%, as long as they fit on the cable?

The physical contact that the sheath/insulation makes with the EM shield is also important. I assume that is why users were encouraged to gently and carefully bend the cable slightly along different parts of its length to ensure that the sheath is as separated from the shield as possible. If not, could the filter be bypassed to some extent? I understand that I may be asking too many questions...

One more thing, is velocity factor a similar principle to refractive index? A constant between 0 and 1 that considers the speed of light in the medium compared to the speed of light in free space (vacuum).

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:01pm

Why a 200MHz calculation?

It worked.

As for the rest of your questions, I'll let Jon answer them LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:10pm
So by the logic of "it worked", each ferrite point must act like the start of a new cable?

I kind of understand yet am very confused at the same time.

We are so used to visualising currents as direct current rather than alternating current. The energy propagates through the conductor very differently.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Honestly, my room imposes such dreadful nodes and antinodes on the bass that I'd have a hard time telling if I had the ferrite core right. lol

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:03pm

So by the logic of "it worked", each ferrite point must act like the start of a new cable?

That was one way I looked at it.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:09pm

Why a 200MHz calculation?

It worked.

As for the rest of your questions, I'll let Jon answer them LOL

Thanks Graham. I used your formula to position ferrites on some mains cables. It was not always discernible but seemed to sharpen the picture on the TV.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:10pm

Honestly, my room imposes such dreadful nodes and antinodes on the bass that I'd have a hard time telling if I had the ferrite core right. lol

That's why we go through the pain for you Wink

Room ratios, BBC acoustical engineering guide, rebuilds, laser cut absorbers, lots of wasted effort and materials (an abandoned new building!), and eventually we arrived at the equivalent of a control room regarding how it sounds... or we can use headphones!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:16pm

Finally getting my head around Jon's mental arithmetic there. Calculating the distances for ferrite placement is one thing; what about the qualities of the ferrite itself? Does it have to be a certain size or have a particular inductance or "crystal" resonance?

> I bought some ferrite blocks from Maplin that werea about 30mm long and centred them on the cable at the calculated distance.

Why a 200MHz calculation? For the second harmonic of the fundamental wave?? If you had a 10m cable and the signal amplitude were not significantly attenuated by that length, you could have a series of ferrites along the cable that gradually get closer together by a factor of VF%, as long as they fit on the cable?

> Yes, in theory a longer cable needs more ferrites as you create a node and the wave starts there. In practice one or two was enough but I didn't have an oscilloscope to look at the waveforms so very subjective on my part.

The physical contact that the sheath/insulation makes with the EM shield is also important. I assume that is why users were encouraged to gently and carefully bend the cable slightly along different parts of its length to ensure that the sheath is as separated from the shield as possible. If not, could the filter be bypassed to some extent? I understand that I may be asking too many questions...

> Not sure whether if it would make a difference. Your chance to explore...

One more thing, is velocity factor a similar principle to refractive index? A constant between 0 and 1 that considers the speed of light in the medium compared to the speed of light in free space
(vacuum).

> Yes but different frequency range.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:13pm
Thanks very much Jon. Thumbs Up

So Graham, if the ferrite position is essentially the end of one circuit and the beginning of another, would it not be wiser to place the next ferrite at the same distance again, to attenuate the fundamental frequency rather than its second harmonic?? The amplitude of the fundamental is also higher than that of subsequent harmonics so more to attenuate?

With all the expense of setting up speakers for optimum performance and reference sound, perhaps £3.5k MySphere is a more sensible choice? An expensive investment but backed up with plenty of R+D and extensive sound measurement techniques.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
@ Jon: I wouldn't even try to measure frequency vs amplitude, because the cable reflections will swamp any theoretical attenuation. It is theory after all.

@ Ash: Where a second ferrite is used, the first ferrite is for the upper frequency. The origin for the lower frequency is still at the cable start.

