URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4780
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 8:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flat setting for digitizing?
Posted By: Kory
Subject: Flat setting for digitizing?
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:36pm
Hello Forum members,
I'm just about to try my first digitizing project using the Accession MM and a Schiit Jil ADC into VinylStudio. I'm wondering what other members would recommend with the Accession EQ setting? Would you recommend using the flat setting? I'm not planning to adjust EQ (not even sure if it's possible) in VinylStudio afterwards, I just want the best sounding file to begin with. Anybody have a recommendation?

-------------
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta

Replies:
Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:10am
Hi Kory,
I am hoping Bob will chip in here, he seems to do more digitising than many here.
While I believe eq is possible in Vinylstudio (which is the recording software I also use) I would tend to suggest that using the standard RIAA eq on the Accession will give the best results.
Personally I would only use the flat setting for records needing non-standard eq.
I suspect that your ADC will be the limiting factor for ultimate SQ.
I would record @ 24/96 on that device, although my own preference is to record @ 24/88.2 for subsequent downsampling to Redbook. 
The JIL does not offer this sample rate.
If post processing is required the higher sample rate may help to reduce artifact creation during post processing such as click removal etc.
As an aside, I find that I prefer to run the DL-103 with a 1K load set on the Exp, you may like to try that yourself.
Have fun.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
I use 48kHz and 16 bit, with EQ done by my AccMC.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:20pm
Thanks Tony and Jon for both these tips. I'm having a hard time so far getting the Jil to do anything but 48 bit. At 96 and 196 it's just total clipping or something. I'm looking for answers. But I can at least move forward at 48 and I'll let the AccMM do the EQ.

Cheers to you both. 

-------------
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:28am
IIRC with that device it is necessary to set the sample rate using the front panel switch and then make sure that the software is set to the same rate.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:12am
Thanks for the tip. I've tried making the adjustment through the software  but the problem still persists. It now appears to me more likely that it's something in the setting of the Macbook that misreads the file sent from the Jil ADC. I've tried all the possibilities I'm aware of and still have not found a fix. I'll keep searching. 
Thanks for your thoughts.

-------------
Kory

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:59am
On a Mac, check the settings in the Audio Midi Setup control panel - I seem to recall someone else on another forum having similar difficulties with that device on a Mac and resolving it in that way.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:45pm
I'm a bit late to this thread . . .  I leave the Accession EQ set to RIAA and record at 48/16 (which I find just fine for my vinyl rips and video soundtracks). I've no experience of VinylStudio software though - sorry.  I just take the output from my ADC (a Lexicon I-O22) and record into Twisted Wave for Mac, and sometimes Adobe Audition, adjusting the levels with the Accession's variable output and occasionally tweak the balance with the Lexicon's L-R level controls. 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:33pm
Thanks, Bob. I tried my setup at 48 which works just fine. For 96 and 192 it appears I have to figure out some setting on the mac to enable it to read those. I'm using VinylStudio on this first project and then I'll try some other software and decide which will be my long term solution.

-------------
Kory

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm
Quote I have to figure out some setting on the mac to enable it to read those.

Check my last post on the previous page that may help.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
Thank, Tony. That's exactly where I've been trying to fix this. I haven't quite hit on the total solution yet. Still trying different settings, and seeing what works. It has to be something with this setting. Fingers crossed I get it figured out.

-------------
Kory

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:23am
I am following up with some subsequent experiences in ripping vinyl. After trying the Schitt Jill, which in and of itself seemed to work just fine, I decided to try a different adc/dac that could play files as well as record. After some looking around I bought an Apogee Duet II. I really like it. I am recording at 96/24 through the Pure Vinyl application, but can choose 48, or 192 if I wish. I've tried all the variables: flat setting out of the Accession and then adding RIAA in the digital domain with Pure Vinyl; regular RIAA out of the Accession and using no further compensation in Pure Vinyl; and running straight into Pure Vinyl bypassing the Accession altogether and then adding RIAA in Pure Vinyl(which is Pure Vinyl's strong recommendation.) The best sound was #2: just let the Accession do the RIAA and don't add anything later. And the sound is really very, very good. At least I'm really happy. I love that there is a second set of outputs on the Accession, so it's easy to just send the signal to my little Duet, and from there into my computer and preamp for recording and listening to what I'm getting. Sweet little setup. My next experiments will be to compare 96 to 192 and see if I can tell any differences. 

-------------
Kory

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:36am
It's great you're getting good results from your setup, Kory! That second output on the Accession makes keeping it hooked up for recording and listening so easy! Thumbs Up

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net