URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4822
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Discovering new music
Posted By: WigglyWoo
Subject: Discovering new music
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:31am
Hi all,

I'd be interested in hearing (no pun intended) on how people go about discovering new music - I tend to use Spotify which is a bit hit and miss but has introduced me to some really interesting artists... I never  had much luck picking stuff up off the radio...  I sometimes take a punt in a secondhand record store, but in general prefer knowing that I'm going to enjoy what I'm buying (rather than just buying for the sake of building up an even bigger music collection).  And of course, this forum itself has some great recommendations :-)

What about everyone else - how do you discover new stuff?  Any tips?

Replies:
Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
Youtube has been my music goldmine for the last 10 years. Bought so many CDs over the years because of it.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Youtube has been my music goldmine for the last 10 years. Bought so many CDs over the years because of it.

Thanks Ash...

What other online sources does everyone use - Amazon recommendations, Discogs, Tidal, Zoon, Apple Genius... any others/preferences?

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:17am
Another vote for YouTube. I also use Tidal every day and I’ve picked up some acts I like that were new to me. Also my kids - they pick up eclectic tastes from school and bring them home.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:11am
The local library used to have quite a large selection of CDs that could be borrowed for a nominal
yearly fee.
Not sure if they still do - must go back & look...
This was a really useful way of trying out music.
Classic FM here in the UK can be a useful way of sampling popular classical.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

The local library used to have quite a large selection of CDs that could be borrowed for a nominal
yearly fee.
Not sure if they still do - must go back & look...
This was a really useful way of trying out music.
Classic FM here in the UK can be a useful way of sampling popular classical.

Reminds me of the days when you could happily spend an afternoon in HMV looking through their collection and trying out music via their listening booths...

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:36am
CD libraries & listening booths are a bit 20th century - like most of my music collection.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 4:35pm

CD libraries & listening booths are a bit 20th century - like most of my music collection.Smile

Here's an interesting question - what's your favourite decade for music, and how (if at all) does that correlate to your age?  I tend to have a preference for early 70s but at the time I would have been a very wee nipper so is it unconscious bias or simply that there was a lot of good music around at that time?

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:57pm
I discover new and "new to me" music a number of ways:

-Recommendations from people whose taste I respect or is similar to mine
-Rateyourmusic.com
-Discogs.com
-Streaming platforms - e.g. Amazon or Tidal
-Bandcamp.com
-Online catalog descriptions
-YouTube

Probably easier than ever to find more music to listen to. I still occasionally buy albums blind based on a strong recommendation. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 11:34am
A few I have come across and/or used,
https://ektoplazm.com/section/free-music - Ektoplazm
https://bandcamp.com/ - Bandcamp
https://www.songlines.co.uk/ - Songlines

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: miT
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
It may depend on what type of music you are into but I have a few ways:

Recommendations on here when I am after specific genres.
Adverts, TV and soundtracks (I find some interesting stuff that way).
Modern Now That's What I Call Music albums for my guilty pleasure pop fix.
Spotify when I want to listen to specific artist's discography or albums before buying (I get it free with my phone contract).
When I am trying to expand my knowledge of specific artists, I will buy a greatest hits compilation and if I like it, move on to their discography. So far that has led me to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Smith, etc., and generally after recommendations on here.

You also asked about favourite decades I believe? I am an '80s baby so enjoy then due to the memories but mainly grew up on my parents' favourite music so will always love the rock'n'roll '50s-'60s.

If I had to pick a specific year, '98 was without doubt my most meaningful. While I discovered the likes of Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, Propellerheads and Big Beat in general, finding that I already knew obscure songs they used as samples in even better "compositions" was really educational from a creativity point of view. That genre also led me to discover subwoofers and so started my Hi-Fi journey.

