Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4662
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Meze 99 Classic
Posted By: CageyH
Subject: Meze 99 Classic
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:03pm
Has anybody tried these headphones with a Solo Ultra Linear?
I am using headphones more and more these days so as not to disturb the family. I fancy something different to my Sennheisers, so I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on them?

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Replies:
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:30pm
I would also be interested in thoughts on planar headphones, but the ones closer to the bottom end of the price range.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
hi Kevin,
   I spent some time with the HifiMan HE560. It sounded wonderful, but developed a fault within two days. A little googling around revealed my issue was common, and the dealer replaced them immediately without fuss. Unfortunately, the next pair, despite also sounding really terrific, developed the same fault a week later. Sad. I was really enjoying them. 
The following week a local shop had a sale on all the Focal headphones. Again sadness gripped my as I realized I just couldn’t afford the Utopia headphone! However, I bought the Elear and haven’t looked back! It sounds obviously better than the 560, but it should do seeing it costs more. 
I’m not sure I’ll try planar again, because of the poor reputation, but I’m also sure I’m painting them all with the same brush.
Good luck!

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: SnrDidcot
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm
I just recently bought a pair of Grado sr80e open back headphone for £69 in the Sevenoaks sale

Might still upset the family ( a lot of the sound escapes ), but for the money they are brilliant.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:55pm
I am sat in my listening room (man cave) and the family are normally downstairs.
I can have open backs if I want.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:19pm
Not quite the same as the Meze 99 classic but also magnaplanar.. I use Audeze LCD-2's with my Solo ULDE and it's a good combination.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:37am
Like Jon I use LCD-2s. I also have a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open 'phones. These are seriously good for the price too.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:37am
Thanks. I have heard that the LCD-2 don’t “boogie” well.
I have quite an eclectic taste and want something really dynamic with a bit of slam to compliment the HD540 Ref II and HD650.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Like Jon I use LCD-2s. I also have a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open 'phones. These are seriously good for the price too.

The Aeon flow are a little bit more than I want to spend right now, but they do look interesting.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:16pm
If you can borrow or get a demo of the LCD2's they do sound very good and make my foot tap. They are full bodied sounding rather than bright and these things are all a matter of personal preference.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:31am
You are driving them with a Solo Ultra Linear?

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:33am
The Aeon Flows spend most their time hooked up to my Novo, and sound splendid. The LCD-2s are with the ULDE.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Thanks. I have read comments that they are power hungry, and remember Ash running his Planars from a set of Proprius amps, hence the concern. I don’t want to replace my Solo UL if I can help it.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
Hi Kevin,
The Sennheiser HD800S (black version) have excellent slam & dynamics with the Solo UL -
which drives them well. The 'S' version is quite a bit better than the silver '800.
If they are within budget new, used or ex-demo it would be worth giving them a try. 

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:37am
The 800s are a little bit more than I want to spend right now.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:42pm
I went for a pair of HiFiman Sundara in the end. €349 for a set of planar magnetic headphones?
They arrived today, and they sound great right out of the box.

I may look at a better pair later in the year if I get on well with these.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm
Nice one Kevin. Happy listening.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net