The 2nd harmonic will peak in the middle of the filter frequency's first quadrant, and so, theoretically also be attenuated to a lesser degree.

Hint: wavelength is in inverse proportion to frequency. Higher frequency - shorter wavelength.

For the USB, I decided not to try 100MHz due to the possibility of "rounding-off" the properties of (what should be) the squarewaves. The FFT of a squarewave being the fundamental and all its whole number odd harmonics.

But all this is theory anyway, although I would like to be able to measure it one day.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
Yeah, otherwise with digital, you may find yourself attenuating the signal rather than the interference.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:53am
This thread certainly has veered off course somewhat...did we not begin by discussing Audio Science Review..? Wink

That said, interesting stuff although much of it goes over my head...Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by capetownwatches capetownwatches wrote:

This thread certainly has veered off course somewhat...did we not begin by discussing Audio Science Review..? Wink

That said, interesting stuff although much of it goes over my head...Embarrassed

Like the science and logic goes over the heads of those at Audio Science Review. Geek

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:31pm
Has anyone here spotted this?

S.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-reflex-c-review-phono-stage.19247/ - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/graham-slee-reflex-c-review-phono-stage.19247/

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:54pm
No.
Not a forum I look at often, as they are purely measurement based.
In their reviews, they never listen to it.

With my HiFi, I do the opposite.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm
Reading some of the comments, Graham seems to be spoke of with quite a lot of contempt on other forums. It's a wonder he bothers doing what he does at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:15pm
Ash
I agree.
do any of them listen to the product on that forum, It MAKES me wonder if they listen to music.
IT'S the sound and build quality that matters to me not how it looks. they could not agree on the price of it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:14pm
I never understand when people expect products to be priced as just a sum of their parts. Without all the weeks and months of time put into product research/development and production costs to bring it into existence, it wouldn't be available to purchase in the first place. Apparently skilled workers are expected to work for pretty much nothing?? Humans can't survive on thin air; there has to be a markup. I scratch my head in confusion at the spoiled and entitled Western culture.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:28am
That website and its commentariat seems based around a few assumptions:

1. If it measures good it must sound good

2. If I can’t personally afford it it must be crap value

3. “Ha, got you! Your thing measures crap and you’re a sucker.”

Did I get it all? I follow a number of designers in their commentary and design ethos, and none would agree with any of those statements above. It’s a very small community on that site. It seems populated with people just wanting to justify their own purchases and be mean to those who don’t agree.

It’s the worst kind of pathetically weak standing behind “I’m entitled to free speech”, anti-thought, anti-democracy intellectually lazy charlatanism.

Can we just ignore them? We’ll be happier.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
I don't have a problem with sites doing measurements. Matter of fact I think we need more measurements in this hobby, not less. However, I do think measurements need to be put in context. 

Fact is, records are a noisy format. There is always going to be noise, whether from the cartridge or the record itself. We like records anyway for reasons that are rational and not so rational. 

The main beef there seems to be mains noise which was detected under his measurement. I don't know what happened there. Amir does mention that audibility of that mains noise would be low. Probably not something one would hear when playing an actual record. 

As for overload, I don't think it's a problem with the Reflex C either, but people are likely to misinterpret the info given. To my understanding, we should be looking at the max output of the unit, which in this case is 4.9 Volts

Here are some quick Excel calculations. Note that this unit tested must be an older unit, because the gain measured was 59.2dB, not 62dB as with the current iteration of the Reflex C. 

If my calculations are correct, that's 20dB of headroom for actual records with a 0.5mV LOMC cart. Even if you own a bunch of hotly cut records like I do, none of them are going to be cut at +20dB. Likely +12 to +14dB for hot records. 

His max input test is used as a proxy for how annoying clicks and pops are going to be with a given phono stage. I'm not sure if that's a good idea. A better idea would be to record actual clicks and pops digitally and run them through the unit and then measure. Or at least simulate those clicks and pops somehow with specific types of test tones. I'm not sure any industry standard test for this parameter (clicks and pops) exists, or at least, I haven't seen one. 

