Print Page | Close Window

Lautus/Cusat review

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Cables and Interconnects
Forum Name: Write A Review
Forum Description: Open to all our satisfied interconnect owners - share your experiences here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4658
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 3:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lautus/Cusat review
Posted By: KevG
Subject: Lautus/Cusat review
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:31pm
I'd first like to say thanks to Graham Slee for the loaner service and to Fatmangolf for facilitating the loan of a pair each of Lautus and Cusat RCA phono interconnects for me to audition.

I spent many hours auditioning all the equipment I own. Although that was many years ago now, I've remained happy with the sound. The speaker cable and interconnects I bought back then were similarly tested. They were made by a startup company whose name escapes me. Five years ago I bought some Spatia cables and was impressed with the difference they brought to my system. The cables they replaced and my present interconnects were made by a long defunct startup company whose name I’ve forgotten, but chosen like the system after a long time auditioning. It made good sense then to audition some more Graham Slee cables as  prospective upgrade. I’ve added a tracklist below just to give an idea of what I was listening to.

I hooked up the amp and mono blocs with the Lautus cable, connecting the CD player with the Cusats. The difference was noticeable and always positive. I’d expected to hear bigger improvements listening to quiet arrangements like Cluster One and Weightless. The margins between my cables and GSP’s was small but not insignificant. Midrange was fuller and soundstage better defined. This was equally true with violin, piano and electronica. Bass was shorn of cotton wool and had a greater definition. It was here that I noticed the greatest difference. This was even more pronounced on Neil Young’s Ramada Inn, where the vocal remained very natural and wasn’t lost in the guitar overdrive. The many solo runs had a wonderful space around them. 

I’m not going to ramble on. I was very impressed by the Lautus/Cusat combination. I have some more cables to try before I settle on my final choice. My old interconnects didn’t embarrass me in the comparison but the positive attributes of the GSP cables were more than sufficient to make them a tough act to beat.

Neil Cowley Trio/Spacebound Apes/Weightless
Sam Lee/Ground of its Own/The Tan Yard Side
Lambchop/FLOTUS/In Care of 8675309
Pink Floyd/The Division Bell/Cluster One
Gillian Welch/Time (The Revelator)/Revelator
Neil Young & Crazy Horse/Psychedelic Pill/Ramada Inn
Nitin Sawney/Beyond Skin/Nadia
Suede/Dog Man Star/The Wild Ones
Robert Wyatt/EPS/Shipbuilding
Nick Lowe/The Impossible Bird/Te Beast in Me
Radiohead/A Moon Shaped Pool/Burn The Witch
Gideon Kremer/JS Bach Sonatas & Partitas for violin solo
Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/So What

-------------
Sugden AU51/Symetra mono blocs.
Sugden SDT1 CD player
Harbeth Compact 7 speakers

Replies:
Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:59pm
I really must try the Lautus sometime. It will be interesting to see how it compares with my home made Neotech NEI-1002 UP-OCC Silver based Interconnects.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
Thanks for sharing this Kevin.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 7:41pm
Now I have replaced all interconnects with CuSat50s, The one thing that has impressed me the most is the sound stage, it's hard for me to put it into words the only way I can put it is, When I listen to a recording male or female when singing their voice just seemed to pop out at you and instruments you can hear where they are around the singer like you are there listening to the band live. I have not experienced this before. I'm so glad I spent the money on them. It's money well spent IMO and I don't think getting new speakers would have giving me that. IMO I think I would have had to spend well into a 4 figure sum to get that (so the CuSat50s have saved me money) and people say cables don't make a difference

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:28pm
Different instruments spread across the room, sounding real not exaggerated or shrill. Good cables that are neutral and open sounding let the rest of your equipment do its job better.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 10:05pm
Jon
That's words I'd used.
It just opens the music up.
Since I have been listening with these cables I have not been listen with headphones so I think this weekend that's on the cards to see what difference they make. Will report back later.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 5:01pm
How are you getting on Jon?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:18pm
I have not got round to listening with my headphones yet enjoying listening with my speaker too much. Fact is since I have had my new GS cables I have not used my headphones at all. I have got some new music on order should be coming this week, I like to listen to new music with headphones. So will report back soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:19pm
That's good Jon. Those new cables are doing their job, revealing your music!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 10:17pm
They were a vary good investment.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 2:53pm
I have just got round to listening with my headphones with the new cables and to cut things short I'm getting the same thing as with my speaker so I'm vary happy, these cable have really open up the music for me.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 10:28pm
A fantastic win, Jon. I love my Slee cable loom, too.
Mick

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 6:57pm
Mick
I like the way these cables look too. They are a quality item and I do also like that you can tighten the connections to your box's but most of all it has to be the sound that I'm getting. there is only one down side that I have found and that is they do stick out so I do need more space at the back of my rack than I did with my old cables, but that is a small price to pay.
I'm a VARY HAPPY with them, I don't think they will need replacing, unless Mr Slee comes up with a mr2 of these cables.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:48pm
Mk2 - interesting thought…

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 8:20am
Personally I saw the Lautus as a sort of mark 2 Cusat50 for longer cables... So it is an interesting idea. What else could be added in a mark 2?