My tastes are eclectic however so if I like something, I like it. That is probably why the music I was listening to just went from Jimmy Smith to Muse to Norah Jones to James Brown to Mongo Santamaria to Pink Floyd to Sam Cooke to Shostakovich... Try doing that with vinyl! LOL

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

Here's an interesting question - what's your favourite decade for music, and how (if at all) does that correlate to your age?  I tend to have a preference for early 70s but at the time I would have been a very wee nipper so is it unconscious bias or simply that there was a lot of good music around at that time?
The music that was a part of one's life as a youth often tends to stay with you for life.
In my case this includes a lot of classical music as this was played by my parents a great deal.
Also later on Genesis (70's), Rush, Sabbath to name just a few - these bands music still hits home.
Maybe nostalgia plays a big part though...

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:08am

Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

The music that was a part of one's life as a youth often tends to stay with you for life.
In my case this includes a lot of classical music as this was played by my parents a great deal.
Also later on Genesis (70's), Rush, Sabbath to name just a few - these bands music still hits home.
Maybe nostalgia plays a big part though...

My best friend from school was heavily influenced by his elder brother hence can rarely see past Yes and Jethro Tull :-)

-------------
Solo ULDE; Reflex M; Accession MC+Enigma and other tomfoolery...

Posted By: paul_barnett
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:40pm
Generally, I hear new music on BBC R3 or Radio Paradise. and for new live music, I go here: http://www.st-marys-perivale.org.uk/events-001.shtml - http://www.st-marys-perivale.org.uk/events-001.shtml

-------------
Paul

Posted By: Craig75
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm
subscribing to record stores weekly new releases updates - i use juno, honestjons, boomkat in UK keeps me up to date.

I seem to struggle finding things on bandcamp so i subscribe to channels on youtube that feature bandcamp artists and just follow links back.

Discogs - if i like something on a label i will see what else theyve done

Subscribing to dealers on ebay. Theres a good number on there who have consistently interesting selections and properly graded.

If all that fails i will sometimes just ask people in my fav record shop whats good or use their decks to have a listen to their stock and see if anything bites.

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 1:30pm
I was a teenager in the 60's and of course bought Beatles when they first came out but my taste in music is pretty eclectic now.

I suppose that I relate more to the late 60's' rock and roll ( Cream, Peter Green etc) which then led me to explore the blues with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells.

I got interested in Jazz fairly late in life but that has become a dominant source of music for me.

Love Bach especially solo piano pieces, Cello and Lute suites on guitar.

Hardly ever listen to Beatles anymore

Fortunately sources of music are everywhere now and readily available in multiple formats. This is the best of times.

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Posted By: Robnpg
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:48pm
I always say I would like to discover new music, but seldom take the time to do so! :) I need to do much better, especially as I wish to expand my vinyl! :)

Posted By: Andy75
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:11pm
I used to swear by Spotify recommended and random playlists through which I’ve discovered many now favourite artists (e.g. Lorde, Father John Misty, Japanese Breakfast, Black Midi, etc.). Recently, I’ve switched to Apple Music (for reasons various). I was never that impressed with the Genius function - however, he infinite playlist feature is, I think, much improved. 

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 06 May 2022 at 7:38pm
I find going into to a record shop a very good way to discover new music, today I went into a shop and I was listening to a record and just had to have up until then I had never heard of them before (Honeyglaze)

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:12pm
Agreed, that's happened to me a number of times. I first discovered Hannah Lou Clark (then recording as Foe) and Bleached that way; there are others I can't bring to mind here and now.

Bandcamp is great but can consume a lot of time bouncing from one thing to another. I get the Bandcamp Weekly email shot, but don't always explore them very well. On YouTube I'd recommend the KEXP Seattle live shows. I discovered Anna von Hausswolff there, Samaris was another, the shows often have acts from countries other than the USA.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:39pm
It can get expensive but that's part of the joy of going to record shops spending your hard earned. This shop I go to as always got something play I've not heard before but fortunately for my bank account I don't always like it.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 20 May 2022 at 5:05pm
Has anyone heard of Lewsberg? have heard a few tracks today and they sound good, It's not the first time I've head of them.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net