Print Page | Close Window

New Member / Loaner

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4853
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Member / Loaner
Posted By: davidbenson
Subject: New Member / Loaner
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:40pm
Hi There,

New to the forum and getting back into vinyl after 20 years. Sad story but my collection was stolen and I replaced them with CDs...utter fool!

I must say I a blown away by this whole loaner thing. I am not used to "great ideas", "customer service" and "fair auditions" in the hifi world. Totally new experience.

Getting back into vinyl I am looking for a great phono stage to go with a Rega Planer 8 (maybe 10)+ Apheta 3. While the Aria gets great reviews I would much rather all of the £ go towards the MC stage rather than have an MC with a redundant MM stage in the box. 

Net net I would love to audition the Accession MC with decks at the dealer. I am auditioning the decks in 2 weeks and wanted to ask if you are OK for me to take to loaner to the demo to audition vs and Aria? Is that even possible given the warm up time. I.e could I plug the accession in for a week at home them drive to the dealer with it.

If it is, I am happy to give a detailed side be side review to satisfy the curiosity of the forum.

Replies:
Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:37pm
As long as the loan item gets returned to the coordinator within a reasonable time, unbroken, then take it where you want.

It is worth mentioning though that dealers will have chosen synergistic components to go with the products they promote, which might not be favourable towards our products. Having said that, I am quite happy for my designs to be auditioned against any similar product.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 12:09pm
Hi David,
   I’m using the RP8/Apheta2 with a Reflex M and Elevator EXP. Magic. Unfortunately I need to wait for my 50th for an Accession! However, when I ran a 2M Black with the Reflex M, I borrowed an Accession through the loan scheme. For me, in my system, it was easily enough to convince me to start saving. Then I went MC, so that put a dent in the savings. Still, one day!

When auditioning turntables I took my Reflex M to the local-ish Rega dealer, and he was happy for me to swap it out for the Aria. After all, I wanted to try it with my gear. Again, for me, I much preferred the Reflex M. The Aria was totally gorgeous - warm, round, rich, seductive. On every album. Really brilliant.  But then the Reflex (plugged in at 8.30am, then I had a day out in the city, started listening at 3pm), let each album sound like itself. Rubber Soul shouldn’t sound like Blood Sugar Sex Magic or Milstein playing Tchaikovsky, and DEFINITELY not like Sinatra. Through the Reflex each album had its own sound world. The Aria made them a tad homogenous in comparison.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I tend to have Hi-Fi reviewers that I like and agree with, and ones I don’t. The list of ones I agree with is short. I find that Roy Gregory (foundation editor of Hifi+) likes what I like, in music taste and in reproduced sound. He wrote glowingly of the Elevator EXP and the Revelation, which is the review that started me on my Slee journey. He has access to anything he wants, but said at the time he’d be happy to live with that Slee combo. 

Still, why bother believing a hifi journo. We all know they’re corrupt and only out to sell advertising space, right? Good thing you don’t have to listen to ANYONE ELSE, because you can indulge in the loan scheme. Don’t believe me. Don’t believe Mr Gregory.

Listen for yourself.
All the best,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net