Print Page | Close Window

Accession Ordered!

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4990
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession Ordered!
Posted By: Robnpg
Subject: Accession Ordered!
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:14pm
I am so excited. I've ordered the Accession MC version. Now the difficult part is the wait. I used the Revelation M through the loaner program using a Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. I will be moving up to a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze.
I was comparing the Rev to a Sutherland Insight at first, then a Sutherland 20/20. I did not see an improvement with the Insight over the Rev and expected the 20/20 to destroy it. Although I thought the 20/20 gave me more clarity and enjoyment over the Rev, it was only slightly. That made me think 2 things:
1)If the Accession is superior to the Rev, then that must (hopefully) mean that I should be happy with it vs the 20/20.
2)The Accession (with discount and ordering direct) is significantly less expensive than the 20/20. So even if the 20/20 is slightly ahead of the Accession, the difference in price, size, and the ability to adust load settings without removing the cover are all benefits.

Hoping I'm making accurate inferences. I guess i will find out soon enough.
Now, for the wait :)

Replies:
Posted By: VinodCrispon
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:30pm
Hi Rob,
Even more Painful wait is, once John send you the Shipment tracking and suddenly the days get longer than usual. CrySmile
I use my Accession (MM) + Elevator Exp with Cadenza Bronze, It sounds Sublime. As you already know, The burn-in for the phono is another long painful wait. Once its done you will have many more listening hours. 
Looking forward to hear about your experience with the Accession MC.
Congrats on your purchase.

-------------
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 5:55am
I’ve joined the queue! Accession MC ordered and paid for. The Reflex M & EXP combo has been fantastic and I’m very much looking forward to the next step!
And now I wait...
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:23am
Sutherland products are virtually unknown over here in the UK as they don't seem to have
any distribution.
The Accession MC should suit the Cadenza Bronze superbly - it is a great match with the Blue.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: mdnicke2
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:07pm
Mick, have you received your Accession yet? I am very curious to hear about the difference between it and the Reflex.

-------------
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm
Not yet, but in possession of the Australian loan scheme Accession MC. Compared to the Reflex M/Elevator EXP it replaced, it’s got a more expansive soundstage, better dynamics, and more focus. I suspect all of those things are mostly down to the better control and depth in the bass, and the clean midrange. However, it’s also better at showing the difference in recording from record to record. Bright ones sound bright, warm ones sound warm - that’s got to mean more transparency to the source and less of imposing its own sound on everything. 
But, how much is that down to one less box and one less pair of interconnects? It’s been in for a week now and really sounded nothing like itself for the first four days. Indeed, when first plugged in it had no bass, a thick midrange and no treble extension! It’s why the loan scheme is so great, I suppose. 
This unit has a PSU1, so I’m looking forward to learning what the Enigma will bring. But honestly, since day four, I’m just listening to music in a really happy fashion. Accession MC straight into the Proprius monoblocks, on to the PMC’s. Fantastic colour, dynamics and transparency. 
Music comes out. What more could you ask for?
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: mdnicke2
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:43am
Awesome, Mick! Thanks for that updated. I am definitely excited to hear what the Enigma brings to the table.

-------------
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:26am
Hi All,
   Accession MC now located on my hifi rack! Thanks to @cheekyboy of the Australian loan scheme, and to the snowed-under John for building such a terrific unit. Cold out of the box it sounds very bloody good, so bring on any burn-in improvement that may come!
Mick.

-------------

Posted By: Pushpaw
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:19am
I get to count myself a part of the club. Accession MM ordered! It’s used, has a ding on it, but seller says works great. It comes with PSU1 but I already have an Enigma. Cost was about as much as I paid for my Reflex M new from a dealer, so I might be able to recover quite a bit of the funds by selling the Reflex...if I can part with it. I might want to keep it for my second TT. 

Excited! Did not expect to upgrade so soon but when a good deal comes along you have to jump. 

-------------
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:44am
Congrats! I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm
received the Accession MM four days ago now. This is used and owned for 3 years so I assumed would be fully broken in and I would just need to plug it in and play for the full Accession experience. I was in for a surprise as for the first two days the Accession sounded good but I preferred my Reflex M with PSU1 over the Accession with Enigma in every comparison I did. I was getting worried. The Reflex sounded just as nice and also had a wider soundstage. I wondered if I was encountering a bad match with my headphones (HD6XX)? 

On the third night (last night) I had another listening session using a lot of the same records as the previous night. This time, I preferred the Accession. The soundstage has bloomed and although I think the Reflex might still have had a slightly  wider soundstage in horizontal direction, the Accession’s soundstage was “round” as in tall and wide. It was a new experience to have a soundstage like that. All of a sudden, the Reflex sound seemed a bit flat, or squished- not something I would have thought before hearing the alternative. 