He does mention that the dynamic range is good, the RIAA EQ is accurate, and that the clipping is at the same level for all frequencies. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 6:24pm
My gripe is that it is all measurement based.
Never does he listen to it in a system, which is what HiFi is all about.
How does the device influence the music? Does the sound please me?

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:05pm
CageyH
I agree with you.
You say he never listen to it in a system then how can he say weather it's going to sound good or not. To me measurements like these are like stats you can make what ever you like out of them, Read into them how YOU like, Some one else reads them differently. Like football the stats may say your team had all the possession so on paper they won but the result is your team lost. ( that's the best way I can put it)
I hope you get what I mean!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:40pm
Hello all,

David and I have been having a private discussion. Still, perhaps it would be better to throw it open to all interested members.

I have resisted joining in on this topic because I think it a waste of energy engaging with those easily-led by those of poor understanding.

I wish vinyl was as easy to understand as the uneducated believe it to be. Sadly, it is considerably more complicated, so much so that the examiners of the US and UK patent offices had difficulty because they had to learn and re-learn RIAA EQ to comprehend my patent. The US examiners got there early, and by the looks of things, the UK examiners are going to take their word for it rather than go through the whole rigmarole.

I have tried to explain that the output of a generator rises with increasing speed. The cartridge is the generator, and the frequency is the speed. Without a regulator, the output of a generator increases. It should be obvious to the older end here, who ever owned an old car, found the bulbs blackening and blowing, found the battery had bubbled over, and then realised they needed a new regulator on the alternator.

It should also be evident to those old enough that the ceramic cartridges of the good old days gave an almost flat response. Still, when a magnetic cartridge was connected to the same input, save for the lack of volume, the sound contained minimal bass, not much mids, but tons of highs.

The type of input I mean is the 1 meg or larger grid input resistor of a valve (tube) input. An input that has no EQ - just plain and simply flat. Yes, some sounded dull because there is record EQ. Still, only a dip between 500Hz and 2122Hz - otherwise, the record is recorded flat: it's called constant amplitude.

When played using a generator - a constant velocity device - a magnetic cartridge, whether MM, MC, or MI, the flat becomes an upward curve. The dip becomes flat. The flat upper portion again becomes an upward curve.

The curve is not homogenised. The curve is two separate curves happening at different times in history. 1. when the record was cut; 2. when you play the record.

I shall not delve into the 50Hz lower frequency pole, or zero, depending on which way you look at it, right now. The point is that the flat gain stages beloved by hi-fi marketers have considerable headroom at low frequencies and virtually none before their passive interstage filters cut. You can have one doing the bass and another doing the HF. The HF one gives you the chance of claiming you're god, at 1kHz.

So then, what about the clicks and pops? Believe it or not, they're fast spikes, and therefore they're high frequency. If they don't cause the record to skip, they're below cutover amplitude, and that's approximately 5 times the recorded level. If you don't have any headroom left up there, the result is a gain stage out of control because its NFB has no source anymore. And to those who say there's no NFB, there always is. It's just the usage of words to explain a different type.

An active stage, where the EQ network is the negative feedback, provided there's sufficient loop-gain, has a constant overload margin. Just how much is required depends on understanding the recording process and the cutover ratio. A cartridge doesn't reproduce music (as such) when skipping - when it's stuck, and that's cutover. There are known limits, and most vinyl can only reach +14dB (5 x the signal) on music. You can cut grooves at higher amplitude but only at specific frequencies and waveforms - that's what they record on test records.

If the limit is 5 times, you don't need any more headroom (or, as some call it, saturation).

As I wrote to David earlier: "I choose to use active EQ because it results in a constant overload margin. In passive EQ, the overload margin narrows with frequency, but if you decide to advertise "the right end," you can hugely impress your customers."

