Print Page | Close Window

Accession with balanced output

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4741
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession with balanced output
Posted By: Hbuus
Subject: Accession with balanced output
Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Would it be possible to have a special-made Accession with balanced outputs at an extra cost?

It would be preferable for me when I do my vinyl rips, as my audio interface has balanced inputs.

Replies:
Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:00pm
A 'big Accession' has already been planned, and the addition of a balanced output had been thought about, and now to know somebody would make use of it... yes, of course! Wink

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Hbuus
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:46pm
That sounds really good! Thanks for the info Smile

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 1:07am
Great news!  I would also be interested in an Accession with balanced output. Graham, do you think there is benefit to using balanced output ? Will the circuit be balanced also? I'm just asking cause some swear that balanced circuit and output are the best for audio (ex:Balanced Audio Technology in USA). I own one of their amplifier and I must admit it sounds fantastic. I just don't have the technical knowledge to evaluate that claim. 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 5:54am
If you have balanced and non balanced outputs your ears should tell you?  On my CD player to amp the balanced were preferable even on a very short run of around 50cm.

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:44am
But, is that because of an inherent superiority, or just better implementation?

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:59am
Same cable reterminated was a case of different sonic attributes which on balance swung in favour of the XLR.  Not sure if that answers your point mick or not but can only judge by my own ears. My brother used an inferior cable on a the same CD player and Same brand preamp and preferred the XLR albeit with longer cable length until he could afford to have his original cable reterminated that XLR again at both ends. I did briefly hear a swap with his and did appear a little better again.  

Since I can only accommodate 1 XLR in my Amp I wouldn't want to take a backward step with my CD and widen the gap further widening the gap with vinyl!

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:26pm
that’s exactly the kind of information I was after!
Thanks.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:47pm
Single ended inputs are generally (after switching) into non-inverting op-amps to which there are complicated distortions, too much to explain in a short reply so I won't.

Balanced requires an inverting stage to one leg to invert its phase, and an inverting stage has one less distortion to worry about (common mode). But it still has a non-inverting input for the other leg.

I don't know if it's this difference in distortion people can hear, because it would seem there are distortion mechanisms people can hear, even if measurements suggest they're too low to hear.

But I find an inverting stage often sounds better to my ears, but then again, a single transistor stage as it was before the op-amp, is inverting, so it could simply be a 'nostalgic' difference I'm sensitive to.

Going back to the second paragraph above, I found a way to make both legs use inverting inputs and use that in the Proprius unbalance circuit.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: mhamilton
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 7:50am
Hello,
Are you willing to say how long until the big Accession will come along?
Will it have any additional line inputs ? 
I’d like to have fully differential system. 

About to order the current model, but a little wait may not kill me .... 

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:38am
Michael, the last 18 months of R&D have taught me not to even hazard a guess. In that time I've managed to do 2.9 products and hoping to reach the full 3 soon.

And if so, it's preamp time again (yippee) and another 3 products to design, one being the big Accession.

-------------

Posted By: RussL
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:48am
Hi Graham - I too would be (more than) interested as the phono stage being replaced, a Bryston 0.5B is balanced.  Looking forward to hear more.  Thanks.

Russ

-------------
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers

Posted By: pcourtney
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:26pm
Hi Graham, I too would very much like an MM Accession to have XLR input ( so that I can connect my Beogram 8002 turntable to the Accesssion) , and for the Accesssion to have XLR output to my Pre Amp (which has 3 stereo XLR inputs) , then I can easily switch between the 3 sources that I have

then I can include vinyl in my headphone rig, which would be fantastic for 2021  ( pretty please )  

Peter 
NB still absolutely love my little MM accession I bought from you guys back in 2016, but I need a Big Accession as well  ! 

-------------
GS Accession MM Pre, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amp and AKG K-1000 headphones

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by pcourtney pcourtney wrote:

...very much like an MM Accession to have XLR input ( so that I can connect my Beogram 8002 turntable to the Accesssion)...

Hi Peter, I'm guessing you mean a line level input for the Beogram 8002? The signal on pins 3 (left), 5 (right) and 2 (ground) on a 7 way DIN plug?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:44pm
the older Beograms have a 7 pin DIN plug, but my 8002 only has 5, so I think it goes like this 

Beogram 5 pin is Stereo Right Channel Hot
Beogram 3 pin is Stereo left  Channel Hot
Beogram 2 pin is Right and left Cold 
Earth is the indent tab  ( and pins 1 and 4 are not used ) 

thinking this through a little more, really all I need is a 5 pin B&O socket as an input on the Accession, and Balanced XLR stereo output, I also do not need a volume pot either ( so fixed output would be better for me ) 

suspect this is not quite what you had in mind for Big Accession version Graham ??

-------------
GS Accession MM Pre, Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amp and AKG K-1000 headphones

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 9:09am
I think it could have been Audio-Technica who made a range of analogue audio problem-solvers. Still, I've had a lot to carry in the grey matter, so it might not have been.

That was great in an era where it was of interest to many.  Now it's just the needs of the few - if that.

As the words of the song go, "if I could turn back time," I surely would. I don't think mankind gave analogue the chance it needed, and I think Bang & Olufsen were brilliant at demonstrating what could be achieved. Was the sound so bad that the review magazines had to destroy it? Or was it that there was no "bribery" budget?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 9:32am
I have heard about 10 or 12 turntables through your MM Accession, and the RWA headphone amp and the K-1000 headphones, decks from L*nn, Pink Triangle Anniversary, Technics 1200, Michell and lots more, all die hard Moving Magnet fans, using carts from Goldring to Shure and lots of other high end names that ruled the roost back in the late seventies, and the Beogram 8002 is not so bad after all, in fact using the B&O MMC1 and MMC2 carts that I have, and the more recent Soundsmith SMMC2, it does a remarkable job of playing vinyl without fuss and bother, the accuracy of the clock is 100%, the MMC1 (moving micro cross) is hard to fault, and I have changed the attitudes of many friends who have come round to listen to the 8002, they no longer dismiss B&O, and go away with doubts about what reviewers say, and about what people say on forums who have probably never heard a Beogram setup properly, but your Accession is the crown jewels Graham I have to say, probably makes any turntable sound like mine :-)

Posted By: MrScott
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 9:41pm
Hi Graham,
After more than ten happy years listen to vinyl with my Graham Slee Gram Amp2 SE (paired with Goldring 2500) I would like to upgrade in 2021. An MM Accession with balanced output would be perfect. So should I wait just a few more months?

Happy New Year Beer

Posted By: MusiCol
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:20am
I too would be interested in an Accession with balanced output but my biggest request is for the RCA’s to be placed further apart as it’s a very tight fit to get my cables connected… I can’t tighten the connectors since they are jammed against each other!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net