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 11:55am
I did try to explain the physics regarding the Lautus cables, and why they had to have the length they have, but somebody describing himself as a 'university lecturer' (anonymously), was able to get the law  (the government controlled ASA) to take it down. Freedom of speech depends on our dystopia's interpretation of the truth, and where you are in the food chain.

The Lautus idea was based on applying inductance to nodes and antinodes.

I see the 'law' has been unsuccessful in removing this, or is simply ignorant of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_ - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_ (physics) (probably because the link doesn't work, but it came up as the result for a Google search for nodes and antinodes in cables)

My problem is I don't have the laboratory gear to generate the high MHz frequencies which the theory of the Lautus design 'exploits'. My spend on analytical test gear is already disproportionate (means versus size), to just about every other manufacturer.

Where I can irrefutably prove the electronics side of things through measurement and publish anything they want to try me with, I am unable to do the same with cables, and so there will not be any Mk2.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 7:15pm
The cables do sound better and I've used your methodology on other cables, thank you Graham. It's probably a dead issue now but what if the ferrites stopped a DAB receiver getting its signal?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The cables do sound better and I've used your methodology on other cables, thank you Graham. It's probably a dead issue now but what if the ferrites stopped a DAB receiver getting its signal?

Do they?

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: gwebster
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

My problem is I don't have the laboratory gear to generate the high MHz frequencies which the theory of the Lautus design 'exploits'. 
Does the type of gear you would need equate to stuff that a radio ham would use? I was watching my son run some checks on an antenna rig he was making and the cheap VSWR meter he had would work up into the GHz frequencies

-------------
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:24am
I think that's a good suggestion Geoff. My was much more basic. If DAB frequencies are one of the main offenders there is the test signal. Use a longish Cusat cable in the atntenna download and swap it over to a Lautus of the same length. Maybe I have misunderstood.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by gwebster gwebster wrote:

Does the type of gear you would need equate to stuff that a radio ham would use? I was watching my son run some checks on an antenna rig he was making and the cheap VSWR meter he had would work up into the GHz frequencies
Info from my son:- "Not quite sure what's going on in this thread but if you want to check out the capability, you were watching me use a NanoVNA V2, mine has SMA(F) connections on the ports.  Lots of info on the web about them and I haven't even scratched the surface, I'm just doing the simplest of measurements (VSWR).  Have a search around and see if it suits." I had a quick look and the gear costs around £80. Only Graham can really say if this is of any use to him.

-------------
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:14pm
I've observed voltage standing waves while looking for differences between identical length CuSat50 and Lautus cables, but to no avail as the signal generator only goes to 20MHz. Fun to watch apparent gain from wire, but it cannot prove my intentions. I'm afraid theory isn't good enough, unless it's an adopted theory, but mine isn't.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm

I've observed voltage standing waves while looking for differences between identical length CuSat50 and Lautus cables, but to no avail as the signal generator only goes to 20MHz. Fun to watch apparent gain from wire, but it cannot prove my intentions. I'm afraid theory isn't good enough, unless it's an adopted theory, but mine isn't.
The Vector Network Analyzer my son has will sweep from 50kHz up to 2GHz. All he would need is a cable with RF type connectors (N-type or SMA) in place of RCA/Phono and could run a cable test across those frequencies to get meaningful measurements. Worth pursuing?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 8:51pm
I've no idea what results he'll get but if BNC's are acceptable, I can supply adaptors, then it will be a complete test. John C is stand-in UK loan coordinator, so I can ask him to send a mono of each.

And if that doesn't tell us anything, then the difference must be a figment of our imagination Wink

-------------

Posted By: jwatson
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:01am
How are you measuring the VSWR at the moment? The addition of Ferrites to a coaxial cable can be an effective way to suppress common mode currents but would have little effect on the differential currents measured when determining VSWR of a cable/load in a conventional VSWR measurement.

Any measurement would obviously have to take into account the differences in impedances between the 50ohm VNA and the 75ohm audio cable/connectors used in hifi interconnects.  For a short lengths of good quality cable like this, I would expect that the effects of mis-matches at the adapters/cable terminations to dominate the results.

-------------
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by jwatson jwatson wrote:

How are you measuring the VSWR at the moment? 