However, active EQ comes with difficulty, and it can result in clicks and pops just as loud as a passive interstage equaliser. The reason is overshoot, which is to do with the propagation timing of the stage. It has plenty to do with slewing-induced distortion. The subject was initially discussed (regarding power amplifiers) in an AES paper by Matti Otala in 1972.

If you can imagine the input as a "singleton" transistor, or even a differential pair, if it has no emitter degeneration, it overloads and passes the signal directly to the "voltage amplifier" section. However, that is Miller stabilised, which means it must charge the Miller stability capacitor. Modeled passively, it can be seen that the capacitance isn't the value of the capacitor, it is magnified by the gain, and so it represents a very awkward load to the source (the cartridge). Most transistor stages were like that because by adding emitter degeneration, the hiss increased considerably.

Now, also, you have the EQ in the negative feedback trying to cancel the noise, but you can see that due to the Miller capacitor, there's a delay. The NFB sees a fake error voltage and corrects what should not be there. This takes several cycles to dissipate, during which the stage clips its power rail and extends the click, making it a thick click.

The above is only scratching the surface (pardon the pun), but I'd like all to know that my own learning started in public entertainment (playing records to audiences) more than 45 years ago. Now approaching my state pension (nearly 66), I do get a bit pee'd off about know-all upstarts and don't really want them publicised in my space.

I might talk a little about testing next time I'm on.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:09am
They all eventually turn. Some start that way. The Solo sounds really bad, said Mr. G on Head-Fi, later admitting he never had one nor heard one, his excuse being he was an X-Can enthusiast. That's right, Mr. G, kick the working guy in the nuts. He also has a forum.

It must be really tough for the Chinese. After drubbing mine, almost always and without fail, the Cambridge phono saves the day! Audio Scaremonger Rer, you are not the first, and you won't be the last. Same with Google!

Not that I want to turn this into a rant about the Chinese Communist Party, but many fingerprints make light work. It seems Big-Tech controls "free speech" these days.

You'd think they'd leave the harmless working guy alone. Seems they need another 3,000 sales to keep afloat (poor buggers), either that or they have blind-mans sn*t syndrome (must I explain?).

I'm such an amateur, you know! "he has no factory - look, this is his registered address - he works from home, haha."

Sure, I don't have a million square feet with dorm on top or suicide nets, and I try very hard not to support Uiger Muslim torture. I'm a guy who learns from his past mistakes.

You can view the industrial unit on a South Yorkshire industrial estate - it's still there - but with a different occupier.

Alan, the manager, was taken aback when I told him what the three pipes emerging from the wall had been used for (compressed air). He was somewhat gobsmacked as I showed him around his premises, giving him its history, but that history was from the 1980s.

There is an "about" page, you know? I guess nobody ever bothers to read it. It might seem to some that it's just made up on the fly; after all, there are no references you can check. Well, the one I've at last been able to mention - Audionics Sheffield Ltd - went bust a few years ago, complete with "director shame," so can no longer leg me down with legal threats. They were once the engineering arm of YRN PLC, who owned Radio Hallam, Pennine, and Viking (plus Magic AM), who was bought out by Metro, cutting my employment short! I was a senior engineer.

The other two are a bit dodgy; even the mention of Station Lane could see me in court. However, I might get away with Chevin Research because Martin always had a headache (he will know what I mean). Then there are the little jobs in-between I could boast of, but on second thoughts, that's just petty.

Beyond the cover of Google street view (TM), which I'm told ASR shows, lay my 300 sq ft workshop, and in other parts of South Yorkshire and the North Midlands, the additional 500 sq ft exists. Provided it's legal, you can form a loose workers cooperative in the UK - how very working-class and non-communist Chinese can we get?

We are, in fact, three separate companies. John and Leo run theirs, and I run mine. I am 100% HiFi System Components Ltd, and its sole director. They have their own "clientele," amongst which is HiFi System Components Ltd. We used to be Graham Slee Projects Ltd until "World politics" took out 70% of its customer base. We agreed to part on good terms in 2015 and came back together as a workers cooperative. HMRC punished me for phoenexing. I paid the bill, and since then, they've been giving it back.

