Print Page | Close Window

Advice on pairing MM cart with Assession

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: Buying a headphone amp, phono preamp or hi-fi accessory?
Forum Description: Find what you're looking for here! Links to our websites and more...
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4904
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Advice on pairing MM cart with Assession
Posted By: ldominick
Subject: Advice on pairing MM cart with Assession
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:12am
Hi gentlemen, I'm a new member and working on upgrading my phono system. I have a Rega P9 turntable with the RB1000 tonearm that I'm pretty happy with. I am planning to upgrade my phono preamp to the Assesssion. I haven't purchased a cartridge in years and am looking for advice for a good match with my "new" system. I'm trying to keep the cart budget under $1k (MM).  Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:03am
It seems that many people are happy with the Hana range and they’ve got a bit of a reputation for value for money. Personally, I very much enjoyed my time with the Ortofon 2M Black and Bronze. I’m sure there are plenty of other recommendations, too. Good luck!
Mick

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 7:39am
Hana are MC, but a High Output Hana May well work.
For a good MM cartridge, you have the Ortofon 2M range, the Audio Technica VM750SH, VM760SLC , Nagaoka MP500 and the Audionote IQ, as well as many others.

It is difficult to suggest which cartridge may be best, as synergy with your system and personal preference need to be taken into consideration.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:13am
Hi,
To the good suggestions already add the MusicMaker 3.
I ran one in a P9/RB1000 successfully for a few years. The RB1000 was at the time the only Rega arm the cartridge maker was happy with for the MM3.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:07pm
I use a Hana SH with an Accession MM after a couple of years of Ortofon 2M black use.

For me the Hana is more enjoyable and less stark than the 2m Black which I started to find wearing.

I think Chris is another Hana user, but I cannot remember what with.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:45pm
Mine's a Hana SH too Smile
It's lovely detailed cart, with a nicely balanced neutral sound.

Posted By: Robnpg
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:33pm
Assuming you want to stray away from the Rega Carts? When I had a Rega, I loved how their carts paired with their tables. Plug and play was so simple :)

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm
Very late addition from me. I had a P3-24 some years back and liked the plug and play of the three screw cartridge fittings. I went up to an Exact (about £190 back then) which was pretty good but then tried other cartridges and I would argue you can do more with the Rega tonearm. I liked it with a Goldring 1042 and then a Musicmaker III if that is any help.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: dashingcarter
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:05am
I have a Rega Planar 3(2016) and recently changed my Cartridge to an Goldring 2500 MM and absolutely love it.I auditioned Ortofon 2m Bronze/2M black, Nagaoka and AT cartridges on similar kind of setup as mine before deciding on the Goldring.

I would recommend that you listen to some cartridges before you settle on one as all of them have different sound signatures and sound is personal taste.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 3:39pm
I have the Ortofon 2M Bronze and I find it works OK in my system but my speakers are on the warm side Why I say this is some find the 2M range on the bright side, as it's said that Ortofon designed it to make it sound more like CDs kind of sound quality. Hope that makes sense to you!!
My turntable came with the Silver 2M made for Pro- j so I am getting more of the same with the bronze, again hope that makes sense.
Trying before you buy is not a option for me as there is no where that will let me do this where I live so I stayed with what I knew, But I'm happy with it.
Hope that this helps you in some way in making your choice of cartridge easier 

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: VinodCrispon
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:38am
My Last MM Cart was the Ortofon 2M Black on my Musichall MMF 5.1 Turntable paired with the Accession + PSU1. It sounded great in my set-up and gave me loads of happy listening hours. 
The Ortofon had a kind of Sharp tone when I was using my stock Metal platter, Later when I switched over to the Acrylic Platter the sonic sharpness was sorted. 
Note: Musichall Turntables are just re branded Project Turntables. 

-------------
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:49pm
Good tip about trying a different platter to fine tune the sound!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: VinodCrispon
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:23pm
Yes, I was lucky my first investment (Acrylic platter) worked-out good for me. Especially I did not want to start the rolling play with different Mats. The TT weights / Clamp also helped me in the fine tuning. 

-------------
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Posted By: mdnicke2
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:36am
Any thoughts on pairing with Sumiko Moonstone or Amythest?

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by mdnicke2 mdnicke2 wrote:

Any thoughts on pairing with Sumiko Moonstone or Amythest?

It should work fine with the vast majority of hi-fi MM carts on the market. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: mdnicke2
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:54am
Great! Thank you for your input!

-------------
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net