Print Page | Close Window

Cartridge recommendation?

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: MM: Moving Magnet | MC: Moving Coil
Forum Description: Learn about the differences between moving magnet and moving coil cartridges here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4885
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 5:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cartridge recommendation?
Posted By: CageyH
Subject: Cartridge recommendation?
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:05pm
I have a significant birthday comingg up, and the wife has asked what I want as a present.
I have been struggling to think of something if I am honest, but I have always wondered what a decent cartridge would sound like in my system.

As such, what cartridges do people have experience that sound really good? I have no preference about MM/MC, and I have a few good MMs such as the AT20SLa, EPC-205, AT150mlx etc. I have a couple of MCs as well, such as the SAE1000LT, AT33PTG/II, EPC310MC and a modified Denon DL-103 with Shibata tip.

I am after something that works well with Rock etc. So it needs to have good dynamic swing. I don’t want to spend more than £1k as it seems like a large chunk of money, for possibly a small performance increase. And the last sentence is part 5he reason I am not sure I want to go down that road.

What are people’s experiences of the cartridge upgrade path?
Will my money be better spent elsewhere?

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Replies:
Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:14pm
I recently upgrade from the Clearaudio Virtuoso V1 to Maestro V2 and it's the best upgrade I have made by far.

https://elusivedisc.com/clearaudio-maestro-v2-ebony-wood-mm-cartridge-3-6mv/ - https://elusivedisc.com/clearaudio-maestro-v2-ebony-wood-mm-cartridge-3-6mv/

As a caveat this is the first time I have made a change to my cartridge so experience is limited.

Good Luck !

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 3:48am
Hi Kevin,
   If you’re running a Rega arm, the Ania MC is a delightful match. I use the Apheta2 but have decent experience with the Ania as well. If you want to rock...
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 5:19am
Thanks. I am running a Funk Firm FX-1200, which has been upgraded to the latest F.X arm tube.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
I have gone for a left field choice of a used Cartridge Man Music Maker Classic.
I have always wanted to try one, and one popped up recently, so I have taken the plunge.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm
Super cartridge, great match with a ReflexM or AccM.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:16pm
Both are out on loan, so I will have to put up with my own phonostage.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Super cartridge, great match with a ReflexM or AccM.

According to one review I read, it appears that Mr Gregory used a Reflex M during the development of the cartridge.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:29am
Len Gregory is a very honest & genuine chap who tells it how it is.
GSP phono stages are I believe his favoured solid state recommendations.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:51am
Well, I am looking forward to hearing it, if it is able to be delivered amongst the COVID-19 lock down in France.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:44pm
I found VTA quite critical when setting up the Classic (with the HiFi News test LP) & had the arm slightly tail down at the pillar end with tracking force at 1.6g.
Good luck - we all need a bit these days.Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 4:40pm
 Thanks. I am hoping it arrives soon so I get a chance to hear it while working from home.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:41am
It arrived yesterday.
I have fitted it, and have to say I am happy with this cartridge. It seems to be a good compromise between MC and MM, and just gets on playing the music with great tone, good dynamics and instrument spacing.

I need to live with it a bit longer to see if it is a keeper, and if so, start thinking about thinning down my cartridge collection a bit.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:00am
Did you get the isolator unit with it Kevin?
It glues on top of the cartridge & is designed to isolate it from the tonearm ...& everything else.
LG is very keen on it but I found the cartridge wires tended to pull the azimuth out a bit.
If you don't have one & want to try it I think I might have a spare.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Yes, I got the isolator with it thanks. It is a tad large, and I am not 100% sure I need it with my Funk F.X arm tube if I am honest. I have dressed the wires carefully, making sure they are not pulling.
I have the arm set slightly tail down, as this seemed to be the best sounding position to my ears.

It is a nice cartridge and I am really not sure it is worth me getting an ART-9 now. It will sound different, sure, but will it be much better?

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:00pm
The Classic is a very nice cart. I had mine upgraded to the MusicMaster by Mr. Gregory a couple of years ago & this is an upgrade path worth considering in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm
I have already contacted him to see what options I have, and what the approximate costs are, but I am not sure the enquiry form on his website worked properly. I will give it a few days before I try again, as I am in no rush.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 3:53pm
The upgrade is £1,150.
Is it really worth it? What I mean is does it give a substantial improvement in performance.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Good question.
It is better than the Classic - better tracking, more detail & stronger imaging etc,
but value is highly subjective with these things.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
Thanks for the response.
To put this into perspective, I bought the Classic for £300.