Go check ASR!

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/09719303/HIFI-SYSTEM-COMPONENTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data - https://companycheck.co.uk/company/09719303/HIFI-SYSTEM-COMPONENTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05637059/GRAHAM-SLEE-PROJECTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data - https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05637059/GRAHAM-SLEE-PROJECTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/10417687/GRAHAM-SLEE-PROJECTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data - https://companycheck.co.uk/company/10417687/GRAHAM-SLEE-PROJECTS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

In the UK, we're totally transparent about these things, unlike in the US, China, and many other countries, where they can easily pull the wool over your eyes. Now, where is ASR based?

-------------

Posted By: Sylvain
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:07pm
Thank YOU very much for the clarification ....and the product harmonise well with my sense of hearing i  terms of sonic timbre and delighted to be A CUSTOMER to a 'Workers Co operative''' and very grateful of the research base product that provide good insights rather the Salesman hipe to part my funds. To derive good Synergy from the overall system, read the forum information again, and an email to GSP always guide and for free. Tweaking no longer ump hazardous!!!!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:12pm

Now, where is ASR based?

The person that posted the Google Street View comment is a new member with only one post to their name over there. 

I guess they didn't see the irony that ASR also measures equipment out of their house and that the proprietor (a retired software engineer IIRC) also runs a home theater installation company out of his house, with another space in a shopping center. Based in Bellevue, WA, USA. 

https://www.madronadigital.com/team-amirm - https://www.madronadigital.com/team-amirm

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:47pm
As promised, some information on measurements.

Every audio analyser has a signal generator (oscillator) which outputs the frequencies and amplitudes required for the device under test (DUT), this example being the Reflex C.

All signal generators have output impedance, or should I say output driving impedance. On AP's ATS-1 machines, the lowest they could go was 50 ohms. On the APX525, AP managed to reduce output driving impedance to 20 ohms.

We use both of these machines. We have to understand the attenuation a low impedance input causes to the analysed measurements.

If the ATS-1 is used, a stereo load of 100 ohms (the standard input on a Reflex C) is seen as 50 ohms by the oscillator output - which drives both channels in parallel. As its output driving impedance is also 50 ohms, then the Reflex C output is half what it should be (-6dB). That's because its input is half what the ATS-1 tells us. The Reflex C gain, however, is still correct.

On the APX525 with 20 ohms output driving impedance, the Reflex C output is 71.428% of what it should be because the input it is receiving is 71.428% of what the APX525 says. Still, the Reflex C gain is correct.

The only way to test a Reflex C properly is to lift one end of each input load resistor such that the test set's oscillator isn't overloaded. Experienced testers know this stuff, and when sometimes they forget, you usually hear them exclaim "finger trouble" or worse, as they realise what they've done.

An oscillator driving a heavier load than it's designed to do will distort. That distortion adds to the distortion reading, and so the inexperienced tester will record a false reading.

A distorting oscillator might also become noisier and drift off frequency, rendering a false FFT trace.

A word of warning for anybody using the loaner program to facilitate such measurements. If the product gets disassembled in any way, we will know about it. Independent test labs will either agree to pay a nominal fee or even purchase the product.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:25pm
Graham, I'm no engineer, but I think this must explain the problem. Looks like a 20 ohm output was used which recorded the gain at 59.2dB instead of 62dB. I actually thought they might have been testing an older version of the Reflex C because the gain didn't match current specs. Looks like it was just tested wrong.

Here's my layman's arithmetic. 

59.2db = a gain factor of 912

The correct gain factor should be 1260

912 divided by 1260 = 72.38%

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:09pm
Or roughly 3dB down which is 0.707 - close enough.