In addition to the expanded soundstage, there was more realism in the instruments and voices, and more impact when bass or drums were present. 

I will say that this comparison has shown me how good the Reflex M is. The sound quality is superb. But the Accession was named for being top dog and after it had three days to warm up, it has started to show its superiority. I can only guess it will improve further. 

I would not have expected it to take so long for a broken in unit to sound how it should. Break in and warm up are mysterious to me. It made me recall something I read Steve Hoffman say on the subject: that it can take 30 days for some solid state equipment to warm up to ideal temperature. 

Also, when I got the Accession (which was FedExed from the US to Canada) it was quite cold to the touch. Maybe things got too cold and it needed that time to warm up. 

-------------
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
I disagree about thermal temperature being the (main) reason for the change; I think it is more about energy stored in the circuits. Electronic components need on-time for their charge to stabilise. Previously used circuits with a long history of on-time need less on-time than brand new circuits to return to their optimum state. Charge behaviour in the circuit determines the propagation of electromagnetic waves which directly influences how the signal is conveyed to the listener.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 6:50pm
ok maybe should say it took 3 days to “charge up”? All I know is the thing had to be plugged in for 3 days to start sounding as it should. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
That is how I look at it. Thermal temperature stabilises pretty quickly once switched on. Reaching charge stability is much more prolonged and subtle process. I would be interested to read the ideas on this topic from people who are much better educated/informed to speak than I am.

-------------

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 10:38am
"Look dude, if you make all these crystals and substances work really well together, this record will sound great"

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:33pm
Where can I get one of those crystals? I’ll remortgage my house for it if it just deepens the bass a little and clarifies the high frequency response. My wife won’t be able to tell, but I will darn it!

-------------

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

"Look dude, if you make all these crystals and substances work really well together, this record will sound great"

The bag of silicon crystals are in the magicians' hand.

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Pushpaw Pushpaw wrote:

Where can I get one of those crystals? I’ll remortgage my house for it if it just deepens the bass a little and clarifies the high frequency response. My wife won’t be able to tell, but I will darn it!

Do you really mean that? Evil SmileWink

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
Seriously though, is there any truth to what I have suggested Graham or do you think the explanation lies elsewhere?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Seriously though, is there any truth to what I have suggested Graham or do you think the explanation lies elsewhere?

Time for a Capacitor to Charge= 5RC

(to 99%)

But that ain't necessarily so.

It's around 47 years since I bought that album, and I'm still learning.

"Although solid-state amplifiers have been around for some 40 years, it would be a great mistake to assume that everything possible is known about them." (Doug Self, 2009)

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 6:17pm
Hmmm, five half-lives but inverted??

50 + 25 + 12.5 + 6.25 + 3.125 = approx. 97%

Sorry, I wasn't able to derive it with algebra.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by Pushpaw Pushpaw wrote:

Do you really mean that? Evil SmileWink

Ha, the problem is there's a part of me that does mean it. I have a sickness. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Try that K240 Studio everyone is praising against your HD6X0. Should highlight the differences between Reflex and Accession with even more clarity.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Try that K240 Studio everyone is praising against your HD6X0. Should highlight the differences between Reflex and Accession with even more clarity.

I'll look into them.

Any idea how the Massdrop K7XX are? There's a set for sale that I could probably get. I don't really know how I will mesh with the AKG sound. I understand highs are more present but maybe I'm wrong on that?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
Sorry, I don't know how they sound as I haven't used them. I am far from a headphone expert. I suggest the K240 Studio because it's less than 50 quid so it's a low risk investment. The MKII version with velvet pads might be more comfortable. I don't think you can always attribute a certain type of sound signature to a manufacturer/brand. There are sometimes exceptions.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:17pm
Update: Accession MM reached another level of performance last night. I know the sound is good when I stop caring about sound quality and the music is just there, washing over me. Also, not sure if this is Accession or me but I have found that suddenly I don’t need to listen at as high a volume. The music is very present and clear at a lower volume. This isn’t something where I deliberately decided to set volume lower because I felt it was too high. I just don’t need it as high now. Strange. 

In any case, the sound is phenomenal. I find especially pleasing with acoustic instruments, including acoustic guitar/vocal, classical, and jazz. It excels with every musical style though. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:33pm
I should add that’s about 1 week into Accession being plugged in. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:31am
Re lower volume required - experience has been that this is to do with a greatly reduced noise floor, so you’re not battling noise and distortion to hear detail. It’s a wonderful thing to have musical impact and presence at lower levels.
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 4:03am
I have to agree Mick. I would almost say the sound stage not only is tall and wide but it creeps in toward the ears. The sound is closer than I have experienced before. It also has a beautiful smooth quality that I would almost call an aura. My ears like it very much, and it has a consistent emotional impact too. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net