Print Page | Close Window

Modified AT95

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: MM: Moving Magnet | MC: Moving Coil
Forum Description: Learn about the differences between moving magnet and moving coil cartridges here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4773
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Modified AT95
Posted By: CageyH
Subject: Modified AT95
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:13pm
I had a few bits lying around, so thought I would have a bit of fun.

Basically, I stripped down an old AT95 body I had, superglued in into the spare Denon 103 body I had sitting here, and then cut the stylus down to fit.

It ended up looking like this.

I am now thinking about adding the VMN-95ML stylus to it, as it sounds better than it should.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Replies:
Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 9:42pm
maybe you could try something even more exotic for the body?

How about a piece of coral or rare hardwood or moonrock? LOL  Sure it would sound better Smile  Sure it would sound out of this world!

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:57pm
I have actually decided to try an AT20SLa. I managed to get an original for the same price as a Paratrace stylus for the AT95, so figured this was the best move.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:25pm
I have just ordered an AT15SS stylus to go with this little beauty.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 7:41pm
The ATN15SS arrived today, (giving me an AT17.5SLaSS?).
I have plugged it in, and checked that the VTF is ok, at 1.5g.
Time to spin some black stuff....

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 5:51pm
A minor update. The AT20SS has been doing service on my T/T fit a while. I am very happy with it, and it is one of my favourite MM cartridges. I have a choice of three top notch MM now, the AT20SS, The AT150mlx and my Technics EPC-205 with Jico Neo SAS stylus.

I keep meaning to try it with the loan scheme Accession MM, but that keeps getting sent out for people to trial.

I think my MM side is sorted now, so I think I need to start saving some pennies for a much better MC than I currently have, although I don’t think it will be a major step up in performance.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
Read great things about those Technics carts but never actually heard one. Lots of vintage AT models that people seem to like as well. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I had a few bits lying around, so thought I would have a bit of fun.

Basically, I stripped down an old AT95 body I had, superglued in into the spare Denon 103 body I had sitting here, and then cut the stylus down to fit.

It ended up looking like this.

I am now thinking about adding the VMN-95ML stylus to it, as it sounds better than it should.

It has been rather damp recently here in the south west of France, so I decided to take this a little further. I changed the AT95 out for a VM95 in the Denon replacement body. As before, I superglued this into place. I then filled the gaps between the VM95 and the Denon replacement body with molten wax in a bid to dampen down/negate any vibrations that may otherwise be present.

The result with the Shibata stylus fitted is rather pleasant. I have no idea if it is any better, as I don’t remember exactly how the AT95 sounded before I swapped it out.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:39pm
 And to take it up a level, I have gone for a relatively pure vinyl system, which comprises of my modified SL1200 using the AT Frankencartridge, the Graham Slee Accession MM loan unit, feeding my Solo UL connected to my HiFiman Sundaras. 

It sounds superb. It makes me wonder if I should rethink my system, as you could have a really minimalist system using the Accession to feed the Proprius fitted directly to the back of your speakers. Very few boxes visible, and I am sure it would be an awesome sound.

-------------
Kevin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net