Print Page | Close Window

PSU-1 for Reflex M

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4795
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PSU-1 for Reflex M
Posted By: patientot
Subject: PSU-1 for Reflex M
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 1:28pm
At the time I ordered my Reflex M I could not get the PSU-1, but have now just ordered one. Looking forward to the improvements it brings and doing some comparisons with the basic power supply.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Replies:
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:47pm
Set up the PSU-1. First thing I notice is that it's less noisy than the wall wart in my system. Tried the polarity both ways as suggested in the instructions - there was definitely a difference between rotating the adapter cord one way over the other. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: WigglyWoo
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:09pm
The PSU-1 is a great improvement on the Reflex M... would be interesting to hear the difference increment with the Enigma, although I guess the Enigma was really designed/developed for the Accession MC... might depend on how noisy the mains ring is in your house (?)...

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

The PSU-1 is a great improvement on the Reflex M... would be interesting to hear the difference increment with the Enigma, although I guess the Enigma was really designed/developed for the Accession MC... might depend on how noisy the mains ring is in your house (?)...

I wasn't even aware the Enigma would work with the Reflex M. I'd probably be more likely to consider the Enigma if I was running an MC cart and phono stage. Gonna live with the PSU-1 for awhile I think. Power here is not the best but not the worst either (I'm in a semi-urban area and live in a building constructed in the 70s). 

-------------

Posted By: harryt
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:32pm
Hello,
I just received my Reflex M with the PSU1 and I was wondering about rotating the adapter cord. Should you only try that after the unit has been on for awhile and exactly what differences should I be listening for?
I ask because I have 74 year old ears with slight tinnitus and may spend much time trying to hear differences I just can't hear.
Thanks for any information you can give.
Harry

Posted By: WigglyWoo
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:23pm
Hi Harry,

Am not sure on the question of whether to try it now or later once the Reflex M has been used for a while but it's certainly worth rotating the figure-8 cord and seeing what you find - as an engineer I thought this was voodoo until I tried it and actually found a difference.  Am sure others will understand and can inform on why there may be a difference at all but am assuming it's down to differences in the transformer primary and secondary windings... but anyway, from memory I found the difference to be subtle but producing a cleaner sound one way round versus the other...

The only good advice I can give is that once you've found a preferred orientation, you mark the cord and the PSU-1 with a blob of Tippex (or similar) so you don't forget should you ever need to disconnect later on...

Have fun,

David

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:28pm
Hi Harry,
Congratulations on getting a Reflex M - superb they are.Smile
My advice would be to let it run in for a couple of weeks or more and to allow you to familiarise
yourself with its sound & abilities before worrying about reversing the mains lead.
I found changing the lead polarity made very subtle differences ...but your mains supply 
may well make it worthwhile.

Edit: Just beaten to the post by Wigglywoo Smile

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by harryt harryt wrote:

Hello,
I just received my Reflex M with the PSU1 and I was wondering about rotating the adapter cord. Should you only try that after the unit has been on for awhile and exactly what differences should I be listening for?
I ask because I have 74 year old ears with slight tinnitus and may spend much time trying to hear differences I just can't hear.
Thanks for any information you can give.
Harry

What I did when I switched out the wall wart for the PSU was turn my volume knob to 11 or 12 o'clock with no music playing. Having the adapter cord one way versus the other produced less hiss, so that's what I used after trying it both ways. I then turned the volume down and started playing records. Not saying this is the best or only way to do it, it's just what I did. If you can't hear a difference in the polarity of the cord, maybe just don't worry about it. 

-------------

Posted By: harryt
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Thanks for all the great advice. I will hopefully be able to report back what I find out in a couple of weeks.
Harry

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 6:51pm
Yes please do Harry and welcome aboard.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: licuad0
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
I have a Reflex M and a PSU-1 that i got from the loaner program. Bruce sent it and i have listened to it for a few weeks now. it has excellent sound. i'll be purchasing one soon. used on 2 TT and 2 carts, the M has been on the whole of these weeks and gets nicer every day

-------------
______
Bryston amps and preamps, Vincent SP-20, JBL 2226H speakers, Yggdrasil DAC, Hana SL and Ortofon Blue 2M cartridges, Rotel preamp with Echo Layla and Studio One software for recording

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net