In the UK, AP can boast James Kelly

Quote AP: "James Kelly is a British test and measurement engineer with over 20 years' experience of designing custom automated test solutions for a variety of manufacturers in the audio industry, mainly using AP audio analysers. Before joining Audio Precision, James worked for companies including ARCAM (where he helped to develop the first ever functional 'bed of nails' testing facilities using AP analysers), TAG McLaren Audio, and International Audio Group (IAG) where he served as Head of Engineering in both Cambridgeshire and Shenzhen, China. Prior to leaving IAG, he designed automated test facilities for the manufacturing groups of Quad, Wharfedale, Mission and AudioLab."

James is quite happy in having an afternoon's testing session with me when he's in the area. Last time was before the China Flu. I think he enjoys working with knowledgeable customers. I have a lot of respect for James. It would be nice to give him more custom, and upgrade the ATS-1 with another APX525. Unfortunately, with such ill-informed "press" we don't get the turnover to justify it. Just an opinion, but it often looks like those sites are very biased against us, and have some axe to grind against honest working people.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Graham, I'm no engineer, but I think this must explain the problem. Looks like a 20 ohm output was used which recorded the gain at 59.2dB instead of 62dB. I actually thought they might have been testing an older version of the Reflex C because the gain didn't match current specs. Looks like it was just tested wrong.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know that was one of his measurements/complaints before I wrote

https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/the-audio-science-review-forum_topic4993_post66229.html#66229 - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/the-audio-science-review-forum_topic4993_post66229.html#66229

I never visited his website and I don't recall you telling me about this.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:05pm
@ David, I'm interested in his suggestion that the Reflex C has a rumble filter, according to John C. As I refuse to be wound-up by ASR, I won't go along myself to look. Like most people my age I have to consider my blood pressure.

John C mentioned something about the FFT which allegedly illustrates a peak in the response due to the "rumble filter". Can you explain this for me?

PS: you may not be an engineer but you're good at the maths!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know that was one of his measurements/complaints before I wrote

https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/the-audio-science-review-forum_topic4993_post66229.html#66229 - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/the-audio-science-review-forum_topic4993_post66229.html#66229

I never visited his website and I don't recall you telling me about this.

Right, this confused me at first but now that you have explained the output from the analyzer was wrong I understand, or at least well enough for a layman. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:18pm

@ David, I'm interested in his suggestion that the Reflex C has a rumble filter, according to John C. As I refuse to be wound-up by ASR, I won't go along myself to look. Like most people my age I have to consider my blood pressure.

John C mentioned something about the FFT which allegedly illustrates a peak in the response due to the "rumble filter". Can you explain this for me?

PS: you may not be an engineer but you're good at the maths!

His frequency response test (inverse RIAA test tones?) shows a "hump" of 0.5dB from around 30Hz to 50Hz, which gradually tapers off before showing a very accurate RIAA curve response. Amir calls that a "bass boost" and concludes it is due to a high pass rumble filter. 

Having read your previous posts on not liking rumble filters this obviously has me confused. 

Re: Amir's complaints, it seems his main complaints were the overload margin, which he assumes is too small and will exaggerate clicks and pops, and the mains noise and general distortion. I will conclude that the latter is due to the wrong input on his analyzer as you explained above. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
it also proves the point that he has never listened to one.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

it also proves the point that he has never listened to one.

He doesn't like vinyl AFAIK and does not even own a turntable AFAIK. His forte is mainly digital audio, again, AFAIK. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:58pm
So it is likely to be a completely unbiased review then?

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

So it is likely to be a completely unbiased review then?

Given that he made a measurement error, if it were my site (which it is not), I would take down any phono preamp review that's been done to date until things can be remeasured properly.

Leaving up bad info does no one any favors. I doubt this will happen though. 

IMHO, the site grew too quickly and he ended up with piles of equipment to measure. Rushing through it all, combined with his lack of familiarity with measuring phono preamps, means you end up with mistakes. 

That's my 2 cents on the situation. 