I'm not. Like I said "fun to watch..." It doesn't explain a damn thing, and unless I can measure some attenuation at 100 and 200 MHz, then it's completely subjective, and I would be happy to leave it like that. However, suitably equipped members here can have a go and I'm happy to loan them the cables.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 1:42pm

I've no idea what results he'll get but if BNC's are acceptable, I can supply adaptors, then it will be a complete test. John C is stand-in UK loan coordinator, so I can ask him to send a mono of each.

And if that doesn't tell us anything, then the difference must be a figment of our imagination Wink
BNC is fine, son has adapters to take that to the SMA(F) ports of the VNA. Shall I PM John with contact details?

PS Apart from son being radio ham, his day job is Sat-coms design (airborne, mobile, fixed), so should be able to get something meaningful from this exercise

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:25pm
Thanks for persevering with this. Your son's equipment sounds just the ticket.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 11:38am
I've now carried out the return loss and transmission loss measurements on the 1.5m long CuSat50 and Lautus cables Graham sent me. These were carried out using a http://www.sysjoint.com/en/content/?144.html - Nano-VNA-F V2 vector network analyser.

Before each plot, the VNA was calibrated using the standard open/short/load/through procedure. The resulting plots are attached:

CuSat50

Lautus

I also ran a second set of plots for the Lautus using the CuSat within the calibration regime. This was done to normalise the plot relative to the CuSat and highlight any differences attributable to having the ferrites in place.

It's pretty clear that there's no visible difference between the two types of cable as far as any signal being transmitted through the cables. 

What I'm not able to do with the test gear available to me is look at the effectiveness of the cable screen with regard to externally induced RFI (cable screen outer boundary acting as an antenna). This is where the ferrites will really be having an impact. Looking into available methods to test this ( http://info.belden.com/hubfs/resources/technical/other/implementation-of-iec-61196-1-shielded-screening-attenuation-test-method-report.pdf - Belden do it  this way ) show that it could be done using a VNA by addition of a test setup to measure signal leakage in the other direction (from inside the cable and picked up on the outside of the screen). I'm afraid that's not something I'm going to be able to rig up.

I'm sorry that my tests aren't able to provide objective evidence to validate the benefits of the Lautus design. It was worth a try.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 1:02pm
Thank you Geoff for doing this work and sharing the results clearly.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:30am
Graham is using ferrites in the construction of Lautus cables as a means of suppressing interference from unwanted external, principally FM and DAB (and maybe mobile phone) emissions. This is a well known mitigation method against RFI and its certainly possible to demonstrate its benefits.

http://alloutput.com/amateur-radio/ethernet-rfi-noise-reduction/ - As an example , my son was experiencing the negative effects of the electrical noise environment within his house on his Ham radio setup (remote controlled radios and loft mounted antennas). By strategic use of ferrites on his cabling, he was able to significantly reduce the RFI impact. He was also able to visibly detect, measure and demonstrate the effects at each stage of his journey in mitigating the RFI impact.

While the affected signals he was interested in aren't in the audio spectrum, the RFI effect on the system is the same as Graham looks to mitigate for audio with the Lautus cables.

Geoff
BTW - I'm still looking at how we might get objective measurements with the Lautus cable to support their benefits 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:39am
I understand that many people enjoy the engineering nitty-gritty of measurements, etc, but I’m still stuck, myself. Can someone who enjoys it please try to explain to me what it is about measurements that are exciting them? Is it as simple as the hobbyist enjoyment of the technical deep-dive? Or is it something more? I’ve never had a technical bent for electronics, but I’m an A1 nerd about woodwind reeds and acoustics. I suppose everyone has their thing. 
Cheers,
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 8:17pm
I bought a secondhand music server last year that I connected directly to my Majestic dac using an old Chord usb cable. It was fine and I added a ferrite choke at a calculated distance along the cable. A bit better until recently I thought why am I not trying a Lautus USB cable? So I ordered one and it arrived today.

First impression is very positive none of the shiny new cable sound. I decided to push some music through it from a long playlist and dip in now and then. Very good so far... (To be continued)

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:37pm
I am very glad I bought a Lautus USB cable. It Not only sounds more musical, I've heard a number of details that lost in the mix until now. Voices and lead instruments are clearer and more natural. I am also more aware of the room an orchestra is playing in.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:58pm
I was always impressed with the sound quality through the Lautus USB cable.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: Delfalex
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm
It was in trialling different USBs that I stumbled across the Lautus Power cable; it blew me away compared to what I'd experienced before; a bit like discovering truly organic veg after having being fed a diet of supermarket produce - beautiful; enjoyable.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 9:34pm
I wish I had bought a Lautus USB cable sooner. I ordered one as a birthday treat. I only got my streamer last year, years after I quit the link scheme so I only used the loan cable with the Bitzie. I remember the combo being very good. Now having the cable linking my streamer to the Majestic dac is wonderful.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net