Print Page | Close Window

Another new member

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4849
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Another new member
Posted By: DT999
Subject: Another new member
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 6:00am
G'day from Australia, I have just joined so thought I'd introduce myself and give a bit of my background and system.

I moved to Australia about 12 years ago but grew up in London. Although no longer my profession, after leaving school I completed my apprenticeship with Rolls Royce as an aircraft engineer, so I have an appreciation of quality engineering and being able to maintain and repair rather than throw away and replace.

I do like to tinker, but more on the mechanical side as I don't know much about electronics.

Like many I converted to the new medium of CD in the mid eighties and vinyl went by the wayside. I didn't bring any vinyl to Australia when I migrated, and have only really got back into it in the last few years. I have to say I am enjoying the music again.

In the last few years I have built and played with my system, moving from originally having an Rega RP1 to getting and modding a new P3. I also obtained a vintage Thorens TD 160 mk1, which I have completely renovated including building a new hardwood plinth and doing the "Chadwick mods". I did say I liked tinkering.

I didn't think much about amplification until a while ago when I looked to get a decent amplifier and actually went to audition a number. Fortunately there are a number of decent audio shops in Melbourne only a couple of hours from me. One of them set up their listening room with all of my exact equipment and switched out a number of amps. I was amazed at how much difference I could actually hear just by changing the amp.

Anyway, I have now got to the stage where I have been reading and considering my next 'upgrade'. Some might say that my TT's might be an obvious place to spend money, but I am actually quite happy with the two I have at this time.

So I am now considering a new phono stage as a possible upgrade, And I have been reading a lot about GS hence my joining here. 

So my current system:

On my P3 I use an Ortofon 2M Bronze, I currently run this into a Rega fono mkII into a Rega Elex-R driving a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers.

On the TD 160 I have a Denon DL-110, which I connect directly to the Elex-R phono input.

Anyway, that's me, looking forward to learning more.

Cheers 
Derek

-------------
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers

Replies:
Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:31am
Hi Derek & welcome to the forum,
If you believe some of the comedians on the internet, an amp is an amp & has little bearing on SQ.
A trial of some alternatives is well worth it.Smile

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
Thanks for the welcome Rich, I have to say the demo I had certainly opened my ears to the difference an amp makes, now I have to find out what difference a phono preamp will make Smile

-------------
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
Hi Derek,
You're probably aware of the loan scheme that runs in Australia to allow you try GSP kit in your system
for a couple of weeks. 
FWIW I owned & was very happy with an Era Gold V for many years followed by a then top-of-the-range ReflexM which brought immediately noticeable extra clarity & resolution.
The Accession takes it further still but I still own & enjoy the ReflexM.
Try & get the chance to audition a fewThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:05am
Hi Derek,
  I’ve compared the Fono directly with the Reflex M, and to my ears no contest. Organise a loan so you can hear it in your own system in your own home. I’m positive you’ll be impressed!
Welcome to the forum,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:47am
Rich, I did some research on the loan program in Australia, looks like it is from another audio shop in Melbourne. Now I just have to arrange a trial. 

I have to say one of the things that has impressed me even without hearing the equipment is the ability to free home demo. It speaks volumes about the belief in the product.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:02am
Hi Mick, thanks for the welcome.

Its good to know you have done a direct comparison, I have read your original write up of your experience with the Reflex M and it has certainly made me keen to try it out.

I have to say the Accession looks really good, but I just don't know that I would use the extra features or if the sound alone would justify a significant extra cost. If the Reflex is that good, I should be happy.

I will definitely try them before buying though.

Cheers 
Derek

-------------

Posted By: Scoobydoo
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:28am
Hi Derek, I'm also a new member running  an Elex-r and will be interested in how a Reflex m performs against the on board phono stage of the Elex-r!
I had an old GS Gram Amp 2 that I did an A/B comparison with the onboard PS of the Elex-r a few weeks back. The result was very little difference between the two and therefore sold the GS.
My set up is a Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference TT with Pickering XV-15 cartridget direct to the Elex-r with Rega RX3 speakers.
Kindest regards,
Andy.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
Hi Andy,
I have to say I find the phono stage in the Elex-R to be very good, I can not hear any real difference using the external Fono stage.
I auditioned 7 or 8 amps in the same sort of price bracket many of them well reviewed, but for me and with my gear the Rega just performed better. 
I really don't know what to expect of the Reflex M, but the beauty of a free loaner program means I can try and see for myself before committing.
Not sure when I will be able to get a loaner, I'm away from home for next couple of weeks and not sure if there is a waiting list.
Are you looking at trying one? If so I'd be interested in your view based on your experience with the Gram Amp and whether there is a significant step up.
Cheers
Derek

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:13pm
Im pretty sure the Elex-r actually uses the same circuitry as the Rega fono mm so that's probably why you can't hear much of a difference. Can't remember where I read it but I did somewhere lol.
There is definitely a "synergy" thing going on when you have two or more Rega products connected as with some other brands. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried the Reflex m against an Elex-r. Yes, I think I will try the loaner program prior to deciding.
All the best Derek!
Andy

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:46am
I have just received a loaner Reflex-M today for a home trial. Smile

Now I just have to leave it powered up for a 24 - 48 hours before I can see what it does - have to say I am a little impatient to give it a try!

-------------

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

I have just received a loaner Reflex-M today for a home trial. Smile

Now I just have to leave it powered up for a 24 - 48 hours before I can see what it does - have to say I am a little impatient to give it a try!