And yeah the peanut gallery there needs much better moderation. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:36pm
From my own tinkering and taking lots of things apart I learned that not needing all the parts to put it back together doesn't make you cleverer than the manufacturer. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and I have certainly had that 'doh!' moment quite a few times.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:27pm
This kind of misinformation happen too often on audio related web site or on Youtube. The worst is nobody can't do anything about it. Before publishing something, people should double (triple!) check. They should also identify potential shortcoming (Hey! I'm not used to test these components :P). And finally, they should also think about the possible consequences of what they report. 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:11am
+0.5dB, is that all? I'm over the moon with that!

+0.5dB at 40Hz, it should be 17.8dB up, so that makes it 18.3dB up.

Add the gain of 62dB, and the gain at 40Hz should be 79.8dB, but it's 80.3dB. What's that in linear gain?

It should be 9,772.37221, but it's 10,351.42167.

( 10,351.42167 / 9,772.37221) - 1 = 0.059 or 6%. That's 6% out at a frequency where it's hardest to hear any difference at all. 6% out right next to the low-frequency extreme!

1dB is the quietest difference in sound level that can be reliably noticed and is usually tested at mid frequencies where the ear has sufficient sensitivity. 0.5dB at 40Hz will never be heard even in a double-blind test.

This is analogue circuitry, not digital. I'll repeat that linear gain; 10,351.42167. Cumulative error built up in a resistor-capacitor network. Was it same in both channels? He doesn't say. If identical, then I'm even more over the moon!

Does he call +0.5dB bass boost? The RIAA standard allows 2dB end to end. With the amplification required for MC, most knowledgeable users would be in hysterics by now.

OK, so he reckons that 0.5dB of error proves the inclusion of a rumble filter?

No, there is an input capacitor to block the bias current from polarising the cartridge. It has its own high pass turnover, which will always interact with any nearby filter pole. Below the 20Hz low end of the RIAA spec, the frequency response goes back down, but it doesn't attempt to remove rumble and warp frequencies. It will do a darned sight better than a DC-coupled input, which would continue gain where it is least wanted, and displace the cantilever.

If this was the analogue output of a digital player, then an 0.5dB error could be called sloppy because there is either unity signal gain or maybe 8dB at the most. Contrast that with the Reflex C circuit at 80dB gain, and that's bloody-good control!

We are assuming his inverse RIAA response is accurate. When we got our APX525, James Kelly told us they didn't do any RIAA presets. Maybe that's different now? If not, then the inverse RIAA has to be a third party. Still, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But there is one glaring error I've not thrown in yet, and that's the -3dB loading on the AP's generator. Might be sufficient to result in the 0.5dB.

Either way, I'm happy, and I stand by my products' quality. Mr. Amir, you could have asked; I'm an easy-going decent sort of a guy. Instead, you decided you knew it all. Poor judgment?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 1:56am
I know I would not be able to hear half a db of difference in the bass region. 

I figured he was dead wrong about the rumble filter. Thanks for explaining all this. 

-------------

Posted By: Bags
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:42pm
FWIW, you may have seen the thread I started on Class D Amplification.

Having borrowed the loaner propriuses and been impressed I wanted to listen to a modern class D amplifier to see what one sounded like before I parted with what for me is a sizeable sum.

I managed to borrow a power amp that impressed the folk on ASR for a couple of weeks.  To be fair to it, in stereo power amp form it cost significantly less than a pair of Propriuses.  Plus points were a very low noise floor, excellent dynamic range and good control of the bass.  Negative points were a thin and wirey treble and mid range and flat, almost 2d imaging on all the sets of speakers I tried it with.  

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:56pm
Continuation from previous post...

Worse still from the same sources it presented a fraction of the detail presented with such clarity by the propriuses.  In that respect it was also trumped by a twenty year old marantz amp I bought on eBay to tide me over when my last decent amp died.

Clearly there seems more to measuring the performance of an amplifier than applying some test tones and some measuring equipment to it.