For £1k, I could get myself something like an IQ3, and have replaceable styli.
I could also get an ART-9.
I could also do nothing....

The biggest issue is that it is nearly impossible to hear these things before you buy them.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Good question.
It is better than the Classic - better tracking, more detail & stronger imaging etc,
but value is highly subjective with these things.

Out of interest Rich, what cartridges have you compared the MusicMaster to?
I am contemplating the upgrade at the end of April, if I do it.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:36am
Not that many Kevin - the Ortofon Cadenza Blue, which is a superbly detailed MC but can
sound a touch bright in the wrong system. It suits the Audiomods 6 arm & Elevator/ReflexM 
pair really well.
The AN IQ3 is a serious contender too I have to say.
Good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:27am
Thanks again for the feedback.
More investigation is required, and when this COVID-19 is over, I may see if I can get a bit of a bake off with a few cartridges to narrow the choices down.

My other option is to just enjoy what I have for the time being, and stop chasing the next upgrade.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:41pm
I think I have decided that a new set of speakers will be more beneficial than a small improvement a cartridge would give me.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: MS61
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Thank you very much, gentlemens! Very interesting thread for undecided newcomer. I just closed my loan (thx, Kevin!) and realized that I "need" not only new phono pre. :-) GS Accession is very fine but needs good companion. I believe AN IQ3 is more than serious contender. Audio Note wrote IQ is in stock and "will indeed work well in your ATP-12T tonearm." I´m looking forward to real price quatation by Czech distributor.

Michal

-------------
Technics SP15 / Audiomods 6 / SH-15B3 plinth / Audio Technica AT 150 Sa / Accession M / Genelec 8030 + RME ADI-2 Pro ADDA

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:45pm
Speakers! Tremendous! Any ideas so far? Plenty of PMC lovers around here - they really seem to love being driven by my Proprius pair. Keep us posted!
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:48pm
I am thinking Triangle Antal EZ.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:07am
Oh, nice! I’ve always admired their accuracy to tone colour and way with voices. Sadly, no decent dealers anywhere near me, so they couldn’t be a part of my last audition process. The few times I’ve heard that brand, I’ve Ben super impressed with their ability to give me loads of detail as to what the musicians are doing on a micro level.
Enjoy!
Mick. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:16am
I just need to convince the wife.
I am not sure I will be able to sell my current speakers here easily or not, but I will need to try.

That will free up the cash for me to build myself another, more powerful amp to really get them going.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I think I have decided that a new set of speakers will be more beneficial than a small improvement a cartridge would give me.

The MM Classic cost over £1K when current not so long ago  - not  a cheap cart by any stretch, & will require a fair bit of outlay to noticeably improve on.
I think that the IQ3 & the Cadenza Blue are better trackers - especially at side ends, but overall the Classic is a super cart.
All the best.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:59am
I ordered the speakers yesterday, as I am not allowed to go and pick them up.
I hope this was the right decision, but I have a 14 day trial period to see if these work in my room.
I am lucky in that I have the “European Loan Scheme Toy Box” at my disposal, so I can try a set of Proprius if my current amps do not work.

I will also be trying my different cartridges out with the new speakers to see which works best. I may as well, as we are not allowed off the property unless we have a good reason. Gendarmes are stopping people to validate the reasons why they are out and about.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:59pm
To close this thread, the Triangle Antal EZ were delivered this morning.
Carrying a 32kg box up two flights of stairs, twice, was fun.

It is now done. The speakers are installed and bedding in. Apparently they will need 150 hours to loosen up properly. They have had 4 so far, at low volume as I am working from home, as is the wife.
I am happy with the tone and detail with them so far. I hope they settle in quickly.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 1:03am
Congratulations!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
The Accession M has just come back from a loan safely (Thanks Michal).
I decided to set up a minimalist system, with the Accession M feeding my DIY amps directly. It sounds pretty good, but the Accession needs to warm up properly.

The Music Maker Classic was developed using the Reflex M (apparently), so it should also sound on the Accession.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:34am
Am I mad in thinking about selling my MusicMaker Classic to help fund an ART-9?

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: vinyljunki
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Bit late to the party, however I find the Sumiko Blackbird a very good cart. Its an MC cartridge that can be bought as Low or High Output, so doesnt matter if you have a MC or MM GS stage :-)

The only downside is that the prices of these have nearly doubled over the past 3 for years....and im not sure why

Posted By: Singlemania
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
Difficult to recommend to someone who already has a fantastic array of cartridges. My favourite cartridges have always been by Supex. I think there is a signature sound that I’ve found in A&R, Shure M91, ATOC9, Garrott P66, Victor MC2, Grado Ref CMZ. Like you I could only justify spending up to £1K and settled on a Koetsu Black. It has that signature sound but more enjoyable than anything I’ve previously tried.