Don't wait.
Just start using it Smile

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Hope you enjoy the Reflex. For me it was a game changer. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:30pm
Thanks for joining us and I must say the TD-160 is a really nice turntable to go with your new Reflex.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:11am
OK so I have had my first evening of listening through the Reflex-M and thought I'd give my first impressions, although I am not sure how to articulate exactly what I hear, so take this into account when trying to interpret my descriptions!

The first thing I will say is that the Rega Fono MM stage and built in Elex-R phono stage are very good and I do like my 2M Bronze. Some people refer to this cartridge as being overly analytical and tending on being bright. I find it revealing and can certainly hear a separation of instruments and it has a good stereo image.

So when I switched to the Reflex-M I was not sure what to expect; I will say it was not a "night and day" difference but there was a difference and an improvement but I had to listen to try and work out what it was. It took a lot of listening to really work out what differences I could hear, but the more I listened the more I could determine.

The first thing I noticed was a more even balance across the low, mid and high frequencies. Previously the highs were perhaps a bit more forward, which may have given the impression of the cartridge being bright; this was toned down and I certainly did not have any sense of being fatigued. I had several hours of listening through speakers and later via headphones.

The high frequencies were still there and very well revealed, I could clearly hear cymbals and hi-hat being struck with a nice decay and snare drum was crisp, but they were not so forward, more balanced.

The bass also appeared deeper and fuller. I previously had good articulation and drive in the bass, this was still present but just felt 'richer' for want of a better description. 

The mids appeared more present, and voices really shone through with a smoothness to them; on one track I know that had some sibilance or sharpness to the female vocal, this seemed smoothed out. However I did notice on one record when listening through headphones that the male vocal (Peter Gabriel) was very forward and did cause some fatigue, but it may have been that one record.

The next thing I noticed was the sound stage. As said I had a wide sound stage previously with quite defined stereo imaging, but now the sound stage seemed more 3D. The stereo imaging was still present and there was air around instruments and good separation, but I could now hear more in between the speakers. 

It was as if the separate instruments had consolidated, it sounded more like having the musicians perform together rather than layers of instruments being mixed for the recording. Somehow the playback seemed warmer and more analogue.

I also thought I could hear more into the recording. As I said the 2M Bronze is revealing and I have always heard a lot being extracted from a record, but now I was able to hear a few subtleties I had not heard previously, particularly background or backing vocals and instruments. 

I listened to some live recordings, and there was more of a feeling of being present with the audience rather than just listening to a recording, and in particular with BB King live at Cook County Jail, I could hear more nuances in his fingering, bends and vibrato.

By the time I finished I was convinced there is an improvement using the Reflex-M, but I still have to be sure the differences will justify the potential outlay. I don't mind spending on something that provides an enhancement and value - that is the beauty of a home trial to determine that value to you.

I plan on using the Reflex-M in my system over the next couple of weeks and then switch back to the Rega phono; if I notice a major difference, or just feel that there is something missing when I switch back, that should let me know.

Cheers
Derek

-------------

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:56am
Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

I plan on using the Reflex-M in my system over the next couple of weeks and then switch back to the Rega phono; if I notice a major difference, or just feel that there is something missing when I switch back, that should let me know.
That’s a good plan.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Good write-up Derek & it sounds like you're hearing an improvement with the Reflex.
Yes, going back after a couple of weeks to your old amp will be the clincher.Smile

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:20pm
Thanks Derek for joining us here and sharing your review.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 2:03am
So an update; I did hear a difference when switching back to the Rega Fono and it did appear to be a step backwards.

I received a brand new Reflex M this week; now just waiting for it to Burn-in; although it still sounds good out of the box.

I can certainly recommend the loaner program for anyone considering a GSP product; there is nothing like trying it for yourself in your own system.

Now I just have to save up for another phono stage for my 2nd TT LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:47am
Great review mate, and as you know I had the Reflex M on loan around the same time as you did. My review would have been virtually identical to yours (if only you didn't beat me to writing one! Haha).
Definitely an improvement over the Rega fono!
However, before I bite the bullet, I have just ordered the Accession on the loaner program to compare the three (Rega fono, Reflex M, and Accession mm). I shall report back in a couple of weeks!!

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Scoobydoo Scoobydoo wrote:

Great review mate, and as you know I had the Reflex M on loan around the same time as you did. My review would have been virtually identical to yours (if only you didn't beat me to writing one! Haha).
Definitely an improvement over the Rega fono!
However, before I bite the bullet, I have just ordered the Accession on the loaner program to compare the three (Rega fono, Reflex M, and Accession mm). I shall report back in a couple of weeks!!

Cheers Andy,

I look forward to reading your view of the Accession compared to the Reflex in terms of sound quality; I will be looking for a 2nd phono stage, but all my records are post 1960 and I don't archive so I won't use the extra features on the Accession, so any decision on my next stage would be based only on SQ, and I am very happy with the Reflex

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 6:36am
All of my records are post 60s but believe the accession is still a step up from the Reflex M in terms of sq. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do an a/b/c test as the Reflex has gone back, but I have a pretty good idea where it was in comparison to the Rega.
I want the best possible phono stage as although my current equipment probably won't justify some of these "upgrades" at the moment, I do intend upgrading my cartridge at some point.
Also, in the UK, the assession isn't that much more than the Reflex m when you figure in the cost of the PSU1 (which the assession comes with).
Anyway, I'm pretty damn excited to be testing the assession and will post my observations in a couple of weeks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net