I know I have middle aged ears which may be not as good as they were and are possibly used to listening to inaccurate amplifiers but they listen to live music which sounds much more like what I hear from the marantz and the propriuses than the beautifully measuring class D amp.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 6:30am
Have a listen to this. 

https://darko.audio/2021/04/podcast-jonathan-novick-audio-precision-aes-cta-on-measuring-audio-gear/ - https://darko.audio/2021/04/podcast-jonathan-novick-audio-precision-aes-cta-on-measuring-audio-gear/

Cheers,
Mick

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Have a listen to this. 

https://darko.audio/2021/04/podcast-jonathan-novick-audio-precision-aes-cta-on-measuring-audio-gear/ - https://darko.audio/2021/04/podcast-jonathan-novick-audio-precision-aes-cta-on-measuring-audio-gear/

Cheers,
Mick

It's not every day you see the same AP we use

APX525 image by Darko

(image courtesy Mr Darko's website)

Now getting on for £15,000 (plus VAT), it cannot tell you how the D.U.T. is going to sound!

By the way, neither can it tell you anything without having a rather powerful PC connected to it, running AP's software.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 9:38am
Thanks Mick.

Interesting video.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 10:01am
James Kelly

Audio Precision's James Kelly (ex head of testing at IAG) demoing the audio analyser options to us in our test department around seven years ago.

Already on our test shelf is an ATS-1A, and James is demonstrating the AP-2700 against the APX525, by measuring our Majestic pre-DAC in both analogue and digital domains.

The ATS-1A now serves as the 100% production analyser in John's workshop, while the APX525 serves as R&D analyser in my workshop, and is sometimes called on to put Majestics and Bitzies through their paces.

John and I have been using audio analysers since 1989 when Neutrik Liechtenstein made a 'big' analogue analyser. We also used Lindos and WK analysers at YRN. The WK (https://www.waynekerrtest.com/history.php) retired to my workshop in the late 90s and was used in 100% testing of my first products, 1999 to 2006, when the ATS-1A took over testing duties. Whereas the ATS-1A requires recalibration, the APX525 is self calibrating through software.

Along with Audionics' Phil Davies, we've tested a good proportion of the UK's commercial radio stations, BBC analogue desks, as well as projects for Independent Television companies.

I await to hear of the Audio Science Review Forum's equivalent experience.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 10:10am
May as well watch the video here:

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 11:19am
At 38:55 "No one publishes distortion numbers at let's say 1/4 watt output or 1W output"

See my 1970s Design Indulgence topic!

-------------

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:14pm
and

So true,
 But Graham's measurements are honest representations of a device's performance.

AND, he does a sound quality test by playing real music to make sure a unit sounds good.

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:17pm
”I await to hear of the Audio Science Review Forum's equivalent experience.”

You’ll be waiting a long, long time. 

John Darko has interviewed a number of designers on the value of measurements. Every single one has said they can tell you if you’ve made a mistake, but not if the gear actually sounds good. 

Knowing a beer is 4.9% and top fermented won’t tell you enough about how it tastes. Only one way to find that out. 

It’s a similar story with digital transports, be they computers, CD players or streamers. I can’t understand how so many people still think bits are bits are bits. 
Mick

-------------

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 8:43pm
Just finished listening to the conference Graham have posted.  In my opinion, listening to this presentation is mandatory for any audio enthusiast trying to make sense of the hobby on a more 'technical' level. Jonathan Novick put audio specifications in perspective. I just realized that I was really naive about the specification published by magazine or on forum as ASR. He really shows during his presentation how easy it can be to modify test result of an audio analyzer by changing the filter used, the band frequency, and more generally the test condition. Also, the section on the audibility of certain distortion is fascinating. I also loved when he shows the density function of a sinusoidal versus the one for music to explain the audibility of crossover distortion. You just see the distribution of the data in both graph and you understand his point. 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net