-------------
Systemdek/RB250+MichellTechno/ Origin Live Advanced DC/Crimson610/GSP Communicator+PSU1/SugdenP51 Mono Pair/ Linn Kan Mk1

Posted By: Teesside Tom
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:42am
Hi Keith, currently I have an Audio Note mm IQ3 which has a Titanium cantilever and the same tip as the Audio Note IO1 mc cartridge which is about £3K I think. There is a very good manufacturer replacement / refurbish arrangement if need be as the front end is detachable. 
Before that I had an Ortofon 2M Black another good cartridge and only changed it because I carelessly managed to bend the cantilever. Ortofon also do a replacement arrangement but the repair is not far off a new one hence my IQ3. There is now a replacement for the 2M Black you may want to check that out.

I am happy with the IQ3 but am reluctant to give a definitely buy this recommendation as different systems / rooms etc can give different sounds. What I can say is a recent loan of an Accession MM and Enigma power supply made a big difference and I note you have an Accession mm. Hope this helps.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:48pm
Tom
You say there is a replacement for the 2M black. Just had a look, Do you know what it is called? I don't seem to fine anything about it.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:51pm
I have just found it "2M Black LVB 250"

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:05pm
Tom 
I see what you mean about replacement price, It's only £70 more to buy a whole new cart (Bronze)

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:28am
Just to update this thread slightly, I did indeed buy the Antal EZ. Still happy with them.
I also sold my modified DL-103, as I think it was too heavy for the FX1200. I also sold my EPC305 as the P mount did not work that well with the FX1200.

The cash I got from these helped me buy a Dynavector XX2 MkII. This is a superb cartridge, which I thoroughly enjoy, but is kept for “Sunday best”. I heard one in a friends system, and was something I always wanted, however, I could not justify the cost. I found a low hours cartridge at a U.K. dealer.

So now, I am in a position where I have enough cartridges to last me a while, from my cheap Frankencarts (modified AT95s) to the rather splendid XX2. The modified AT95 sounds great, and is a cartridge I could live with, and the replacement cost is very reasonable. So if visitors with small kids come, this gets fitted, as you never know when accidents can happen. Currently doing the honours though, is the EPC-U205 with the Jico SAS/B stylus. A great combination.

What I have found (most are already well known) during my search for a better cartridge:

1. The law of diminishing returns kicks in quite quickly. 
2. The stylus profile can make quite a difference to the sound, but it needs to set up well to get the most out of it. Slight differences in setup can give big changes when using more complex profiles.
3. MCs are not always better, in my opinion. VFM certainly takes a big hit. As easy stylus replacement is not possible, the cost of ownership can be quite high.
4. There are plenty of older MM cartridges available at reasonable prices that have very good after market/original styli available, and these should not be over looked. Prices do seem to be on the increase recently though.
5. It is important to match the cartridge with the arm and phono stage.
6. Being in the right place at the right time can yield some serious bargains.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 2:03pm
Good points Kevin.
Regarding your second point,  I recently reinstalled an IQ3 MM and had occasional, but noticeable  mistracking on one or two LPs - mainly thick 180g. 
The mistracking was cured by raising the arm at the pillar a few mm. The Series 6 micrometer
height adjustment makes this simple.
The IQ3, in conjunction with the Accession MM, is now sounding exceptional
Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:11pm
The IQ3 was always on my list of cartridges I would like to try. Unfortunately, it will be staying on that list. The last few years have seen a fair bit of HiFi expenditure, and now it is time to sit back and enjoy the results.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:41pm
Kevin
I maybe looking at getting a technics turntable some time next year but this all depends on overtime but there is no guarantee on overtime so this maybe a vary long wait and I have said this before some times you need to just sit back and enjoy what you have. Just like you said, sit back and enjoy the results "of your past expenditure"

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:50pm
I have reduced my potential expense by being handy with a soldering iron, and building myself a power amplifier, and a valve based phono stage. I may build a pre amp soon, but I am in no rush….

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:14pm
I wish I was capable of doing that

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:16pm
It's worth trying and then practice makes better.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 7:02am
The guys here even sell a kit. They make great lockdown projects.

-------------
Kevin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net